List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love Cerra, just find it hard to think we have that sort of room available in our cap when signing McKay & Cripps and I hope we re-sign Walsh before seasons end, after paying overs for Williams and Saad.

With the facts now in front of us all, it's hard to argue.. But, looks like we are in a bit of a pickle :sadv1:
Looking at our list positions, coaching group and footy department. We may need a mini overhaul to move forward..

All the areas below no doubt have great people and they got us where we are today..
But, we now need people in the right places to take us the next step and beyond..
  • Footy Department - Maybe time to move on Lloyd and Co or at very least have our CEO stay out of list management and focus on his own role
  • Coaches Box - Full over haul time to move on Barker, Bruce, Amos? & Stanton (O'Keefe and Baker not sure can not comment)
  • List - Time to move on ageing players, upgrading depth players and stop trying to chase the magic unicorn player (Merrett, Cerra) never works
Personally have more faith in list managers Austin and his crew to get it done, than I did with SOS

But, how do we do it with minimal picks, trade commodity and money.. Is the million dollar question?

Last edited:
With the facts in front of us all, looks like we are in a bit of a pickle :sadv1:
Looking at our list positions, coaching group and footy department. We may need a mini overhaul to move forward..

• Footy Department - Maybe time to move on Lloyd and Co or at very least have our CEO stay out of list management and focus on his own role
  • Coaches Box - Full over haul time to move on Barker, Bruce, Amos? & Stanton (O'Keefe and Baker not sure can not comment)
  • List - Time to move on ageing players, upgrading depth players and stop trying to chase the magic unicorn player (Merrett, Cerra) never works
Personally have more faith in Austin and his crew to get it done, than I did with SOS

How do we do it with minimal picks, trade commodity and money.. Is the million dollar question?

Yup all valid points that need urgent attention, supporters are frustrated and flabbergasted that we’re in the position we’re in. Next 4 ton6 matches will decide should we be thrashed badly , in a few the changes will come.
One would look seriously at Cripps, McGovern, Curnow Charlie & Marchbank and future potential carefully, come need year, let’s face it for the amount of cap space they demand, we’ve had very little satisfaction in return.

I'm going to put out a list for discussion, and I'm certain it's going to be controversial, but here we go:

Players who panic, or squirm out of making decisive disposals (by hand, by foot, or both):
Docherty, Walsh, Philp, Kennedy

Players who sometimes panic, or squirm out of making decisive disposals (by hand, by foot, or both):
Dow, SPS, Cripps, Fisher, Newnes, Gibbons, Honey

Players who squirm out of taking regulation shots on goal too often:
JSOS, Walsh, Setterfield, McKay, Jones

The ones are those that concern me for the long term development of our list, and should be of paramount focus in coaching and skill development, and aside from Dow and Philp have little to nothing to do with their kicking actions.

Newnes should be a weapon with his kicking, and should be better inside the contest, but instead we get a physical powerful winger who has never been able to exert his authority beyond occasionally being able to wear down his opponent. He rarely hits it flat and stamps any authority on our ball movement despite having the ability to do so.

Docherty and Walsh constantly undo their excellent decision making with their skill execution. Pre-injury, Docherty's long kicking and well-timed overlap was one of his strengths.

JSOS and McKay shouldn't be struggling so much when you put them beyond a 45 degree angle outside 35 metres from goal, and Jack should have a lot more confidence kicking from the pocket.

EDIT: added emphasis for lists

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Austin I'd be trying to push to make sweeping but sensible changes.

