List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Left field one, could the Blues look at a player like Josh Schache. Was the second best KPP behind Weitering in 2015 Draft. Hasnt made it as a forward, would he have the potential to switch to defence??
Wouldn't cost alot either with Bulldogs likely to give more oportunity to Ugle-Hagan.

Could he do a Liam Jones? (Crap bulldogs forward, star Blues backman?)

Curnivore

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Owies game on the weekend might be cause for further consideration.

But Tyson Stengle is being closely monitored for Mid Season draft.

I'd be personally looking at a KPP/Ruck. But Stengle has potential boom if you willing to take on the risk.
He’s related to Betts too.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Left field one, could the Blues look at a player like Josh Schache. Was the second best KPP behind Weitering in 2015 Draft. Hasnt made it as a forward, would he have the potential to switch to defence??
Wouldn't cost alot either with Bulldogs likely to give more oportunity to Ugle-Hagan.
Pass. I just don't see it. If memory serves me the talk was he did well in juniors/TAC/whatever because of the fairly extreme anti-density laws, leading into space an taking effectively uncontested marks. Not sure how well that would translate to down back where he'd have to be looking for contact a lot of the time, not trying to avoid it.

Loramarthalas

All Australian
Jul 11, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure where else to put this but with all the angst of the the last couple of weeks, the weekend reminded us of a few things.

1. Between Harry, TDK and Weiterimg, our talls are set for a decade. Little bit more depth would be nice but the important work has been done. Often the hardest piece of the list puzzle.

2. We have 2 AA quality which I think you need to win a flag. Again, just need a bit more depth in that B grade category

3. Overall, we have built a fair bit of depth. There are some quality players in the 2s or injured. A few possibles when it comes to improving midfielders 3-6. It’s a big change for 3 years ago.

4. Pies aside, we’re beating the teams we should. Other 3 losses are against top 6 sides, albeit some disappointing aspects of those losses.

Some clear improvement required, particularly in terms of consistency of pressure and fwd/defensive structures but were going ok.

Agree with all of this but just wanted to point out that we have at least 4 AA-quality players on our list currently:
  • Weitering
  • Walsh
  • Cripps
  • Saad
Any of these 4 could be picked for the AA squad in a year where they avoid injury. That's more quality players than we've had since the Fev/Judd days. The rest of list lacks depth, but we have found some quality at least.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with all of this but just wanted to point out that we have at least 4 AA-quality players on our list currently:
  • Weitering
  • Walsh
  • Cripps
  • Saad
Any of these 4 could be picked for the AA squad in a year where they avoid injury. That's more quality players than we've had since the Fev/Judd days. The rest of list lacks depth, but we have found some quality at least.

Docherty is ex-AA, and H could loom as a possible inclusion. Jones is in & out of the rolling AA teams, depending on which Liam rocks up.

DC would be a bonus if he regularly brings the vs ESS version to the table.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Looked shy of AFL standard again on Friday night. See if he goes around again with selection with the Bulldogs.
Forward.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Docherty is ex-AA, and H could loom as a possible inclusion. Jones is in & out of the rolling AA teams, depending on which Liam rocks up.

DC would be a bonus if he regularly brings the vs ESS version to the table.
Charlie Curnow. Could be the best player in the comp if he gets fit and lives up to his potential

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Will be watching Weideman with interest this week. Tomlinson out injured means Tom McDonald probably moves down back and Weideman comes in to the forward line.

Don't think Melbourne would be in a rush to trade him, but if he doesn't set the world on fire he could well end up being dropped for more development time, which in turn could have him eyeing the door.

I think he'd be a viable target if Charlie went down again this year, but don't think he'd be wanting to go anywhere that won't assure him of senior selection. I could actually see a world where Weideman and a pick goes to Collingwood for De Goey...

