List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Austin surely needs to be questioned. Zac Williams on 900k x 6 years. Not a midfielder. Fogarty is being found out. Can understand why he couldn’t get a game at the cats. Saad just a pass mark. Not worth pick 8.

Geez you don't mind going early do you?

Did you question SOS when he traded Smedts and Lang who both couldn't get a game at the Cats either?

No disrespect intended, but would you be willing to give up effectively more than two top 10 picks for Cripps? Because that's what Cerra + 1st equates to. I think if you got Cerra in return for Cripps, you'd be ecstatic. His form has dropped immensely, and Cerra is a future A grader for sure

I’d be creative and trade SPS for Cerra on the grounds that we don’t match and get band 1

Cerra and 1st round compo for Cripps and SPS.

Only if Cripps wants to go and get two selections in the top 10.

KPF/RUCK
  • Weideman (OOC)/ Riccardi (OOC)/ Brander (OOC)
  • McLean (OOC) - Swans
  • Marshall (OOC 2022) - Port Forward 38 games for 39 goals
  • Coleman-Jones (OOC) - Forward/Ruck, first game this weekend
  • Frampton (OOC 2022) - Adelaide Forward/Ruck
  • Schache (OOC 2022)- Only as last resort if there are no suitable KPP left
KPD
  • Ben McKay (OOC)
  • Sicily (OOC 2022) - Maybe cheap because coming off a knee, offers the mongrel we need and leadership
  • Lukosius (OOC 2022) - Worth a look elite by foot
RUCK
  • Flynn (OOC) - GWS
  • Lynch (OOC) - Collingwood
  • Darcy (OOC 2022) - Would prefer the others first

MIDFIELDER & FORWARD UPGRADES
  • Fogarty (OOC) - Adelaide. Only if Russell believes he can get him fit, big body, De Goey style Mid/ Forward, elite kick
  • Lipinski (OOC) - Bulldogs. Elite by foot Forward/ Mid (Upgrade)
  • Richards (OOC) - Bulldogs. Speedy, elite by foot Forward/ Mid (Upgrade)
  • Constable (OOC) - Geelong
  • West (OOC 2022) - Bulldogs inside mid F&S, could be an absolute steal
  • Cameron (OOC 2022) - Played 12 games for 13 goals
  • Sholl (OOC 2022) - Probably off limits with Adelaide now

Others that I hope we are looking at are-

KPD
  • Sam De Konning - Doubt Geelong let him go but could be a gun KPD/Ruck
  • Ben Mckay (Nth) - Harry's brother, getting better every week.. Doubt his gettable
RUCK
  • Callum Colman Jones (RICH) - Stuck behind a few in the pecking order at Richmond, athletic Ruck/ Forward
FORWARD
  • Jarrod Cameron (WCE) - Charlies brother, performed well in his AFL games, just behind so many small forwards at West Coast..
    Could be a gun small forward given the chance
  • Darcy Fogerty (ADE) - Would be worth bugger all.. Could be a good forward that attends the centre bounces Dusty style, also excellent kick..
    Needs fitness ASAP
  • Patric Lipinski (WBD) - Can't seem to crack Bulldogs midfield or forward line, super user of the ball
KPF
  • Jarron Brander (WCE) - Started career as a tall winger, would be hard to get as is getting game time, may want to come home to Vic
  • Jake Riccardi (GWS) - Would be a great 2nd forward/ Ruck to Mckay.. Would be hard to get rated highly by GWS
MIDFIELDERS
  • Rhylee West (WBD)- Could be the steal of trade week (Josh Kennedy (SYDNEY) style), looks to be a promising inside mid. May look for opportunities elsewhere.. But has a strong Father Son connection
  • Ed Richards (WBD)- Another Promising Mid/ Forward, may be gettable from the dogs with their bursting mids.. Had a broken leg
  • Adam Cerra (FRE) - Good young midfielder, Comes with a large price tag, Picks/ Money that I don't think we should pay
  • Josh Dunkley (WBD) - Super midfielder, Comes with a large price tag, Picks/ Money that I don't think we should pay
  • Zach Merrett (ESS) - Super Star Mid, Is a free agent. Comes with a large price tag, that I think we would pay
  • Tom Green (GWS) - Highly rated young mid, that seems to have stagnated at GWS, getting games though
WING
  • Fraser Rosman (MELB) - This kid could be a freak, super talented and x factor.. Not sure why he went late in the draft, maybe needs time
Wow, great couple of posts here. Is there a place you found OOC players by position, or was it just in general?

