AFLW 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

:sob:

Trade period ended at 2PM.

Watch the AFL change the rules.

CHAOS has surrounded the 2pm AEST deadline of the AFLW Sign and Trade Period, with Jess Hosking requesting a trade to Richmond and the Kim Rennie deal still up in the air.

Sounds like it might've gone through - Hosking (and some picks) to Richmond in exchange for 23 and 40...

Edit:beaten!

Gee, so we've effectively swapped Hosking for (the older) Dal Pos, otherwise weakened the list, and haven't really loaded up on early picks to address that with? Not a great trade period, on face value.

I know player movement in the AFLW is still a bit, well, different, due to the semi-pro status and short-term contracts, but if Hosking really did request a trade the day prior to the deadline, then that's a bit disappointing to say the least.

Really need to nail those draft picks now to turn this into a positive.

So we’ve lost Dalton, Harris, Hosking, Loynes and Downie, getting Dal Pos in return. Need to make sure we absolutely nail picks 6, 7, 13 and 15 to ensure we don’t go backwards next year. Also hope like hell that Hill recovers from her knee in time for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As Nic Negrepontis mentioned on Twitter, Carlton has lost 11 (more than half) of it's 2019 AFLW Grand Final team.

I hate to tell you though, it's gonna get worse before it gets better, with expansion teams coming in over the next couple of years.

Maddie Prespakis grew up a Bombers fan, and my mail is the Bombers will be telling her to 'write your own cheque' to get her for their debut season.

On a side note, can't figure out Winne Laing being let go. Youngster who showed plenty of promise in the VFLW games I saw/called.

I know player movement in the AFLW is still a bit, well, different, due to the semi-pro status and short-term contracts, but if Hosking really did request a trade the day prior to the deadline, then that's a bit disappointing to say the least.

The deadline was today 2PM.

As Nic Negrepontis mentioned on Twitter, Carlton has lost 11 (more than half) of it's 2019 AFLW Grand Final team.

I hate to tell you though, it's gonna get worse before it gets better, with expansion teams coming in over the next couple of years.

Maddie Prespakis grew up a Bombers fan, and my mail is the Bombers will be telling her to 'write your own cheque' to get her for their debut season.

On a side note, can't figure out Winne Laing being let go. Youngster who showed plenty of promise in the VFLW games I saw/called.

:rage:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst trade period ever. Agree with above sentiments that we need to nail the draft to make this worth it now.

On the flipside, this may provide opportunities for some of our young guns to prove their worth in the seniors.

This is what has me worried. We need to do all we can to convince Maddy to stay when they inevitably come knocking.

WTF is up with our AFLW trades?

Looks like we traded picks 29 and 32 for 26 and 55

And then we traded 12 and 27 for picks 11 and 57.

Did we hire the previous Gold Coast list management guy for our woman’s team?!

I thought that your comments were an over-reaction and was wondering why it was so extreme, all you needed to say was "I've commented at length in ..." and I would accept that there are other reasons for your anger.

But our conversation (argument) is about the value of the trade. You were commenting that higher draft picks should have been attained. In terms of value, I would think that a player who offers: "Very good kick, good leap, decent speed, lacklustre acceleration, great footy IQ." is about the equal of one who offers "great speed and acceleration, ok kick, average footy IQ".

And again, it's not like the club chose to lose Chloe, it was her decision to stay in Sydney and the club have done the best they could with that.

Yeah, suggesting that I can't think for myself and comments like the following will do that:
You've been chasing me around now, calling me out for being negative. It was a bad take before built off a glib read of my comments, and it has since aged like milk.

Putting you on ignore, which is a rare honour. Cherish it!

NOOOOOOOOOOO not Jess :(

Honestly you can just copy-paste my comments from last year about Sarah, with Jess being the lesser player.

I think we got fair compensation, we just didn't turn it into a better pick.

I was scrambling to check if pick trades can still happen, but sadly not. We've really s**t the bed here. DFA period probably won't have much on offer, so I'm hoping we have some cross-code options lined up.

EDIT: oh god, I've seen the pick trade we made... there must be a steep drop after pick #7 in the Victorian pool (or at least we see it that way).

What we gave up to get there though... nuts.

Last edited:
WTF is up with our AFLW trades?

Looks like we traded picks 29 and 32 for 26 and 55

And then we traded 12 and 27 for picks 11 and 57.

Did we hire the previous Gold Coast list management guy for our woman’s team?!

The top 11 in the AFLW draft are really strong this year. Steep drop off after that.

You've been chasing me around now, calling me out for being negative. It was a bad take before built off a glib read of my comments, and it has since aged like milk.

Putting you on ignore, which is a rare honour. Cherish it!
Riiiiight, so replying to posts where I've been quoted is "chasing around" ... an extreme level of self-importance here.

Glad to be on ignore if this is the way you respond to reasonable enquiries about your level vitriol toward the club.

So we’ve lost Dalton, Harris, Hosking, Loynes and Downie, getting Dal Pos in return. Need to make sure we absolutely nail picks 6, 7, 13 and 15 to ensure we don’t go backwards next year. Also hope like hell that Hill recovers from her knee in time for the season.

If the season starts later this year with the competition moving to summer, she'll miss a fair chunk.

