AFLW 2021 List management & trade stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Sharni Webb will be back next season she miss this season pregnancy. She’ll replace Zielkes in the backline.
That'd be nice, but I wouldn't 100% count on it. I don't know if she's even given birth yet, supposed to be sometime this month. Doesn't leave a lot of time to prepare for a return to footy with the season starting 2 months earlier now.

I thought she was pretty good.
Excellent for the 101st (2nd last) pick in the draft.

The list of 35-year-olds in the league has now been whittled down to Hetherington, Staunton, McWilliams and Phillips... plus Downie and Loynes. Though one can imagine Hawthorn politely begging Perera to make an AFLW comeback in the future, or even Geelong doing the same with Jess Foley.

Ruby Svarc got delisted by the Lions the other day by got resigned on a one year deal due to Rheanne Lugg retiring.

Last edited:
Still haven't heard any re-signing announcements from St Kilda or Geelong--two teams without a coach confirmed for next season.

West Coast also haven't officially revealed anything in the player retention department, but I think they are at 5 vacant spots by subtracting the 10 delistings (from the squad of 33 that it blew out to) while adding Schmidt and Gooch, or 6 if Ashton Hill remains inactive.

Adelaide don't have to make any more changes, but they are yet to say anything about Angela Foley's contract either way. Perhaps that will happen tomorrow, which is when I assume they also intend to post a headline regarding Phillips.

Fremantle delisted Katie-Jayne Grieve, however they have thrown castaways a lifeline several times before, and Trent Cooper is quoted as saying "Picking her up in the July draft is an option that we are keeping open."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bulldogs are going nowhere if Cranston is in their best 21. But as somebody to turn to in the event of injuries (and Deanna Berry is already one who's out of commission), pretty worthwhile signing.

Grierson, Emonson, Downie, Gooch and now Monahan all squeezed out from their starting lineups and all quickly found new homes. Collectively a better backline than most teams in the league.

That may be the last nugget of news for the delisted free agents, though I'll be dumbfounded if the Cats and Suns don't have any rookie signings for Gaelic footballers in the works. And there's also the matter of where Ben Simmons' sister* will end up--dunno when the signing period closes for those types, however.

*definitely inaccurate... like a Ben Simmons free throw

The Bulldogs are going nowhere if Cranston is in their best 21. But as somebody to turn to in the event of injuries (and Deanna Berry is already one who's out of commission), pretty worthwhile signing.

Grierson, Emonson, Downie, Gooch and now Monahan all squeezed out from their starting lineups and all quickly found new homes. Collectively a better backline than most teams in the league.

That may be the last nugget of news for the delisted free agents, though I'll be dumbfounded if the Cats and Suns don't have any rookie signings for Gaelic footballers in the works. And there's also the matter of where Ben Simmons' sister* will end up--dunno when the signing period closes for those types, however.

*definitely inaccurate... like a Ben Simmons free throw

Good point regarding further Irish signings, obviously there would be a cutoff prior to the draft and possibility of any club with less than 27 signing players.

Given international border problems it may be harder to convince players to come over but at least half a dozen this year and higher numbers in expansion years would be possible given the success of some of the Irish players to date.

There will be at least one other rookie signing of a basketballer, with Paige Price (~18y 2m, 188cm) set to play for a Melbourne-based team (and I'm guessing it's St Kilda).

Last edited:
And the Crows it shall be for Jasmine Simmons:

Hewett returning to Adelaide following Metcalfe being named as inactive for 2021.

Gould is probably number 1 ruck but it will be interesting to see whether Hewett or McKinnon gets the number 2 spot and whether they play 2 rucks in the side.

Screwing up the new edition of my 100MVP list. Also, less importantly, somewhat of an inconvenience for Fremantle.

Screwing up the new edition of my 100MVP list. Also, less importantly, somewhat of an inconvenience for Fremantle.
Life is more important than footy.

It does make me think that maybe the AFL women should be better paid.

Happiness is also more important than money.

A lot of the comments I've read about Sabreena seem to insinuate that having football clubs throw cash at her is what she wants. Doesn't ring true to me.

Confirmation at the end of that article re Millie Brown placed on Geelong's inactive list, thereby allowing the Cats to use all four of their draft picks.

Also worth mentioning delisted players Erin Todd (GWS) and Ali Brown (StK) were drafted tonight, by the Giants and Melbourne respectively. Akec Makur Chuot (Rich) and Kim Rennie (WB->NM) were also picked up as expected.

There's a fair bit of outrage in the women's footy community on Twitter this evening about the St Kilda coaching job going to Nick Dal Santo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back