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
1. Between Harry, TDK and Weiterimg, our talls are set for a decade. Little bit more depth would be nice but the important work has been done. Often the hardest piece of the list puzzle.
If the AA was named now none of Weitering, Walsh or McKay would look out of place in the spine. How are we struggling to stay in touch with the top 8.

On the positive, the oldest of that group is 23. If we can't put together a top 4 team around this spine over the next 5 years I give up.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Will be watching Weideman with interest this week. Tomlinson out injured means Tom McDonald probably moves down back and Weideman comes in to the forward line.

Don't think Melbourne would be in a rush to trade him, but if he doesn't set the world on fire he could well end up being dropped for more development time, which in turn could have him eyeing the door.

I think he'd be a viable target if Charlie went down again this year, but don't think he'd be wanting to go anywhere that won't assure him of senior selection. I could actually see a world where Weideman and a pick goes to Collingwood for De Goey...

Freo keen apparently

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If the AA was named now none of Weitering, Walsh or McKay would look out of place in the spine. How are we struggling to stay in touch with the top 8.

On the positive, the oldest of that group is 23. If we can't put together a top 4 team around this spine over the next 5 years I give up.
Issue is our senior stars are not performing, injured or combo.

Cripps - former AA in the prime of his life, former top 5 player of the comp. But playing well below his best and can't kick a set shot to save his life.
Docherty - former AA who has had to deal with knee recos and minor cancer scare. Playing well below his best from a defensive point of view, albeit still playing decently offensively.
Martin - Top 5 talent at the club. Injured for most of the season so far.
Williams - Top 10 talent at the club. Injured or suspended so far, can't get into rhythm.

These 4 (along with Saad) are our 5 senior players in that core age bracket which clubs rely on to carry the team. If all 4 + Saad were fit and firing, along with our 3 AA-calibre youngsters that would make a world of difference.

I've excluded Charlie given he is really an unknown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bokan

All Australian
Dec 21, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Got no heart

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Charlie Curnow. Could be the best player in the comp if he gets fit and lives up to his potential

McKay has been a slow burn, but with him now finally looking like a man and gun key forward, he and Charlie Curnow would arguably be the best key forward pairing in the comp. They'd certainly the best 'young' key forward pairing.

Such a shame we haven't been able to get them both on the park, it would be such a weapon for us and fun to watch. Defences would have a nightmare trying to cover both of them as they are both good marks and agile for key forwards.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry I bored.Everyone knows we lack talls on every line. Here are some names that I feel that may help fill the holes in our list.
Tom Fullerton, Dan Mcstay, Connor Ballenden, Sam Dekoning, Esava Ratugolea, Charlie Ballard, Caleb Graham, Sam Weideman, Harrison Petty, Toby Nankervis, Cal Coleman Jones, Mabior Chol, Jarrod Brander, Bailey Williams and Harry Edwards. It's a mixed bunch. Any thoughts who we should look at in trade time.
Sam DeKoning KPD...

BlueZombie

All Australian
Aug 7, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Australian Cricket team
  • Weitering
  • Walsh
  • Cripps
  • Saad
4? I'd argue we have maybe 7 of AA quality - Harry could be in contention for an AA forward spot this year the way he's going ATM + what about a fully fit Charlie & Martin? Our team has so much genuine class it makes it all the more inexplicable that we are where we are on the ladder.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
4? I'd argue we have maybe 7 of AA quality - Harry could be in contention for an AA forward spot this year the way he's going ATM + what about a fully fit Charlie & Martin? Our team has so much genuine class it makes it all the more inexplicable that we are where we are on the ladder.
Sorry but Martin is not close to AA quality.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
As someone mentioned in another post, paying around 1.6 million per season for 2 half back flankers is insane.
Edit (looks like I responded to your wrong post)

Why don’t you rate saad?

He adds a lot of value to our backline. He is super quick, can chase and tackle, run and carry and is a decent kick. Most of the time he gets the ball when we are pressure he puts the jets on and carries it out of congestion and frees us up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back