I think we personally need 2 KPDs (one to replace Marchy/Levi, the other for general depth), a KPF/ruck, a winger for a Newnes/Cottrell replacement, and an elite mid (because Cripps just isn't that anymore 😞 ). I've tried to sort some players out who I think we should look at, and are out of contract this year too:

KPD - McKay

KPF - Weideman, Riccardi,

Ruck - Flynn (gws), Coleman-Jones

KPF/ruck - McLean (syd), De Koning (gee)

Wing/Mid - Merrett, Kelly (gws), Green (gws), Cerra, Constable

It's still too early on in the year to be making exact mock trades, and we don't even know if Cripps/Harry will re-sign, but this is definitely a topic to keep coming back to.

Last edited:
I think this heatmap illustrates the point.

View attachment 1123746

Carlton on the right.

We try to stretch the ground too much. Makes it too easy to pick holes in our defensive structures because players are so far apart.

Edit: wrong thread. Could a mod please move it. Thanks

I agree, been saying it for a while. Dogs essentially halved the field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this heatmap illustrates the point.

View attachment 1123746

Carlton on the right.

We try to stretch the ground too much. Makes it too easy to pick holes in our defensive structures because players are so far apart.

Edit: wrong thread. Could a mod please move it. Thanks
Yep, our defensive press is horrible and all wrong, we guard dead space instead of pushing up higher and tighter over the entire ground giving ourselves a much better chance of not being opened up so easily..

Concerned where we are at with our list management and payment structure, since SOS left..
On what we learn and on the face of it. Looks like it is getting/got out of control, we are recklessly spending in the pursuit of the 8, not a flag.

Reportedly (Bolded not signed yet, ** over paid for their output)
**Saad - $650-$750
**Williams - $800-$900
**Cripps - $800+
Harry - $800-$1m
Walsh - $800+
**Curnow - $700-$800
**McGovern - $700+
**Martin - $650-$700
Thats = $6,100,000 of a $13.1m cap on 8 players

+
Docherty - ?
Weitering - ?

That to me looks like we are up s**t creek without a paddle. Half our cap is on 8 players and only two of them are worth it (Harry & Walsh)
Concerned that our premiership hope may be over before it even started.

To contend we are in desperate need of an elite KPF/Ruck, 2 x KPD and 2 X Elite midfielders

We may need to try get rid of Williams, Saad, McGovern and Cripps to afford what we need..
I do worry if we lose Cripps or McKay the club will take a massive hit members wise if we lose both they will burn the place down..

How do we get what we need in the apparent situation we are in?

Geez you don't mind going early do you?

Did you question SOS when he traded Smedts and Lang who both couldn't get a game at the Cats either?
No. It’s my belief that they were only short term selections to bring in some older bodies. Smelts was steak knifes on a deal and Lang late pick.

Concerned where we are at with our list management and payment structure, since SOS left..
On what we learn and on the face of it. Looks like it is getting/got out of control, we are recklessly spending in the pursuit of the 8, not a flag.

**Saad - $650-$750
**Williams - $800-$900
**Cripps - $800+
Harry - $800-$1m
Walsh - $800+
**Curnow - $700-$800
**McGovern - $700+
**Martin - $650-$700

+
Docherty - ?
Weitering - ?

That to me looks like we are up sh*t creek without a paddle. Half our cap is on 8 players and only two of them are worth it (Harry & Walsh)

To contend we are in desperate need of an elite KPF/Ruck, 2 x KPD and 2 X Elite midfielders

We may need to try get rid of Williams, Saad, McGovern and Cripps to afford what we need..
I do worry if we lose Cripps or McKay the club will take a massive hit members wise if we lose both they will burn the place down..

How do we get what we need in the apparent situation we are in?
Not sure we need an elite ruck.
Doubt there'd be half a dozen premiership teams that have had what would be considered an elite ruck since Justin Madden Corey McKernan and Shaun Rehn won 5 in the late 90s.

**Saad - $650-$750
**Williams - $800-$900
**Cripps - $800+
Harry - $800-$1m
Walsh - $800+
**Curnow - $700-$800
**McGovern - $700+
**Martin - $650-$700

+
Docherty - ?
Weitering - ?

That to me looks like we are up sh*t creek without a paddle. Half our cap is on 8 players and only two of them are worth it (Harry & Walsh)

Holy moly. A few losses and people really do start to lose their minds around here.

