List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have the room and are using one of our picks in the 60’s - and he’s still available, I’d love to have a crack at Josh Cripps, Patrick’s younger brother. 199cm ruck / forward that is now coming good after a knee reconstruction last year.

Him and Benning are both long shots that will have a year or two to get up to speed and possibly replace Lobb. Given both are more long shot than first round plug and play then might be better to hedge our bets and get both !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know I know "next years draft is always better" but going from eDPS rankings, you can get a genuine number 1 KPF next year anywhere in the first round.

I'm back on the "1 of Amiss/JVR and then Benning boat" for this year, soz wayToGo_

I dont disagree majorly but I think we need to prioritise a Tall Forward that means 8 or 10. 19 the best will likely be gone.

Our tall Forwards are essentially Tabs, Treacy and a flaky Lobb who might well be gone this time next year.

We need to draft a Tall Forward whilst theres high value forwards available.
The scary thing is Treacy was a rookie and could just have easily been crap. With Lobb looking for an exit too we are very lucky to have even those three able to perform at their levels. It's actually mind blowing reading the threads here how little interest some have in actually pushing for the best talls while we have this draft hand.

IMO JVR reminds me of McPharlin. Similarly could also end up that tall forward that ends up being a stand out in the back line. Would work out too as a future duo with Cox and that helps when Pearce goes to the new Tassie team as captain and as Hamling ages out of the team. However, still possibly leaves us that tall short... My guess is Erasmus, JVR, then Williams at 19 and Benning cat B and Motlop if he makes it past 40 which seems more likely now. That would future proof us with 3 mids coming in of different types (extractor, wing, mid/forward), a small goal kicking forward, a forward/ruck, a CHF/B, and a CHF.

Last edited:
I know I know "next years draft is always better" but going from eDPS rankings, you can get a genuine number 1 KPF next year anywhere in the first round.

I'm back on the "1 of Amiss/JVR and then Benning boat" for this year, soz wayToGo_
yeah but what if we would be reaching for them? You can't take someone if you're reaching. Then we would have to wait until the next year. :moustache:

The scary thing is Treacy was a rookie and could just have easily been crap. With Lobb looking for an exit too we are very lucky to have even those three able to perform at their levels. It's actually mind blowing reading the threads here how little interest some have in actually pushing for the best talls while we have this draft hand.

Obviously we drafted Polak and the Pav but we have never drafted another one in that sort of region. Its been late first round after the best have gone.

I just think that whilst we have high picks and WA Talls who are quality we should be doing that at least one. 19 is just the same ol same old.

yeah but what if we would be reaching for them? You can't take someone if you're reaching. Then we would have to wait until the next year. :moustache:
Haha, define reaching? Ten picks ahead of your talent rating? Five?

I know you're not really criticising me but after pulling back from the hype of that first game, my issue remains that I dont think there are any number 1 KPFs in this years pool except MAYBE Williams who has the size but probably doesnt have the output and scope as Amiss/JVR.

Next year I think you can get that a lot easier and I think we need that more than a 2nd or 3rd tall type player that I think we have in Treacy.

Still want one of Amiss/JVR but I think two is overkill when we have other list holes to fill

I see our need for a high quality small to medium forward as higher than a tall forward.
There are also quite a few TALLER key forwards and forward rucks available next year.

I'd rather the best ball user we can get first and Rachele, so Rachele can start partnering Sturt etc ASAP

Schultz, Sturt , Henry not floating your boat as small to medium forwards
Amiss and JVR are within reach . Why wait until next draft when Freo can put the work into these to now. A bird in the hand etc.

Haha, define reaching? Ten picks ahead of your talent rating? Five?

I know you're not really criticising me but after pulling back from the hype of that first game, my issue remains that I dont think there are any number 1 KPFs in this years pool except MAYBE Williams who has the size but probably doesnt have the output and scope as Amiss/JVR.

Next year I think you can get that a lot easier and I think we need that more than a 2nd or 3rd tall type player that I think we have in Treacy.

Still want one of Amiss/JVR but I think two is overkill when we have other list holes to fill
just having a laugh.