LIST CHANGES (as of Wednesday, June 9)

Adelaide:
Chloe Scheer (Geelong), Jess Sedunary (inactive), Renee Forth (delisted)
Brisbane: Lauren Arnell, Jessy Keeffe, Emma Zielke (retired), Beth Pinchin, Selina Priest, Ruby Svarc, Jordan Zanchetta (delisted)
Carlton: Tayla Harris (Melbourne), Jess Hosking (Richmond), Chloe Dalton, Katie Loynes (GWS), Alison Downie, Jess Edwards, Winnie Laing (delisted)
Collingwood: Maddie Shevlin (Richmond), Sharni Norder (retired), Kristy Stratton (delisted)
Fremantle: Evie Gooch (West Coast), Leah Mascall (retired), Ashley Sharp (inactive, pregnancy), Tarnee Tester, Jess Trend, Alex Williams (delisted)
Geelong: Liv Purcell (Melbourne), Aasta O'Connor (retired), Maddie Boyd, Richelle Cranston, Kate Darby, Nicole Garner, Bec Goring, Mia Skinner (delisted)
Gold Coast: Sally Riley, Sam Virgo (retired), Jordann Hickey, Leah Kaslar, Paige Parker, Molly Ritson, Georgia Bevan (delisted)
GWS: Jess Dal Pos (Carlton), Aimee Schmidt (West Coast)
Melbourne: Chantel Emonson (Geelong)Tegan Cunningham, Meg Downie, Niamh McEvoy, Shae Sloane (retired), Mietta Kendell (delisted)
North Melbourne: Vivien Saad (Gold Coast), Katelyn Cox, Georgia Hammond, Beth Lynch, Tahni Nestor (delisted)
Richmond: Sabrina Frederick (Collingwood), Alice Edmonds, Emily Harley, Luka Lesosky-Hay, Akec Makur Chuot, Phoebe Monahan, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Holly Whitford, Alana Woodward (delisted)
St Kilda: Poppy Kelly (Richmond), Claudia Whitfort (Gold Coast), Selena Karlson (retired), Ali Brown, Tamara Luke, Nadia von Bertouch (delisted)
West Coast: Mhicca Carter, Beatrice Devlyn, Brianna Green, Alicia Janz, Demi Liddle, Julie-Anne Norrish, Kate Orme, Katelyn Pope (delisted)
Western Bulldogs: Amelia Van Oosterwijck (retired)

----

Who should we look to sign as a free agent, Rocky Cranston? She had a not of an off year with average disposals down on her previous two seasons, kicked 5 goals. Bigger body.

Edit: North have also delisted Kate Gillespie-Jones, I'd bring her back to Carlton.

Last edited:
Ok so looking over this in terms of our best 21 before drafting:

FB: Walker Wilson
HB: Pound Harrington Dal Pos
C: Guerin McEvoy Hill
HF: Walker Vescio Gee
FF: O'Dea Gibbs

R: Moody Egan Prespakis

Int: McKay, Stevens, Brazzale, Hammans, Laloifi

Structural issues: mostly lacking height at either end of the ground, lacking elite speed in most outside roles
Structural strengths: ball use, decision making, game management (tempo), contested ball

Senior depth: Nat Plane (small utility)
Remaining depth: Vernon (quasi-KPD), Jones (general defender), Trudgeon (mid/fwd)

Depth issues: fitness, athleticism, lacking elite speed, lacking skill
Depth gaps: athletic mid, outside mid, attacking defender, attacking half forward, bereft of genuine talls

Draft priorities: outside mid (or athletic balanced mid), key forward
Other draft options: ruck, small forward

Ok so looking over this in terms of our best 21 before drafting:

FB: Walker Wilson
HB: Pound Harrington Dal Pos
C: Guerin McEvoy Hill
HF: Walker Vescio Gee
FF: O'Dea Gibbs

R: Moody Egan Prespakis

Int: McKay, Stevens, Brazzale, Hammans, Laloifi

Structural issues: mostly lacking height at either end of the ground, lacking elite speed in most outside roles
Structural strengths: ball use, decision making, game management (tempo), contested ball

Senior depth: Nat Plane (small utility)
Remaining depth: Vernon (quasi-KPD), Jones (general defender), Trudgeon (mid/fwd)

Depth issues: fitness, athleticism, lacking elite speed, lacking skill
Depth gaps: athletic mid, outside mid, attacking defender, attacking half forward, bereft of genuine talls

Draft priorities: outside mid (or athletic balanced mid), key forward
Other draft options: ruck, small forward

Of the delisted forwards available, three come to mind for Carlton to look at.

Richelle 'Rocky' Cranston. Kicked half-a-dozen goals across 3 games in the VFLW for the Cats just before being delisted. Has AFLW experience (ex-Cats and Dees). Short-term fix. Worth a punt signing as a free agent to fill a need until a younger forward (Gibbs or a draft pick) develops.

Georgia Hammond. Delisted by North. Okay-ish Full-Forward in the VFLW for a number of years. Played at Darebin alongside Darcy Vescio, so that combo might click quicker than others.

Emily Harley. Solid build young full-forward delisted by Richmond. From what I've called of her playing for Port Melbourne in the VFLW, a player that floats in and out of the game, but can take a strong contested grab.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back