Cripps - would love him to stay but if he needs to go he can head back to Freo in exchange for Cerra and a draft pick to go with him (From what I've heard his partners mental health is his priority and I'd rather him just go home to get everything sorted and be the player we have loved for a WA team - Cerra & late 1st rounder
Mcgovern - off to whoever will take his contract off our hands for the next two years - 4th rounder
SPS - off to WA, there would be some suitors around even if not back in WA perhaps SA - 2nd Rounder
Dow - to Essendon - late 2nd rounder
LoB - to Pies as they asked for last year. - 3rd rounder
Plowman - off to any suitor possible. - late 2nd/3rd rounder

Delist/Retire -
- Murph
- Casboult
- Betts
- Marchy (Love the kid but can't get on the park and is soaking up salary space)

Targets -
- Adam Cerra - Cripps trade
- Jordan Clark - late first/early 2nd rounder
- Pat Lipinski - 2nd/3rd rounder
- Sam Dekoning
- Ben Mckay
- Karl Amon - Late first/early 2nd
- Dan Houston
- Brandon Parfitt
- Callum Coleman Jones - Not sure... 3rd rounder?
- Bailey Smith
- Ben Ainsworth
- James Worpel
- Jarrod Berry - Pick around 15
- Riley Collier Dawkins - 3rd rounder
- Jack Petrucelle - Early 3rd rounder
- Dylan Williams - Pick Swaps
- Deven Robertson - 2nd/3rd rounder

Bold = probably gettable

Would love to some of these changes however being realistic only 5-6 changes would be a likely chance including the retiring of Murph and Betts. Adding Clark Cerra Berry and Lipinski alone would be a massive upgrade on our foot skills and running ability around the ground.

Bringing in quality trainers who are pushing into top teams in the league can provide us with a change in culture from young driven players. Weiters should be captain imo as he's our most consistent player and continuously holds his teammates responsible instead of playing hero ball and being weak defensively.

The doggies are a great example that leaders don't have to be veterans and past their use by date players. I would love to see a youth approach with actual quality youth that are competitive and motivated to do well.

I loved players like SPS Dow and LoB at the start of their careers but sometimes players are swallowed up by their surroundings and unfortunately they were drafted into an absolute debacle of a club at the time and I think a change of club could do all of them a world of wonder. Some of them will turn it around I'm sure and all I can say is I hope it's with us before the end of the year... and plz god SPS back in the middle or on a wing.

I think we have a lot of the right people in the club now and it seems like our newer draftees are getting far better support and development than in prior years so I would be more than happy to bring in young prospects rather than trying to bring in in their prime stars costing a premium.
Fog has been just as if not more impactful than Saad and Williams and he cost a pick in the 50s

If I was Austin I'd be trying to push to make sweeping but sensible changes.

Cripps - would love him to stay but if he needs to go he can head back to Freo in exchange for Cerra and a draft pick to go with him (From what I've heard his partners mental health is his priority and I'd rather him just go home to get everything sorted and be the player we have loved for a WA team - Cerra & late 1st rounder
Mcgovern - off to whoever will take his contract off our hands for the next two years - 4th rounder
SPS - off to WA, there would be some suitors around even if not back in WA perhaps SA - 2nd Rounder
Dow - to Essendon - late 2nd rounder
LoB - to Pies as they asked for last year. - 3rd rounder
Plowman - off to any suitor possible. - late 2nd/3rd rounder

Cripps and McGovern aside, these aren't sensible changes.

I'm going to put out a list for discussion, and I'm certain it's going to be controversial, but here we go:

Players who panic, or squirm out of making decisive disposals (by hand, by foot, or both):
Docherty, Walsh, Philp, Kennedy

Players who sometimes panic, or squirm out of making decisive disposals (by hand, by foot, or both):
Dow, SPS, Cripps, Fisher, Newnes, Gibbons, Honey

Players who squirm out of taking regulation shots on goal too often:
JSOS, Walsh, Setterfield, McKay, Jones

The ones are those that concern me for the long term development of our list, and should be of paramount focus in coaching and skill development, and aside from Dow and Philp have little to nothing to do with their kicking actions.

Newnes should be a weapon with his kicking, and should be better inside the contest, but instead we get a physical powerful winger who has never been able to exert his authority beyond occasionally being able to wear down his opponent. He rarely hits it flat and stamps any authority on our ball movement despite having the ability to do so.

