Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
A disaster signing your best player for 4 years at $600k...when best players at other clubs are getting way north of that..so we are running a charity it seems
Clearly they don't think he's our best player, and didn't want to keep him.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Didnt he win the gold jacket the season before when he played a full season?
They didn't want to keep him because they foolishly thought he was a lock for the pick after our 1st (pick 2) when it was the VAFL we were dealing with re compo. By the time the realisation that they had badly miscalculated (****ed up) big time they had burnt all their bridges with Crouch and his management.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
They didn't want to keep him because they foolishly thought he was a lock for the pick after our 1st (pick 2) when it was the VAFL we were dealing with re compo. By the time the realisation that they had badly miscalculated (f’ed up) big time they had burnt all their bridges with Crouch and his management.
No, I think they just didn't want him at the club.

They wanted better than 23, obviously - but he always wanted to stay and we could have re-signed him at any point. But he's a player that had never been part of any leadership group and we just didn't seem to think he was worth having long-term.

They may end up being wrong. I've always really liked Crouch. But they clearly didn't want him here.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
No, I think they just didn't want him at the club.

They wanted better than 23, obviously - but he always wanted to stay and we could have re-signed him at any point. But he's a player that had never been part of any leadership group and we just didn't seem to think he was worth having long-term.

They may end up being wrong. I've always really liked Crouch. But they clearly didn't want him here.
And it felt like it even before the drug deal.

At 600K it seems like a bargain, even if the contract length was a bit much for a player with his injury history

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
4 years of quality footy from a good midfielder benefits the kids coming through with him.

He's the one I'd have built around. In 3 years time as we begin ascending he should still be playing good footy. It's not like he's been banged up a lot. Plus the added bonus that missing games = opportunities for the next generation. Pick 2 with Hately replacing for pick 30ish was too good to not have a crack at though. Turned out to be a total disaster. Mirror image of Gibbs' inward trade.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He's the one I'd have built around. In 3 years time as we begin ascending he should still be playing good footy. It's not like he's been banged up a lot. Plus the added bonus that missing games = opportunities for the next generation. Pick 2 with Hately replacing for pick 30ish was too good to not have a crack at though. Turned out to be a total disaster. Mirror image of Gibbs' inward trade.
I'd build around Matt. More durable, more consistent and every bit as good.

Brad's body isn't banged up per se.... But it's very unreliable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back