AFLW 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, lived with Maddy P and Greg (and Kodi Jacques).

I follow her on Insta and noticed she suddenly seemed to be living elsewhere, wondered if there was some kind of falling out so that would make sense.

Serena Gibbs seems the logical choice to take her spot in the side, so wouldn’t affect us too much I would think.
Serena can football. Maybe not as athletic.

You've got plenty of options to look at, either in trade or a later round draft pick.

The Cats delisted Maddie Boyd. Plays the swingwoman role and could easily slot into CHF.

Reports in the media that Richmond's Sabrina Frederick is looking for a new home. If you could get her for a late round pick, worth the gamble.

In the VFLW there's a tall forward from Collingwood in Imogen Barnett. Currently tied as the league leading goalkicker.

Naturally, many will argue not the same 'quality' as Tayla, but there's options to work with should Tayla walk out the door.
Frederick is AFLW equivalent of Levi. Big and sllloooowww.

So why doesn't the AFL give her ambassador payments ala Coniglio?

I would have thought that that was ano brainer- except her ask at $150K which is peanuts in the mens game - was maybe twoice as much as the top player at any Club could ask for and maybe 3-4 times the average player. I reckon it boiled down to economics -which is why I speculated on the ambasador route.

Tayla is a marketing dream for the AFL and AFLW I would have thought. To me from a business perspective I'm scratching my head at the potential waste of her marketing potential to the AFL and women's sport in general. Can't help but think that her form was influenced by her ask and responses from Carlton and the AFL.

Still - ya never know why things did or did not happen all orts of rumour in this thread - not liked by other players, rumours about her recreational pastimes, blah blah blah

But for me, it is just a pretty clear case of gender bias as far as I am concerned. She is is her own person, strong woman and a role model as far as her sporting achievements go - so I wish her all the best.

If her wage was going to be included in the cap, it was an incredibly selfish request from her.
It wouldn't be included in the cap beyond the $29k afforded to a Tier 2 player.

I would have thought that that was a no brainer- except her ask at $150K which is peanuts in the mens game - was maybe twice as much as the top player at any Club could ask for
Definitely not. A few years ago it was reported that Davey had been approached by multiple clubs with six-figure offers after a two-game ACL-interrupted season. She then recovered from injury and led her team to a grand final, before moving to Collingwood and winning a league B&F (in other words, her stock has only risen considerably since).

Another example: Just in the last fortnight, reports surfaced that St Kilda were offering Marinoff $150k to move from the Crows. These deals for top-paid players (of which there are plenty more, but I'm not going into any specifics that haven't already been made public) highlight how careful clubs need to be.

Tayla is a marketing dream for the AFL and AFLW I would have thought. To me from a business perspective I'm scratching my head at the potential waste of her marketing potential to the AFL and women's sport in general.
The AFL have no real interest in promoting one particular Victorian club more than any other Victorian club though. Nor are they interested in promoting women's boxing.

It's not unfathomable that the league would (or already have) come to the table with a substantial offer, but I'd expect such an offer would come with stipulations regarding choice of club and single-sport exclusivity. That might be what Harris' manager is alluding to by suggesting it's not simply about money.

For those interested - looks like both Al Downie and Katie Loynes may have found homes for next season, said to be going to the Pies and Giants respectively.

Ya hate to see it...

Glad for them, but man. What a mistake.

Probably wasn't handled as well as it should have been, but I don't think it'll be overly difficult to cover either of them next year.

Good luck to them both if they continue on next season, they were fantastic for the club.

We have offered her a contract, she has not signed it.

She can sign it for less money than she wants. If she sits out a season we get nothing.

Probably wasn't handled as well as it should have been, but I don't think it'll be overly difficult to cover either of them next year.

Good luck to them both if they continue on next season, they were fantastic for the club.

Would the Dal Pos move go some way to explain our decision on Katie I wonder?

I did read somewhere Winnie Laing has also been likened to Loynes in the past (and is possibly the longer-term replacement), though not sure on how her development is going.

With Moody now our primary ruck, and Gibbs able to pinch-hit, the Downie decision makes a lot more sense.

But still, tough to see two stalwarts of the club (particularly our co-captain) go out like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think we have any leverage as only one club wants her. And she will become a free agent I think. Is that right? its bullshit if thats the case.

Carlton could possibly get North's Sophie Abbatangelo out of this.

Four way trade (with some picks being thrown around in there)...
Carlton's Dalton to GWS
GWS' Elle Bennetts to the Bulldogs
Bulldogs' Kim Rennie to North
North's Abbatangelo to Carlton.

Bennetts and Rennie have requested those legs of the trade already, and for admin purposes, Loynes (Carl->GWS) and Dal Pos (GWS->Carl) a straight swap.

She did sign on for 2022 at the end of last season. Even has it in her Instagram bio. As with the men though, seems contracted players can still be traded at their request.

If she does leave, hopefully we are able to get a decent established player to replace her - Abbatangelo or otherwise.

Carlton could possibly get North's Sophie Abbatangelo out of this.

Four way trade (with some picks being thrown around in there)...
Carlton's Dalton to GWS
GWS' Elle Bennetts to the Bulldogs
Bulldogs' Kim Rennie to North
North's Abbatangelo to Carlton.

Bennetts and Rennie have requested those legs of the trade already, and for admin purposes, Loynes (Carl->GWS) and Dal Pos (GWS->Carl) a straight swap.
That's a shocking trade for us... are we getting a top 5 pick?

That's a shocking trade for us... are we getting a top 5 pick?

You would be losing Dalton (2nd club BNF 2020) and a de-listed Loynes, and gaining a consistent mid in Dal Pos and a forward in Abbatangelo, and possibly (when it all shakes out) the 7th Victorian pick.

You can't get your hands on the first 3 Vic picks (priority picks), and to get Vic picks 4-6 you need to somehow get Richmond, the Saints or Geelong involved.

Gold Coast currently hold picks 6 and 8, and are open to trading them for a player. While GWS would be in the box seat, it has been suggested Dalton is also considering the Suns - which could theoretically move us up to 4th or 6th in the Vic draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back