Docherty and Walsh constantly undo their excellent decision making with their skill execution. Pre-injury, Docherty's long kicking and well-timed overlap was one of his strengths.

JSOS and McKay shouldn't be struggling so much when you put them beyond a 45 degree angle outside 35 metres from goal, and Jack should have a lot more confidence kicking from the pocket.

EDIT: added emphasis for lists

Yet no mention of Murphy squirming at any level?

Cripps and McGovern aside, these aren't sensible changes.
I won't tell you you're wrong but imo moving Dow and LoB would be beneficial for their careers and help us bring in a new mix of talent to the team and address some of our list needs. If they are on the list next year I'll support them but I think their talents would be better utilized elsewhere.

Plowman I've seen enough of, tries his guts out but if you compare 3rd talls from the best teams in the comp all of them peel off and intercept. Provide much more to the team than individual defense. Nick Vlaustin a prime example.

SPS don't doubt him as a player whatsoever but is wasted at half back and still would have currency to bring in players to fill our holes in the list

All just my opinion but my number one priority would be moving Mcgovern to anyone who will take him.

Interesting stat in Peter Ryan’s Age article here in which he points out our draft failings eg SPS, Dow and LOB

“ On Saturday night Carlton had just five players drafted between 2015 and 2020 in the team. By comparison, Sydney had 14”

Pretty damning and a little scary when thinking about the future.

Interesting stat in Peter Ryan’s Age article here in which he points out our draft failings eg SPS, Dow and LOB

“ On Saturday night Carlton had just five players drafted between 2015 and 2020 in the team. By comparison, Sydney had 14”

Yep, it is alarming. Murphy, Levi, Ed and Eddie have all been pretty much mainstays this year. On the weekend these four played while Dow, LOB, Stocker, Cunners and Setterfield were in the 2s or sub. Why haven’t these kids gone past these four? It’s not as if any of the four are playing great footy this year. Says a bit about our development of youth. Stocker hopefully gets his chance this week. No point really analysing the last two drafts yet as they haven’t had enough time in the system to make a call but a lot of question marks over the kids mentioned above and also players in the team like SPS who aren’t performing particularly well

I'm beginning to wonder whether recruiting players with poor endurance works. I always found that trying to build elite endurance was just a good way to get injured and have niggles all the time. I just wonder whether that's an issue with us, recruiting talented footballer who lack that elite endurance and have to train really hard and just end up with injuries and soreness. It seems we have some players with good endurance who are one dimensional and lack a contested game or we have players who are genuine footballers who just can't cover the ground quick enough. Perhaps more development is needed.

Richmond have dominated for years now and a big part of that is because of their ability to run up and back as well as having football talent.
Richmond also has drafted players with low endurance in the past
Chol RCD , Dow , Bolton and even Dusty had bad endurance when he was drafted

Sydney still have Buddy, JPK, Rampe, Reid and Parker playing important roles, and free hits at club developed first and second round picks every other year.

We won’t feel the same sting when our 30+ year olds end up retiring, outside of Jones and ECurnow.

I missed the game yesterday so I can’t comment much on that, but something I feel needs to be addressed, where are we as a side?

There has been a lot of commentary around the Pies atm, with several commentators stating, they are in no mans land, neither challenging or rebuilding.

Although we are 2-3 my gut tells me we aren’t challenging, hopefully I’m wrong, but the worrying thing is, we aren’t rebuilding and we don’t seem to be building. Another poster previously pointed out that, we only had 5 players drafted between 2015-20 play last night, that’s shocking for a club that has invested so heavily in the draft.

We really need to decide where we are at and make team selections accordingly, to me, we aren’t playing enough kids/younger players.

There is no point going through the whole season playing Betts, Murph, Ed, Cas, and to an extent Newnes and finishing just outside the 8, when we could play the kids and actually develop a new small forward, half forward, tagger and finish 2-3 spots lower or maybe we could finish higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back