AFLW 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

As Nic Negrepontis mentioned on Twitter, Carlton has lost 11 (more than half) of it's 2019 AFLW Grand Final team.

I hate to tell you though, it's gonna get worse before it gets better, with expansion teams coming in over the next couple of years.

Maddie Prespakis grew up a Bombers fan, and my mail is the Bombers will be telling her to 'write your own cheque' to get her for their debut season.

On a side note, can't figure out Winne Laing being let go. Youngster who showed plenty of promise in the VFLW games I saw/called.
Maybe that's why we decided to hit the draft hard this year as it is going to be very diluted over the next few years.

Loynes and Downie were great warriors for us but are well into their 30's. Harris seemed like quite a divisive character and this was shown with only 1 team willing to trade for her.

Hosking is the one that hurts but wants to play with her sister and the Tigers would have offered her more money.

WTF is up with our AFLW trades?

Looks like we traded picks 29 and 32 for 26 and 55

And then we traded 12 and 27 for picks 11 and 57.

Did we hire the previous Gold Coast list management guy for our woman’s team?!

In both cases we've slid back with our latter picks to move forward with our earlier picks.

Taking into account the state-based zones the trades are a little different:

Trade 1: 29 and 32 for 26 and 55 is effectively 19 and 20 for 16 and 33.

Trade 2: 12 and 27 for 11 and 57 is effectively 8 and 17 for 7 and 34.

Ok so looking over this in terms of our best 21 before drafting:

FB: Walker Wilson
HB: Pound Harrington Dal Pos
C: Guerin McEvoy Hill
HF: Walker Vescio Gee
FF: O'Dea Gibbs

R: Moody Egan Prespakis

Int: McKay, Stevens, Brazzale, Hammans, Laloifi

Structural issues: mostly lacking height at either end of the ground, lacking elite speed in most outside roles
Structural strengths: ball use, decision making, game management (tempo), contested ball

Senior depth: Nat Plane (small utility)
Remaining depth: Vernon (quasi-KPD), Jones (general defender), Trudgeon (mid/fwd)

Depth issues: fitness, athleticism, lacking elite speed, lacking skill
Depth gaps: athletic mid, outside mid, attacking defender, attacking half forward, bereft of genuine talls

Draft priorities: outside mid (or athletic balanced mid), key forward
Other draft options: ruck, small forward

Laloifi starts every game.

Same height as Harrington so can fill a taller defensive role.

Of the delisted forwards available, three come to mind for Carlton to look at.

Richelle 'Rocky' Cranston. Kicked half-a-dozen goals across 3 games in the VFLW for the Cats just before being delisted. Has AFLW experience (ex-Cats and Dees). Short-term fix. Worth a punt signing as a free agent to fill a need until a younger forward (Gibbs or a draft pick) develops.

Georgia Hammond. Delisted by North. Okay-ish Full-Forward in the VFLW for a number of years. Played at Darebin alongside Darcy Vescio, so that combo might click quicker than others.

Emily Harley. Solid build young full-forward delisted by Richmond. From what I've called of her playing for Port Melbourne in the VFLW, a player that floats in and out of the game, but can take a strong contested grab.
Gibbs is ready to go, though (separately) Cranston might be interesting if she's fit.

Gotta go to the draft for a quality key forward though, because I assume it'll eventually be 18v18 on the field, and Moody may not make the transition to full-time athlete.

Laloifi starts every game.

Same height as Harrington so can fill a taller defensive role.
Completely different body shape though. Pound is more defensively sound, Del Pos is more offensively sound, and Walker has speed.

Chances are Dal Pos and Walker will push up the ground at times (and we'll expect Pound to add this more to her game), so she'll see plenty of game time. Stevens will be performing the same role at the other end.

Completely different body shape though. Pound is more defensively sound, Del Pos is more offensively sound, and Walker has speed.

Chances are Dal Pos and Walker will push up the ground at times (and we'll expect Pound to add this more to her game), so she'll see plenty of game time. Stevens will be performing the same role at the other end.

Pound is 7cm shorter though.

Harrington at FUB and Laloifi at CHB.

Laloifi is a gun.

Pound is 7cm shorter though.

Harrington at FUB and Laloifi at CHB.

Laloifi is a gun.
I think her judgement, body work and read is elite, it's her mobility that worries me. There's definitely competition for that 6th spot between her and Pound. Pretty minor nitpick given they're both in the team.

