List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Right now, Hewett and Cerra a better options to play on the wing than anyone we have on our list. Hewett has a massive tank and could easily play the Demon's Brayshaw role. Cerra has similar adaptability

Cerra Cripps Hewett
TDK Walsh ___

So who's filling that last starting mid spot? Dow, Kennedy, Stocker, Williams, Martin, Setterfield,Kemp, Fogarty, Ed, Philp, etc...

Cerra Cripps Hewett
TDK Walsh ___

So who's filling that last starting mid spot? Dow, Kennedy, Stocker, Williams, Martin, Setterfield,Kemp, Fogarty, Ed, Philp, etc...

Kemp would be one of the rotations on a wing, same with Newnes, both have versatility to play other roles. Kennedy, Williams, Martin, Setters, Ed could all play the role of that last mid who rotates forward

Dow, I only see him as having one position, similar to a Prestia, so he needs to really find consistency

Philp could certainly step up next year to claim a spot

Don't rate Fog best 22, never have, but maybe a change of gameplan will help

Last edited:

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here, but we're still free and clear to use pick 65 at the draft, yes?

We currently have 33 on the senior list, the promotions extend that to 35, and then two draft picks makes for 37 senior, 4 Cat A rookies and 2 players in limbo.

Once the national draft is updated, Liam Jones is delisted, and the problem is solved. Even if that's not true and he has to remain, we can leave Cottrell in limbo until the SSP and make Jones inactive.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here, but we're still free and clear to use pick 65 at the draft, yes?

We currently have 33 on the senior list, the promotions extend that to 35, and then two draft picks makes for 37 senior, 4 Cat A rookies and 2 players in limbo.

Once the national draft is updated, Liam Jones is delisted, and the problem is solved. Even if that's not true and he has to remain, we can leave Cottrell in limbo until the SSP and make Jones inactive.

The way I understand it is that the club has 1 live pick in the ND.

Club has signed Kennedy and Honey and will upgrade to primary list with picks at ND.

Club has made commitments to Rookie LOB and Cottrell, with current other Rookies being Boyd, Mirkov, Parks, McDonald. (Makes max 6 CatA rookies - Owies is CatB).

And with 3rd list lodgement at 10am on 26 Nov, which is when Jones name can be taken off numbers (see link below), and with other Rookie picks after that (LoB and Cottrell), only option now is signing a DFA after that point or selecting via SSP.

As I see it then, with list lodgement timing, that means currently 1 pick in ND...

The way I understand it is that the club has 1 live pick in the ND.

Club has signed Kennedy and Honey and will upgrade to primary list with picks at ND.

Club has made commitments to Rookie LOB and Cottrell, with current other Rookies being Boyd, Mirkov, Parks, McDonald. (Makes max 6 CatA rookies - Owies is CatB).

And with 3rd list lodgement at 10am on 26 Nov, which is when Jones name can be taken off numbers (see link below), and with other Rookie picks after that (LoB and Cottrell), only option now is signing a DFA after that point or selecting via SSP.

As I see it then, with list lodgement timing, that means currently 1 pick in ND...

You've linked a list that clearly shows that rookie pre-selection hasn't happened yet, nor have rookie upgrades.

Primary list max is 38, there's currently 4 on the rookie list, and we've got 33 currently on the senior list, including Jones. I believe we can elevate 2 players, take 2 draft picks, discard Jones, then pre-select our rookies after this.

Even if I'm wrong about this, we can still forego Cottrell and get him in the SSP.

You've linked a list that clearly shows that rookie pre-selection hasn't happened yet, nor have rookie upgrades.

Primary list max is 38, there's currently 4 on the rookie list, and we've got 33 currently on the senior list, including Jones. I believe we can elevate 2 players, take 2 draft picks, discard Jones, then pre-select our rookies after this.

Even if I'm wrong about this, we can still forego Cottrell and get him in the SSP.
Pretty sure from what Cook said today is that we can't just discard Jones - have to use the SSP.

I suppose there is a ‘short answer’ and a ‘long answer’ for how many picks we will have at ND.

The ‘short answer’ is going by what Nick Austin has said about being Ok with 1 pick in ND, and what Brad Lloyd and Brian Cook have said about trying to see if AFL would allow to change list lodgement so we can have 2 picks (which was unsuccessful). So, 1 pick in ND.

For the looong answer….

Our current Primary List has 33 players on Primary list, plus 2 more (Kennedy and Honey) contracted to be added to the list. That’s 35 players.

Our current Category A Rookies has 4 contracted players, with a commitment to rookie 2 more (Cottrell and LoB). That’s 6 players.

Total player numbers so far is 41, with 39 already contracted (LoB and Cottrell have commitments to be rookies). So AFL which has allocated us 3 picks.

But we have contracts to Kennedy and Honey to upgrade to Primary list, and they are upgraded' via ND as they're not DFAs.

Now the suggestion is that we might be able to break our word to Cottrell, and somehow massage ND. But I don’t like it, and don’t think it’s possible anyway with list lodgement on 10 Nov.

Now there is a question about PSD (given that 26 Nov is 3rd list lodgement at 10am, and PSD is 3pm). But I would suspect that because we did not have an extra pick allocated at ND (because Jones is still counted at that point), we do not get a PSD pick.

And given that DFA period is 11 to 15 Nov, all we have left is SSP…

So, again, as I see it, 1 pick in ND.

With the stupid AFL knocking us back for a Jones replacement pick in the draft and rookie draft...
Good luck St Kilda and West Coast...

Could we go about this in a different way?

