List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Vaccination requirement is a once-off though.
Do you know that as fact? COVID isn't going anywhere. I'm referring to the general principle of clubs seeking to move on high priced older players: let's reach a settlement, call it a retirement and we can supplement the list. Clubs walk away like bandits and older players are cast into retirement.

They can allow us to move Jones off the list before the draft so we can use 64.

That may not be compensation though - there's every chance we'd rather replace Jones with an experienced player rather than a kid with a late pick in a compromised Covid draft.

That may not be compensation though - there's every chance we'd rather replace Jones with an experienced player rather than a kid with a late pick in a compromised Covid draft.
At least we can select that experienced player in the draft before other clubs get a chance via rookie or get ahead of us for a supplementary selection.

Do you know that as fact? COVID isn't going anywhere. I'm referring to the general principle of clubs seeking to move on high priced older players: let's reach a settlement, call it a retirement and we can supplement the list. Clubs walk away like bandits and older players are cast into retirement.
Even if boosters are required in due course everyone on a list will already have had their initial shots.

So in terms of players being forced / choosing to retire instead of getting vaccination it only applies in this off season.

Question, which given the late hour, hope it makes sense... Let's say AFL allows us to remove LJ from list for list lodgement purposes, and we are able to sign a DFA or FA tomorrow... Could someone who applied for 2020 draft but not selected then be signed up before the ND - even if they have put their name in again in 2021 for the ND?

Yeap

Given that we have planned to go with only 36 Senior players, we have a spot to pick a DFA.
Ideally, the AFL will allow us to remove Jones from the list before the draft, but worse case scenario, we can replace him, and Cottrell just has to wait to the SSP period to officially go back on the rookie list.

You have rolled out this "36 senior players" a number of times, but with Jones retiring we can add another 2 players to the senior list, despite elevating Kennedy and or Honey( that situation could now change)

As for SSP, It could be Cottrell or LOB

Last edited:
Even if boosters are required in due course everyone on a list will already have had their initial shots.

So in terms of players being forced / choosing to retire instead of getting vaccination it only applies in this off season.
I'm talking about the entirety of the precedent.

Just looking at an article by Nic Negrepontis regarding the Suns' trading blunders over the last 5 years, and oddly he didn't include them refusing two second rounders for Martin, and eventually losing him for nothing in 2019.

Can anyone remember what number those second rounders were, and who the Suns could have potentially taken with those picks? I know one was our future second at the time.

Ed: Just remembered this was the year the AFL rolled out the golden assistance package to the Suns so second rounders weren't worth squat to them.

Last edited:
Why not go after Rory Thompson in the national draft play weitering and young as lock downs and Thompson as the Jones role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still under the firm belief that we're much better off finding a Jones replacement (or depth behind OMac/Young) in a mature aged prospect through the pre-season SSP rather than an 18 year old from the draft. That being said, I still have a really good feeling about Leek Alleer who sort of ticks both those boxes.

If we go down the DFA path then there are 3 names that stick out - Michael Hartley is the main one but Kaiden Brand and Ryan Garthwaite are still solid depth options.

If we're looking for the 'best of the worst' (best state league players out of those who go un-drafted) then Charlie Dean, Blake Schlensog, Noah Pegoraro and Jack Hayes all look very promising.

I would love if we could get 5 or so of them to train with us over pre-season. See how they match up on Harry/Charlie/JSOS and then pick the best one. We're not going to find an instant A-grader, but at least it provides a bit of selection pressure for our potential Jones replacements.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
Draft a KPP in the 20s (one of the WA Lads)

Throw at the stump with pick in the 60s. More likely than ever to find a Gem considering the last 24 months.

Take a Ruck Prospect in the Rookie Draft.

Akuei as a Cat B.

Job done.

We should know after practice matches - expect Gov to get games through there.

Not sure on Marchy's recovery time line but hopefully he is up and running by time of praccy games.

Jonesy cant be replaced - he is an elite one on one defender - his timing coming off his man and intercept - Absolute mastered it. Think only Marchy and Gov can come close this type of intercept power.

From a list balance perspective, surprised we still have all 3 of Newnes, Lob and Cotts on our list after taking Cerra and Hewitt.
Feel like one of them should have been moved on which would have given us better options for the upcoming drafts.
I probably would have moved on Newnes as his output seemed to have declined this year

From a list balance perspective, surprised we still have all 3 of Newnes, Lob and Cotts on our list after taking Cerra and Hewitt.
Feel like one of them should have been moved on which would have given us better options for the upcoming drafts.
I probably would have moved on Newnes as his output seemed to have declined this year
Despite them able to rotate through there, neither Cerra nor Hewett are genuine wingers.

Amused Gold Coast have now lost Hugh Greenwood to North.
Please Carlton, grab Rory Thompson so we can make this the double shot to their stupidity of de-listing both.
Tried to get too clever and deserve to lose both of them.

I got the lolz, but hasnt played in 3 years and has done 2 (?) ACLs...

Hard no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back