List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to that Footy Rhino podcast, sounds like we are putting together a warchest to lure someone over in the next two years. It's most likely Neale but I reckon we might have a crack at Bolton for 2023.

Just listened to that Footy Rhino podcast, sounds like we are putting together a warchest to lure someone over in the next two years. It's most likely Neale but I reckon we might have a crack at Bolton for 2023.
I’m not sure you would need a war chest for either of those 2.

Neale is coming to his twilight, and Bolton is not worth more than 500k.

We have a very good looking midfield already, we just need to build more quality, unless we get a shot at Jackson.

JVR coming home would be good also

Was a great listen. Salary cap room has become the new asset class in the last 3 years. It enabled us to trade a future second (around the 30 mark) to Gold Coast for Will Brodie and Pick 19 (Matt Johnson).

You have to remember we lost ground in the 2018 draft, brought in Hogan, Lobb, Sturt, Valente, Schultz, Bewley… not a great haul. We’ve managed to trade and acquire Jordan Clark who was drafted that year. But We lost ground on most other clubs.

Fortunately we were probably the most successful in 2016 and even 2017 was decent.

You have to remember we lost ground in the 2018 draft, brought in Hogan, Lobb, Sturt, Valente, Schultz, Bewley… not a great haul. We’ve managed to trade and acquire Jordan Clark who was drafted that year. But We lost ground on most other clubs.

Fortunately we were probably the most successful in 2016 and even 2017 was decent.
I haven’t given up hope on 2018 trade and draft period yet. Yes Hogan was a bust, Lobb is serviceable if he can stay on the park and Sturt and Valente could still prove good pickups, Bewely was a speculative pick anyway so not a lot lost there, Schultz is a ripper!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really only the Hogan trade. It just didn’t work out and we paid a high price. If makes you feel any better the third round pick we acquired to dump Hogan’s salary enabled Mundy to stay on in 2021 and the pick was used to select NGA B. Walker.

We really need to stay away from these high priced trades. I consider the Lobb and Wilson trades as a similar trade price range to Clark and I’m fine with these. But top 5-7 pick trades and more are just too high risk for mine.

Really only the Hogan trade. It just didn’t work out and we paid a high price. If makes you feel any better the third round pick we acquired to dump Hogan’s salary enabled Mundy to stay on in 2021 and the pick was used to select NGA B. Walker.

We really need to stay away from these high priced trades. I consider the Lobb and Wilson trades as a similar trade price range to Clark and I’m fine with these. But top 5-7 pick trades and more are just too high risk for mine.
What if Jackson was available?

Sibosado could really play. I watched him a fair bit in the WAFL. Kid could see the game & kick it like very few. I thought he looked easily up to the level in his one AFL match but revealed the problem by being gassed after a quarter or so.

Like a few of the muso mob from around Beagle Bay I’ve worked with lack of talent was definitely not the problem.

More that they come down here in Winter & start getting homesick for warm weather & turtle fishing. They’ve got a point. Not everyone has got the desire to run around in the freezing cold past the pain barrier.

But I wouldn’t knock Quayle for identifying him as a real talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All fair points but I was myself seeking to balance the argument. Not all that she rated turned to gold.

As we know only to well with our drafting history, talent is only half the story. That indefinable drive for excellence and innate competitiveness also has to be part of the equation for an above average AFL player.

All fair points but I was myself seeking to balance the argument. Not all that she rated turned to gold.

As we know only to well with our drafting history, talent is only half the story. That indefinable drive for excellence and innate competitiveness also has to be part of the equation for an above average AFL player.

Indeed. I completely agree. I just enjoyed having a little reminiscing about Sibo really. Could have been anything.
I backed his sister in a band in a concert up there (One Arm Point) back in the day too. She was pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if Jackson was available?
From what my daughter tells me - and she is friends with Luke’s brother that is a pipe dream.

As a hypothetical depends on the price. The trade price scares me, but he is a generational talent. For once in a generation talent I’m willing to consider. I’d prefer to wait for Free Agency.

Josh Carr, Des Headland, Chris Tarrant, Trent Croad, Jesse Hogan. We over paid.

Yeah I'm peeved we didn't grab Horne-Francis.
We couldn’t have got Horne-Francis but Bazzo + Howes were real gettable on top of
our 1st three.

Pick 22 instead of Clark could have been split for a late 20s + mid 30s pick.

Would hope we see how good kids like Logan and Jackson are before throwing around warchests. We've seen enough of Headland's and Kelly's to know some are talented and add handsomely to really good teams but don't have whatever it is that players like Fyfe and Cripps (and Fev back in the day) and others have to drag their crap teams over the line against better opponents. Would want to see what they can do consistently at AFL level when their teams actually need to depend on them, not as third forwards or forward/ruck. Guys like Cameron and Lynch deserved warchests for performance and kept up their end of the bargain, Logan and jackson do not, at least yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back