Reaching (verb): selecting a human male in the AFL draft at a pick higher than was previously proposed in the many reiterations published by Cal Twomey or an anonymous poster on the internet site Big Footy.

Obviously we drafted Polak and the Pav but we have never drafted another one in that sort of region. Its been late first round after the best have gone.

I just think that whilst we have high picks and WA Talls who are quality we should be doing that at least one. 19 is just the same ol same old.
But here is the disconnect: We don't know this. We have absolutely no way of knowing where the club ranks these players internally. Right now some of the media and amature experts have just one of the three WA talls ranked up near our picks, but that could change as they get some more info out of the clubs either directly or indirectly.
What if Walls has all of them ranked in the early 20s? If their final testing doesn't move them you want him reaching all that way? They won't and we all know it.

As long as we get at least one (preferably the best one available in the draft) and some other forwards I am more than fine with it. I'm thinking something like...

8: Rachele/Erasmus/Johnson/Andrew
10: JVR
24ish: Hough
40ish: Knevitt/Motlop
Cat B: Benning
Rookie: Fejo Jnr

Then next year grab a tall forward/ruck (eg Broadbent/Condon/etc) and a gun midfielder (using our 1st and the extra currency we get from trading #19) and then a few of our NGA prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we expecting to have Lobb request a trade at the end of next season?

Will a club still offer him a deal until he is 32 assuming we don't?

I honestly think the request was a ploy by Young to try and get a 2 year extension that we wouldn't offer. If he has a good year I can see us stumping up another 2 years

As long as we get at least one (preferably the best one available in the draft) and some other forwards I am more than fine with it. I'm thinking something like...

8: Rachele/Erasmus/Johnson/Andrew
10: JVR
24ish: Hough
40ish: Knevitt/Motlop
Cat B: Benning
Rookie: Fejo Jnr

Then next year grab a tall forward/ruck (eg Broadbent/Condon/etc) and a gun midfielder (using our 1st and the extra currency we get from trading #19) and then a few of our NGA prospects.
A good point you inadvertently raise on pick 10/19. We clearly want to be in a position to trade 19 if the option comes up (which it will) so I wonder if that comes into account at pick 10. If we have JVR/Amiss rated around 15 and we want one of them, it would be silly to gamble they will be there at 19 because it limits our options in trading it out. Pick one of them at 10 and lock it in then we have a lot of flexibility.

On the JVR/Amiss discussions I'd be leaning heavily towards JVR from what I've seen AND taking into account the above. I think Amiss may have the ceiling but JVR's traits and positional flexibility to me give him a much higher floor. It's hard not to see JVR being at least a 100 game player at AFL. You'd think he makes it somewhere on the ground.

Amiss has a Gunston/Cameron ceiling but also a sub 50 game floor bust to me, I'd kill to find out what Wallsy and co are thinking

Last edited:
I see our need for a high quality small to medium forward as higher than a tall forward.
There are also quite a few TALLER key forwards and forward rucks available next year.

I'd rather the best ball user we can get first and Rachele, so Rachele can start partnering Sturt etc ASAP
Tall forwards can take years to develop so if we dont do it this year it just delays us another 12 months. Imagine if we would have picked Naughton instead of Cerra. It is still a big risk whether Sturt's body is going to ever hold up given his career so far.

But here is the disconnect: We don't know this. We have absolutely no way of knowing where the club ranks these players internally. Right now some of the media and amature experts have just one of the three WA talls ranked up near our picks, but that could change as they get some more info out of the clubs either directly or indirectly.
What if Walls has all of them ranked in the early 20s? If their final testing doesn't move them you want him reaching all that way? They won't and we all know it.

No we dont know how good these forwards are except for their presence in the mock drafts etc We dont know how Walls etc rank them. Nor do we know if they are even good eg Polak was disappointing relative to his draft pick.

Time will tell as we get more info on them.. But if they do we should get one high.

A good point you raise inadvertently raise on pick 10/19. We clearly want to be in a position to trade 19 if the option comes up (which it will) so I wonder if that comes into account at pick 10. If we have JVR/Amiss rated around 15 and we want one of them, it would be silly to gamble they will be there at 19 because it limits our options in trading it out. Pick one of them at 10 and lock it in then we have a lot of flexibility.