Stevens is the one I'm not a fan of going forward, because she lacks the mobility and strength to have enough of an impact. Playing her as a defensive forward shows how ill-thought-out that trade was.

A stack of re-signings.

Yes but Prespakus isn't one of them.
Maybe the Bombers rumour has some legs.
While I understand the need to spread talent. I find it very frustrating how players are switching willie nillie.
It's hard enough to watch the games at times and starting each season with a new set of players is making it harder.......Harris aside!

Yes but Prespakus isn't one of them.
Maybe the Bombers rumour has some legs.
While I understand the need to spread talent. I find it very frustrating how players are switching willie nillie.
It's hard enough to watch the games at times and starting each season with a new set of players is making it harder.......Harris aside!

Maddy signed an extension last year, so is already contracted for 2022. Same as Harrington and Gee.

And that's everybody on the list contracted for next year! The only thing that stands out to me is that we just handed Natalie Plane a two year deal.

Why? Unless her fitness levels go up enormously in the next 6 months, we'll be questioning that at the end of next year.

I think her judgement, body work and read is elite, it's her mobility that worries me. There's definitely competition for that 6th spot between her and Pound. Pretty minor nitpick given they're both in the team.

Her mobility isn't that bad, she showed she can break the lines at times due to her size and get the ball moving forward.

She's the second defender I'm picking every week after Harrington. Her elite qualities make it a must.

Stevens is the one I'm not a fan of going forward, because she lacks the mobility and strength to have enough of an impact. Playing her as a defensive forward shows how ill-thought-out that trade was.

I'm surprised you think Stevens lacks strength, she looks like the most bull like player down forward, strong in the tackle and strong in the hips.

She's the one player up forward we should be looking to set up mismatches with all the time.

Get her on a smaller opponent and she can physically overwhelm them, get her on a taller slower player and she can do them with a bit of pace and good ground work when the ball hits the ground.

All the other forwards outside of O'Dea are lighter in frame. O'Dea is too slow though unless they try to turn her into a FUF and use her bulk to benefit.

Her mobility isn't that bad, she showed she can break the lines at times due to her size and get the ball moving forward.

She's the second defender I'm picking every week after Harrington. Her elite qualities make it a must.

I'm surprised you think Stevens lacks strength, she looks like the most bull like player down forward, strong in the tackle and strong in the hips.

She's the one player up forward we should be looking to set up mismatches with all the time.

Get her on a smaller opponent and she can physically overwhelm them, get her on a taller slower player and she can do them with a bit of pace and good ground work when the ball hits the ground.

All the other forwards outside of O'Dea are lighter in frame. O'Dea is too slow though unless they try to turn her into a FUF and use her bulk to benefit.
Gibbs absolutely towers over most AFLW players, and isn't slight: she's lean.

Stevens rarely attacks the ball - or leads to the ball carrier - at speed, which will leave her more and more exposed as the competition's athletic output ramps.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that's everybody on the list contracted for next year! The only thing that stands out to me is that we just handed Natalie Plane a two year deal.

Why? Unless her fitness levels go up enormously in the next 6 months, we'll be questioning that at the end of next year.
I thought she would be lucky to stay on the list so 2 years seems a but strange. Very well liked within the playing group but certainly not worth 2 years.

Munro summing up trade period.

While not mentioned in the article, if you watch the video he makes it very clear we wanted to keep Hosking - had all but signed her (“We had agreed on terms with Jess and her manager”) and were not happy about the last-minute request. Interesting.

Very poor form to request it late, means we had no barganing power to involve a third club to get better picks.
Drawing a very long bow here, but she does share the same manager as Tayla (Alex Saundry).

Perhaps (just a very out there theory) a way of Alex flipping the bird at Carlton, after she didn't get the money she wanted for Tayla (which would have also cost Alex financially)?

*proceeds to now take tin foil hat off head* 🤪

Last edited:
Writing on the wall for Maddie. Didnt sign an extension……. Hmmmmmm

Writing on the wall for Maddie. Didnt sign an extension……. Hmmmmmm

She already signed an extension last year. Same as Harrington (who bleeds navy blue). More likely explanation being you can’t extend an extension.

Besides - AFLW has already confirmed being contracted won’t prevent players from walking to expansion clubs. So won’t make a difference anyway.

(Also gives us a chance to up our next contract offer when we may need to)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back