teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
Just here to say that gee I’m optimistic about the next couple of years. There’s a good squad building here I hope the new coaching regime can push it into elite territory. Sam Walsh must be headed toward being next/future captain surely.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
There’s only so many consecutive years you can go adding multiple best 22 players to the list without losing significant best 22 players before it all falls into place and you actually play/win finals.

Injuries have killed us but it feels like it’s ready to all fall into place in 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
I reckon Voss might want to see how much he can work with Cottrell. He is quick and he is hard at it and Voss would love those attributes. Maybe he is hoping to teach him positional play a little better. At any rate, you won't see Cottrell in the senior side unless he shows plenty of nous in the twos. A new coach can have his freebie based on a feeling, especially if the other option is a state league player taken at #80 in the draft.

Do you really want to get angry about a late draft pick?

Just pretend we went to the draft and picked up Cerra, Bazzo/Goater, Charlie McKay and Cottrell. Is Cottrell the one you would focus on in that case?
I really hope we do give Charlie McKay a chance he had a couple of 30+ disposal games for Sandy so he knows how to find the ball in a team with a lot of high end talent, I’m getting the feeling that his Sandy teammate Sinn might be the slider from night 1 just a hunch.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I really hope we do give Charlie McKay a chance he had a couple of 30+ disposal games for Sandy so he knows how to find the ball in a team with a lot of high end talent, I’m getting the feeling that his Sandy teammate Sinn might be the slider from night 1 just a hunch.
Doubt it - would have possibly been a chance at a rookie spot, but doesn't look like we'll take any rookie picks.

It would also be due to the uncertainty surrounding the juniors coming through after two years of Covid interruptions. Looking across the league, very few if any clubs have made more changes to the senior list.

Whether a player makes it or not never has anything to do with coaching?

Please.
looks like those coach sackings were sort of pointless.........

Last edited:

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Let's have a look at the rule...
----
6.2 Procedure for National Draft Selection Meeting
(d) Number of Draft Selections
(i) At a National Draft Selection Meeting:
(A) each Club shall exercise a minimum of 3 Draft selections (including selections forfeited under Rules 8.7, 10.11(a), 13.4(b), 14.4(d) and 15.8(b)); and
(B) no Club may exercise more than 3 Draft selections if the consequence would be that it would exceed the number of Players which it is entitled to include on its Primary List pursuant to these Rules.

10.11 Inclusion of Rookie List Player onto Primary List
(a) Primary List
A Club may apply to the AFL to transfer a Player or Players from its Rookie List onto its Primary List:
(i) on the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.1 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the National AFL Draft Selection meeting.
----
I know there's been a lot of talk here about one rookie upgrade, but it's clear that is not the case from the above rule.

As it stands now, we have 39 contracted, listed players covering Primary (33) and Rookie (6) lists. We also have one Cat-B Rookie (Owies).
We have also committed to LOB & Cotts, which would take the rookie list size to 8. This is over the maximum of 6, so it seems likely we'll upgrade two rookies to bring the list sizes to Primary (35) and Rookie (6), leaving just one spot for a draftee.

However, as several people have conjectured, we might be looking to do something with a player on the LTI, and hold off on Cottrell till later. Although players on LTI must be included in the Primary list at nomination, we could move one back on to the list after the draft, then list Cottrell via the supplementary list, or some similar mechanism.

To be honest, I'm really concerned about this - any player going on the LTI needs AFL approval. If we've already committed to Cottrell, and we're taking 2 draft picks, we'd have to already have approval from the AFL. This would be an unusual circumstance, and that has me worried. Frankly, I'm hoping the simpler answer is correct - we're just taking one draft pick.

Last thing, reading the rules again, I think we'll be able to sign LOB while he's still on the Primary list - on the understanding he will be moved to the Rookie list after the National Draft. That avoids having to delist him, and potentially have another club pick him up.
On your last paragraph that can only happen if the player is contracted for the following year, which syncs up with Jon Ralph reporting Obrien has signed a 1 year deal thereby allowing us to move him straight to the rookie list before the ND.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
On your last paragraph that can only happen if the player is contracted for the following year, which syncs up with Jon Ralph reporting Obrien has signed a 1 year deal thereby allowing us to move him straight to the rookie list before the ND.
That rule changed from last year. Can now only move a player from the Primary list to the Rookie list inbetween the ND and RD. Doesn't really change anything though, we have enough room on the Primary list to sign up LOB, go to the draft, then move him to the Rookie list. I think...

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
That rule changed from last year. Can now only move a player from the Primary list to the Rookie list inbetween the ND and RD. Doesn't really change anything though, we have enough room on the Primary list to sign up LOB, go to the draft, then move him to the Rookie list. I think...
LOB and Cottrell were delisted. They are not currently Carlton players.

8 kgs is very substantial.

For example, it's the difference between me, and me pre-covid (although I blame most of the weight gain on having long hair)
That sounds like a lot of hair.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
We don't have a lift spot to pick up Brayden Sier as a DFA do we? Pretty, decent player despite having some flaws (mainly with regards to training/work ethic)

We don't have a lift spot to pick up Brayden Sier as a DFA do we? Pretty, decent player despite having some flaws (mainly with regards to training/work ethic)
Is he the kind of player you would want around the club ? Even if we could get him for nothing.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Is he the kind of player you would want around the club ? Even if we could get him for nothing.

Better than an unknown quantity with pick 75 or whatever in the ND.
Depends if we are culturally mature enough with our playing group and if he can make a contribution most weeks, even as a depth/interchange player.

I personally would take the punt/risk, but could understand why many would be unwilling.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Depends if we are culturally mature enough with our playing group and if he can make a contribution most weeks, even as a depth/interchange player.

I personally would take the punt/risk, but could understand why many would be unwilling.
A big bodied not all that quick average disposal midfielder? Reckon we've got that box ticked.

Apparently had a basketball background though :D

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Seir is a known quantity and it is know that he is no good. Pass

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

I think that if you were our list manager Elmer_Judd we would be applying to the AFL for dispensation as we would have 92 players currently on our list!! :D

SOS was pretty keen on Sier in his draft year.. if I remember correctly, the Pies grabbed him a few picks before our pick..
Not sure he'll be picked up, but can play.. as someone else alluded to, work ethic questionable (and I heard that from a relation of his!!!😆😆)

Back