On the JVR/Amiss discussions I'd be leaning heavily towards JVR from what I've seen AND taking into account the above. I think Amiss may have the ceiling but JVR's traits and positional flexibility to me give him a much higher floor. It's hard not to see JVR being at least a 100 game player at AFL. You'd think he makes it somewhere on the ground.

Amiss has a Gunston/Cameron ceiling but also a sub 50 game floor bust to me, I'd kill to find out what Wallsy and co are thinking
I personally think Amiss has been and remains overrated in Twomey's phantom. And likewise I think JVR has been underrated and I am half expecting him to come back in even further in his October phantom. In a dream scenario the recruiters agree and don't take the risk on Amiss and he slides to our 3rd pick. But if he doesn't then I think someone like a Hough would be a good alternate option. If you got 2 of JVR/Amiss/Hough I think you cover off the 2nd/3rd/medium forward gaps on our list quite well.

I think this guy is a good alternative to check out as an alternative to NWM (although he might not last to the rookie list):

Schultz, Sturt , Henry not floating your boat as small to medium forwards
Amiss and JVR are within reach . Why wait until next draft when Freo can put the work into these to now. A bird in the hand etc.

Schultz is ok...for 50% of games he pushes into the good category.

Sturt is full of possibility.

Henry is a winger IMO

I personally think Amiss has been and remains overrated in Twomey's phantom. And likewise I think JVR has been underrated and I am half expecting him to come back in even further in his October phantom. In a dream scenario the recruiters agree and don't take the risk on Amiss and he slides to our 3rd pick. But if he doesn't then I think someone like a Hough would be a good alternate option. If you got 2 of JVR/Amiss/Hough I think you cover off the 2nd/3rd/medium forward gaps on our list quite well.

I think this guy is a good alternative to check out as an alternative to NWM (although he might not last to the rookie list):
Normally the players get tested a lot don't they and we're not privy to it? We only see the combine testing results (and even then only top 10 in each category). Has this been the case this year? COVID may have interfered with it meaning players may move up and down the clubs order more than normally would do based on the final camp testing?
Even with this in mind I would not be surprised just on the vibe of it if Amiss goes between our picks and we're basically taking whichever tall left in the pool we prefer at whatever 19 becomes or a couple of places later if we trade it down. I think there is a reasonable prospect of us landing one of JVR or Williams. Not just because they are local talls: Just so happens 3 of the 4 of the non ruck talls in the top 30 pool as people see it right now are from WA! Notwithstanding someone high on our board slipping to our third pick of course*.

*Usual caveats apply. For all we know we do rate JVR around 10 and take him there etc. etc.

What free agents should we be targeting?

here are the 4 I found that interested me, and it is unlikely we would get any.

Daniel Rich - too old
Jordan De Goey
James Sicily
Isaac Heeney

Normally the players get tested a lot don't they and we're not privy to it? We only see the combine testing results (and even then only top 10 in each category). Has this been the case this year? COVID may have interfered with it meaning players may move up and down the clubs order more than normally would do based on the final camp testing?
Even with this in mind I would not be surprised just on the vibe of it if Amiss goes between our picks and we're basically taking whichever tall left in the pool we prefer at whatever 19 becomes or a couple of places later if we trade it down. I think there is a reasonable prospect of us landing one of JVR or Williams. Not just because they are local talls: Just so happens 3 of the 4 of the non ruck talls in the top 30 pool as people see it right now are from WA! Notwithstanding someone high on our board slipping to our third pick of course*.

*Usual caveats apply. For all we know we do rate JVR around 10 and take him there etc. etc.
Yeah I don't think they've had a chance to do much testing this year which is why I'm half expecting a lot more movement as the draft gets closer than we'd normally see. Twomey's kind of pre-empted this as well imo as he's said there's a clear top 4 but after that it seems you can almost throw a blanket over the next 20. They also haven't had that academy environment to assess and compare prospects either so it is a really limited data set relative to normal. I don't envy the recruiters this year. Could be some major steals but also some incredibly big draft busts. Walls has done a good job in recent drafts so just hoping that continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back