List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Fish is a favourite of mine. Am a strong believer in his talent but concede he's had an underwhelming few years.

Young enough and talented enough to turn it around and be a part of a good side with us, but my strong preference is for us to move him up the ground.

He's not a small forward.

Fish is a favourite of mine. Am a strong believer in his talent but concede he's had an underwhelming few years.

Young enough and talented enough to turn it around and be a part of a good side with us, but my strong preference is for us to move him up the ground.

That last line, spot on

I see him as a high HF, that works up to the fringe of a stoppage to be that 2nd/3rd outlet and the occasional centre bounce stoppage

5 years in the system and hasn’t really done much
- one top 10 B&F finish
- can’t think of a game where he would have ever been in the conversation for best on ground honours (maybe vs Bulldogs in 2019?)
- less than 1/4 career games of more than 20 disposals in a game
He’s just too light and lacking stamina to succeed in the midfield and not consistent with his pressure, positioning or goal kicking to succeed in the small forward role (also I’d imagine he’s never played in the backline before so that’s not an option)....so I really don’t know what role he will succeed in.
I really want to be proven wrong so it’s not hate just my opinion formed on evidence over a period of time.
I hope you are proven wrong as well.

I'm sure he'll play better in a stronger side - and we'll have a stronger side next year, so it's not long time to find out :D

So what’s his role? Midfield?

I think we could add them both. Stocker as a bull, Kemp as the smooth outside runner after Stocker dishes it out to him 😍

I do have to wonder what will happen with Zac Williams now. Will he be forced to play of HBF permanently? I'm thinking so.

Completely new coaching lineup - would have to think any previous "promises" about playing positions are out the window.

- one top 10 B&F finish
- can’t think of a game where he would have ever been in the conversation for best on ground honours (maybe vs Bulldogs in 2019?)
He’s just too light and lacking stamina to succeed in the midfield and not consistent with his pressure, positioning or goal kicking to succeed in the small forward role (also I’d imagine he’s never played in the backline before so that’s not an option)....so I really don’t know what role he will succeed in.
I really want to be proven wrong so it’s not hate just my opinion formed on evidence over a period of time.

That game where he came back from injury and kicked 4 against WC, was decent

Playing as a small forward/flanker in average sides is a tough gig, especially with how we moved the ball/inside 50 entries

He ain't a mid either.

That game where he came back from injury and kicked 4 against WC, was decent

Playing as a small forward/flanker in average sides is a tough gig, especially with how we moved the ball/inside 50 entries
He certainly showed signs in that game that he could possibly play as a small forward but he hasn’t really come close to replicating that effort since.
I think he is a midfielder but I just don’t think he is or ever will be a good AFL level midfielder.
If he does have a breakout series next year (top 5 or 6 in B&F) then I’ll happily admit I was wrong.

He certainly showed signs in that game that he could possibly play as a small forward but he hasn’t really come close to replicating that effort since.
I think he is a midfielder but I just don’t think he is or ever will be a good AFL level midfielder.
If he does have a breakout series next year (top 5 or 6 in B&F) then I’ll happily admit I was wrong.

I don't see him as a small forward or mid, I see him as a high HF, used as an outlet type on the fringe of a contest

But where, this is my issue with Fog. The pre Blues highlights reel seemed to be as a hard tackling HFF but he's a chip-kick and not a good shot for goal. Do we need to sacrifice our HFF for these types or actually play someone who can hit the scoreboard?

I fear we have Fog / Gibbons / Owies playing for 1 spot. With Eddie gone Honey will play the whole season and hopefully penetrate; add 2-3 talls and then we have JSOS and Martin as marking HFFs.... I can't see another spot for him.
shambo, think owies a chance even with honey in the team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shambo, think owies a chance even with honey in the team?

Yeah I do actually. Owies managed 30 shots at goal and was a good kick....w ell, until he wasn't. And then the last month of the season where he wasn't picked. I think he could kick 30 in a good year.

Honey is different, has outside pace and quick reflexes. I think Owies took Gibbons / Fog's spot in the team. But that's me.

High half forward with some midfield time, as per Arr0w.

Maybe not full time, but can certainly move through the midfield and add to centre bounce rotations.

Great side step and his hands in close are outstanding.

If he is in the midfield, we are playing basically a man down in there then. Midfielders are big bulls, he would be an amazing mid at local footy, but unfortunately doesn’t have the frame to play afl midfield.

Out of curiosity, has there been any 70 kilo mids do any good in the afl?

- one top 10 B&F finish

Used to love Fish but it's apparent he's not built for AFL football. One of those talented kids who would wipe you in a school yard game or a park basketball 1v1 but not on an AFL pitch against big men. Feel similar vibes for SPS I'm afraid.

Used to love Fish but it's apparent he's not built for AFL football. One of those talented kids who would wipe you in a school yard game or a park basketball 1v1 but not on an AFL pitch against big men. Feel similar vibes for SPS I'm afraid.

I might be an old codger but my first piece of advice to Fisher would be to ditch the mullet, clean himself up and come back looking like a footballer.

His wiry frame and natural stoop, coupled with the haircut just makes him look he's not fair dinkum and therefore expendable.

You used the word 'vibe' - Fish has to change the vibe that surrounds him.

Is there any line of sight by anyone on whether Gibbons will get another contract or do we think he is done?
I certainly haven’t heard or read anything to say he is signed up. I’ve got no problem with Gibbons getting another year, although I do worry about the similarities with Fog means we are wasting a list spot having the both of them.

I think we could add them both. Stocker as a bull, Kemp as the smooth outside runner after Stocker dishes it out to him 😍

I do have to wonder what will happen with Zac Williams now. Will he be forced to play of HBF permanently? I'm thinking so.

Next year is going to be massive for Williams.
A lot of the criticisms levelled at him this year were also sent Steven May’s way in his first year at Melbourne and his response since has been awesome.
It would be amazing, albeit possibly unrealistic, to think he’ll become an A grade midfielder, but I’d be really happy if he becomes an All Australian squad level half back, top 5 in our B&F level output.
If he has a another poor year missing games with minor injuries and suspension then it’s likely we are saddled with a salary cap headache for the next 4 seasons.

Mitchell noise has been around for a while.

If we were a cemented top 4 side, I understanding taking a punt for a late 1st, but not yet.

I guess it's like the Saad deal in essence

Let's be patient when looking at these type of deals

If Mitchell is a chance and we can get it done for next year's first we should make it happen IMO.

If Mitchell is a chance and we can get it done for next year's first we should make it happen IMO.

Lol a first rounder ... maybe a second ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back