AFLW 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive the intrusion, I have just seen the Tayla article and came sniffing to see what the collective thoughts were on this.

I am a life long lions fan and got on the AFLW team when it first started. What has been obvious from that first season is that Tayla is not a team player, she has consistently dropped her head in games and acted like a petulant child. I would not hire her let alone pay a premium for her in a team based environment.

She could be a superstar or a great team player but I don’t think she wants to be the later. She is better off in an individual sport like boxing.

If Eddie wants to look at role models how about the players who are working full time whilst playing and or contributing to the development of the next generation.
I wasn't so keen when Tayla got recruited as I'd seen the same thing you did at Brissy, but I think she's matured. She did have a good team playing year for us in 2020, but it got curtailed. I think they had sorted out a role and she was playing really well until Covid hit.

I think she could do that again, if she's committed to the role and team. And uninjured. Her shoulders are potentially an ongoing problem.

So in the end, I'm ambivalent. I don't begrudge her going for a payday but I do think that a spread of talent is needed, and all our eggs in the Harris basket is probably not what we need. I have a preference for the youngsters that have come through playing footy.

An interesting question to pose to Carlton fans, if Tayla was to be moved on through a trade, what Victorian club would you want her to end up at, and for what in return?

I say Victorian club, because in an ideal world, she'd go back home to Queensland through a trade with the Suns, giving you pick one to get Georgie Prespaskis.

The tricking thing with a trade to a Vic club, what club can give you what you want, without you making them too strong (if Harris found form at a new home)?
St Kilda for Georgia Patrikios :p

That is the key, last year Nic Negropontis gave Carlton an A for trade period and Melbourne a D, turned out the other way around is true.
If Harris leaves, as is looking most likely, what do you need to get in return to make it a win for Carlton (pick 1 from GC to get a Prespakis Jnr an obvious one)
Nic is a massive Blues fan with club connections, and that probably skewed his judgement a bit.

Negotiations between one of the AFLW's most recognisable players and Carlton have been at a stalemate, but her manager Alex Saundry is expecting an update by the end of this week.

Harris' asking price of around $150,000 – comprised of her tier-based salary and additional marketing costs – is more than the Blues are willing to pay after the high-flying forward's poor season.

Monday the 31st Sign & Trade Period begins, ends Wed June 9th at 2pm with List Lodgement #1 due by 4pm

Re-signing and restricted free agency period closes June 16th at 2pm and List Lodgement #2 due by 4pm.

Delisted Free Agency period closes and List Lodgement #3 due Friday June 25th.

Just on Tayla, apparently 150k is a over the top amount in comparison to what other top line players are getting. She is a good player but her on field ability doesn't match that price tag. I am happy for the club to stand by their on field decision making and make a call not to pay her that much.

The price tag comes from the idea that she is more of a figurehead and sports icon compared to her actual on field ability. Which again, is good but not 150k great.

It is a shame because I am a big fan of hers. She represents a lot of good values and its been fun watching her play for us. Hopefully we use whatever compensation we get from losing her, and the extra $$ to good use.

Just on Tayla, apparently 150k is a over the top amount in comparison to what other top line players are getting. She is a good player but her on field ability doesn't match that price tag. I am happy for the club to stand by their on field decision making and make a call not to pay her that much.

The price tag comes from the idea that she is more of a figurehead and sports icon compared to her actual on field ability. Which again, is good but not 150k great.

It is a shame because I am a big fan of hers. She represents a lot of good values and its been fun watching her play for us. Hopefully we use whatever compensation we get from losing her, and the extra $$ to good use.

Carlton:
Mercenary.
Underperforming on marquis $$.
No way we should have to pay ridiculous overs based on that.

AFL:
High-profile ambassador.
They should pay ambassador money instead of putting it back on the clubs to satisfy her ransom demands.

Carlton:
Mercenary.
Underperforming on marquis $$.
No way we should have to pay ridiculous overs based on that.

AFL:
High-profile ambassador.
They should pay ambassador money instead of putting it back on the clubs to satisfy her ransom demands.
After the story I heard about her last weekend we are better off without her around the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She seemed to carry her pugalistic mindset into games, looking to hurt rather than focus on the ball.

Yeah that was a tad concerning - there were a few times through the year I noticed she'd tackle with serious intent.. But I loved watching her split a pack and bring it to ground if she couldn't mark it

She has done more for AFLW profile and women in Australian contact sport than any other player. Justifiably she is looking to maximise her earning power whilst still young enough to earn it as a playing/performing athlete. I don't know anything about her personality or character and no doubt her last season was not as good as anyone would have liked- but the salary cap negotiations have highlighted to me how the AFL treats / thinks of the women's game differently to its male game.

All this should have been settled by the AFL recognizing her input into the game and using its 'ambassador' system to keep her happy and playing and representing the game behind closed doors and an announcement of some sort could have been positive.

I don't know of any team that would have the salary cap to pay a marquee player their worth - but the AFL seems to favour franchise teams it controls and owns entirely - over traditional teams in the men's game - perhaps ambassador type sponsorship is only used to protect AFL franchise teams.

Tayla Harris should be having the bulk of her salary paid by the AFL as an ambassadorial role, like they paid Izzy Falou and K Hunt. The AFL might be prepared to do this, but would rather her play in a market where they are trying to grow the game. The amount of marketing she does for the AFL and womens footy $150k is well under what she deserves.

Tayla Harris should be having the bulk of her salary paid by the AFL as an ambassadorial role, like they paid Izzy Falou and K Hunt. The AFL might be prepared to do this, but would rather her play in a market where they are trying to grow the game. The amount of marketing she does for the AFL and womens footy $150k is well under what she deserves.

Remember what that Collingwood player said about her after that game.

No loss at all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

She seemed to carry her pugalistic mindset into games, looking to hurt rather than focus on the ball.
Compared to Richmond's forward (my apologies for forgetting her name), who actually focuses on the ball and is a fantastic footballer who kicks goals and brings her teammates into the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back