So let me get this straight. We know SOS did a huge amount of work on our cap in his time at the club, and we know we've had significant cap space to chase players (more than what we have landed).

And now on the back of landing a few we're apparently up s**t creek without a paddle?

Please. How about we leave the baseless hysteria to the experts at the Herald Sun?

When was the last time a premiership side contained an elite ruck?
And why do we need two KPD to contend - has something happened to Weitering and Jones?

So a year into their contracts we have to shed Williams and Saad to sign Harry?

On top of that we have to kick our co-captain out the door because....well, its Mabo. It's the vibe.

Sorry mate but you've lost the plot here.

There are definitely concerns around our ability to keep all of Cripps, Walsh and Harry happy with our next contract offers.

If I'm Sam Walsh, I'm saying to my manager that Williams is on around $800k and so is Cripps. I've played better than both of them combined. Now, he doesn't come across as the type of bloke to say that and/or hold the club at ransom, but if he asked for $850k - $900k to extend then he'd certainly be well within his right to do so. If we try and lowball him with a $700k offer and rival clubs are throwing up offers of $1M+ then it's going to be very hard for him to say no. His loyalty can only stretch so far before feeling undervalued.

Harry same thing. His management will look at ballpark what Charlie and McGovern would be on and be perfectly justified to ask for around $900k. You can bet your life that other clubs will be knocking on the door with larger offers than that. It will be up to Harry to either take our best offer or we will lose him and the compensation we will get for him is not going to make up for it at all. I'm of the opinion that we will need to come as close as we possibly can to matching any $1M/yr offers. It'll put huge burden on our cap, but he's an absolute priority and I think worth it considering we don't know what Charlie will be able to produce and we've got no other key forwards that look remotely close to being capable at AFL level.

We'll lose Betts and Murphy this year, but they are hardly on significant coin. Might lose Nic Newman as well. Those three will free up a bit.

We need to think about trading guys like Kennedy, Newnes, Gibbons for token picks.

If Cripps is asking for $800k then we need to move him on. We just can't afford to pay him that type of coin for the next 5 years based on what he's produced the last 18 months. If I'm Patrick Cripps and another club is knocking on the door with an $800k 5yr deal and Carlton are only offering a $700k 4 yr deal then I'm leaving, there's no way he'd turn down another $1.2M to stay. And if we match, then I fear the worst for our chances to keep Walsh, Weiters, Harry and other important players happy.

McGovern - 2023
Martin - 2024
Williams - 2026
Charlie Curnow - 2023

These 4 contracts signed to huge $ will make signing Walsh, Cripps & McKay uncomfortable but should be well within our capabilities. The reported 105% of the cap sounds bad, but its very likely we have front loaded contracts expecting to have to save some to pay Cripps, who everyone expected to demand 1mil+ in his next contract.. The fact his form no longer warrants that sort of investment might actually help us.

Good clubs are able to manipulate the cap to fit everyone in, Richmond signed Tom Lynch on huge cash immediately after winning a premiership.

I do hope we have a plan regarding our KPD stocks...very, very thin right now.

And as much as I like Jones when he's 'on' and being an intercept marking king, he just doesn't seem to have the footy IQ required to be able to rely on him every week and in big games.

This is my main concern. There is not 1 and I mean not 1! Key position player applying his craft in the 2s. We have only 2 genuine ruckman on the list. One is a baby, the other a speculative pick at best.

The composition of our list is ridiculously unbalanced, hence we force a unfit and out of form Casboult to play because of a need to have some kind of 2nd key forward option and ruck relief. We are seriously 1 Jacob Weitering injury away from total collapse.

1. It's estimated in the media we are paying or about to pay half our cap on 8 players.. This didn't include Weitering or Docherty's estimated wage
    because it hasn't been discussed.. That leaves $7,000,000 for 30 other players, which is crazy. Yes some of the 8 may be front loaded which may alter figures but it is still obscure. We should have spread the load like a Richmond, Geelong or Hawthorne of old
  2. Don't read Herald Sun or watch 360, find Robbo a disgusting fu** wit and Whaetley reminds me of the kid that couldn't catch the ball at school.

Which way do you want to have it, Ten?

I'm sure you know by now not to trust what "the media" have to say about salaries.

And on top of that, is $7mil between 30 players really that much of a stretch? That's $233k per player on average,

The average AFL salary is in the mid $300k range, or at least it was before Covid cuts. But what happens to that number when you take the top 144 earners out of the equation (8 players per club)? Tipping it drops a bit, yeah...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back