Take the Pick 25 & Pick 61 in the draft, LOB in the Rookie Draft...
Then take Cottrell as the SSP player, lets face it no one else is going to take him...

Also apparently LOB and Cottrell have both nominated for the national draft not sure why?
LOB could most possibly get picked up anyway...

With the stupid AFL knocking us back for a Jones replacement pick in the draft and rookie draft...

Then take Cottrell as the SSP player, lets face it no one else is going to take him...

Also apparently LOB and Cottrell have both nominated for the national draft not sure why?

They're delisted - makes sense for them to be on a primary list if they can get on one.

I think they automatically get nominated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite his running background, I feel LOB just isn't suited to lengthy gut running. He was a 400m runner yeah? So a little bit of moving towards a couple of contests, then a kick (burst) perhaps. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a high half forward, leading up to the wings, run and carry and delivering inside 50. Getting back hard in defence seems to find him out.

If he doesn't get picked up by another team of course.

Last edited:
Despite his running background, I feel LOB just isn't suited to lengthy gut running. He was a 400m runner yeah? So a little bit of moving towards a couple of contests, then a kick perhaps. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a high half forward, leading up to the wings, run and carry and delivering inside 50. Getting back hard in defence seems to find him out.

If he doesn't get picked up by another team of course.
I view this post as being like all of the posts promoting McGovern as a backman. It is about effort, on the track and in games. Gov is a forward, if he got genuinely fit could be a hybrid winger. LOB is/was an elite athlete. The frustrating thing is that he seems to have done his junior exploits on pure natural ability. Elite 400 metre runners have considerable endurance. On face value, he has gone backwards athletically, that is sad in a professional environment. The kid has so much to offer. I have been, and remain a fan, but he needs to empty the tank in preseason training to reach his optimum levels.

Again, you don’t run those sort of times in under age athletics without elite speed and considerable stamina. “Getting back hard in defence seems to find him out” is accepting mediocrity. I get some adolescents are like precocious 2yo racehorses which don’t improve with maturity. I don’t have a major issue if he is not an absolute machine defensively as his skills should be used as an offensive weapon, but he must present defensively. Signs are that he has not worked hard enough, much like Dow. They need major attitude adjustments to meet their potential. We have a growing list of players ready to step up.

I view this post as being like all of the posts promoting McGovern as a backman. It is about effort, on the track and in games. Gov is a forward, if he got genuinely fit could be a hybrid winger. LOB is/was an elite athlete. The frustrating thing is that he seems to have done his junior exploits on pure natural ability. Elite 400 metre runners have considerable endurance. On face value, he has gone backwards athletically, that is sad in a professional environment. The kid has so much to offer. I have been, and remain a fan, but he needs to empty the tank in preseason training to reach his optimum levels.

Again, you don’t run those sort of times in under age athletics without elite speed and considerable stamina. “Getting back hard in defence seems to find him out” is accepting mediocrity. I get some adolescents are like precocious 2yo racehorses which don’t improve with maturity. I don’t have a major issue if he is not an absolute machine defensively as his skills should be used as an offensive weapon, but he must present defensively. Signs are that he has not worked hard enough, much like Dow. They need major attitude adjustments to meet their potential. We have a growing list of players ready to step up.
I think you'll notice the impact of Teague's idea on how his body should be built and how he should play the wing position...

O'Brien in draft year
03-Tomorrows-Heroes-04-Lochie-OBrien-graphic.jpg

O'Brien on draft night
Paddy-Dow-Lochie-OBrien-415x285.jpg

O'Brien in 2019
moCfefdj.jpg

O'Brien in mid-2020
17CaAd20MRP432754031.JPG

O'Brien in late-2020
7lqlNgiMqQwBNWxEh59a.jpg

O'Brien in 2021
maxresdefault.jpg

Pre-draft highlights:

O’Brien will struggle to get a game in 2022, and if Dow doesn’t get a move on he too , will be on thin ice come next trade period.
Let’s face it both were horrible top 10 selections, one boo- boo one can handle but 2, is painful.

O’Brien will struggle to get a game in 2022, and if Dow doesn’t get a move on he too , will be on thin ice come next trade period.
Let’s face it both were horrible top 10 selections, one boo- boo one can handle but 2, is painful.

Dow wasn't a horrible pick. Has played 60 odd games now and only just turned 22.

Started well, lost his way, then towards the end of last year looked to regain some confidence.

2017 wasn't a great draft. There aren't too many around that range who have really cemented themselves as stars of the competition just yet.

Dow wasn't a horrible pick. Has played 60 odd games now and only just turned 22.

Started well, lost his way, then towards the end of last year looked to regain some confidence.

2017 wasn't a great draft. There aren't too many around that range who have really cemented themselves as stars of the competition just yet.

One’s not suggesting or expecting stellar performances form Paddy at all, albeit as a p3 one could be excused for expecting something special occasionally.
What the team needs from Paddy , is 4 quarter application & determination to play positive footy to our advantage.

Some have mentioned Stocker into the midfield
I think his best role for the team is hbf his long accurate kicking in the latter half of the year was a weapon
Reminded me of Rich hate the term but quarter back like
Doc has got a bit of speed better lockdown but his kicking is so so
Saad is good kick but runs more
Williams has speed and a good kick also
But I think Stocker has more penetration and is a better decision maker
That’s not to say Stocker can’t be a great midfielder his hands are slick but the team will get more benefit short to midterm in his current role

We have a gym, I’m sure Andrew Russell has given him a program - who is responsible for the seemingly poor results.

:think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back