2021 Match attendance figures

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If it wasn't for covid last year we probably would've hit 110K+. as that was our target after hitting 103K in 2019. Covid has hit most clubs in one way or another.
Collingwood has played in 4 grand finals in the last decade and won a flag, and still couldn't hit 100K. Whether they can or not remains to be seen.
Yes agree with this
Essendon: 80,642
0D5AE43A-D8D9-4BC1-8C73-F5A7F618DBD6.jpeg

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Something tells me that Essendon will explode when they win the flag like Richmond did when we won it.

If Essendon win the flag and go from 80K to 100K+ ill be well done but the haters will always find a way to be negative, like where were these supporters before the flag. It happened with Richmond when we won the flag, 4 years on still over 100K. It's just jealousy from oppo supporters because if their club hit 100K they would be over the moon and yelling it from the rooftops
Had we not won the premiership in 2017 we would've kept steadily raising our numbers like Essendon and other clubs are doing now, winning it just helped us get there quicker!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Something tells me that Essendon will explode when they win the flag like Richmond did when we won it.

If Essendon win the flag and go from 80K to 100K+ ill be well done but the haters will always find a way to be negative, like where were these supporters before the flag. It happened with Richmond when we won the flag, 4 years on still over 100K. It's just jealousy from oppo supporters because if their club hit 100K they would be over the moon and yelling it from the rooftops
Had we not won the premiership in 2017 we would've kept steadily raising our numbers like Essendon and other clubs are doing now, winning it just helped us get there quicker!

You can't say that about Essendon because membership and average crowds are always high. Even when going through ASAGA and a spoon year.

As far as old Victorian clubs go, there is Collingwood and Essendon, small gap to Carlton and Richmond... then daylight, re supporter base. Of course that isn't a comment re on field success nor networth of supporter base.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
You can't say that about Essendon because membership and average crowds are always high. Even when going through ASAGA and a spoon year.

As far as old Victorian clubs go, there is Collingwood and Essendon, small gap to Carlton and Richmond... then daylight, re supporter base. Of course that isn't a comment re on field success nor networth of supporter base.
Essendon’s following outside Victoria, on a par with Collingwood’s is what sets it apart from the Tigers and Blues. As AstuteTiger said earlier, premiership success would see a huge wave of more casual supporters sign up. To have over 80,000 members (with Collingwood) having not won a final for 17 years speaks volumes for its support. It will possibly go past 100,000 without a premiership over the next 3-4 years.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, I can say it. Your crowds were pretty bad during Asada which is fair enough how you can say otherwise is beyond me.
Richmond who will top the crowds this year again, sure last month hasn't helped any club for crowds but it will be 4 from the last 6 years in topping home and away attendances.

Richmond is the biggest in Vic by crowds, by membership, by revenue. until Essedion can surpass the crowds Richmond and Collingwood have their 3rd.
Richmond has outdrawn pies whilst both in the top 4, ess has never done that. Richmond only club to have 10 finals in a row over 90K at the G which included GWS and North. When Ess played North just 12 months prior (2014 EF you got 78K), in 2015 EF Richmond got 90K+

Richmond and Collingwood have the highest crowds against interstate sides in Vic. Out of the 8 interstate sides, Rich and Coll have the highest crowds in 7 of them, the other is hawks v Swans. Richmond also has the highest crowd by any club ever in a home & away game against an interstate side 77K V lions

Like I've said to Dave and others we all have our own opinion but we have done it, proven it. Sold out MCG against GWS 95K (PF). Pies twice played them in finals and got 72K (2018) and 77K (2019). We outnumbered the pies in the 2018 PF that shows the level of support we have in Victoria, it's massive!
Seriously, can we not get too obsessed with trumpeting crowds as some sort of defining relevant indicator here in this debate. Essendon play 7 of its home games at a stadium limited to about 45,000 spectators!

“Richmond is the biggest in Vic by crowds, by membership, by revenue. until Essedion can surpass the crowds Richmond and Collingwood have their 3rd”.

It’s nonsense to even suggest Essendon can logically surpass the Tigers or Pies who play most of their blockbusters at a 100,000 stadium. And you can’t also look at Essendon’s crowds in ‘down’ years at Marvel and suggest only a few more would go if these games were scheduled at the MCG.. You have to consider how many would go to the G to watch the Bombers instead of Marvel if it were a top 4 Essendon Vs another top 8 opponent: Hawthorn, Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney or whoever they currently play as a home game at Marvel. Context: In 2019, 12th (Sydney) Vs 10th (Essendon) drew 60,199 to the MCG in July. Now I can confidentially say that a Premiership Essendon (per the Richmond you reference), having its home games in all the blockbuster time slots like Richmond post 2017 would draw 70-75,000 to this sort of blockbuster… Essendon V Geelong / Hawthorn blockbusters would draw 70-80,000 in favourable circumstances.

So better to keep this real and relevant which means aggregate crowd comparisons in this context are to a degree meaningless.

Even your own CEO thinks his club is only the 5/6th biggest club in the AFL, and he’s privy to all the facts. I think he’s possibly wrong, I have the Tigers 4/5th.

Last edited:

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Seriously, can we not get too obsessed with trumpeting crowds as some sort of defining relevant indicator here in this debate. Essendon play 7 of its home games at a stadium limited to about 45,000 spectators!

“Richmond is the biggest in Vic by crowds, by membership, by revenue. until Essedion can surpass the crowds Richmond and Collingwood have their 3rd”.

It’s nonsense to even suggest Essendon can logically surpass the Tigers or Pies who play most of their blockbusters at a 100,000 stadium. And you can’t also look at Essendon’s crowds in ‘down’ years at Marvel and suggest only a few more would go if these games were scheduled at the MCG.. You have to consider how many would go to the G to watch the Bombers instead of Marvel if it were a top 4 Essendon Vs another top 8 opponent: Hawthorn, Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney or whoever they currently play as a home game at Marvel. Context: In 2019, 12th (Sydney) Vs 10th (Essendon) drew 60,199 to the MCG in July. Now I can confidentially say that a Premiership Essendon (per the Richmond you reference), having its home games in all the blockbuster time slots like Richmond post 2017 would draw 70-75,000 to this sort of blockbuster… Essendon V Geelong / Hawthorn blockbusters would draw 70-80,000 in favourable circumstances.
So better to keep this real and relevant which means aggregate crowd comparisons in this context are to a degree meaningless.
Even your own CEO thinks his club is only the 5/6th biggest club in the AFL, and he’s privy to all the facts. I think he’s possibly wrong, I have the Tigers 4/5th.

Fair enough, i was simply, replying to a bombers fan which I totally disagreed with.
Yes, but you also play a lot of games at the G, mostly the bigger games.

I can only go by the data, the actual figures, not going to speculate so until Essendon moves all its games to the G we won't know 100% either way.
And even then other obstacles like weather, time slot etc can affect attendances.

All good to agree to disagree, what I provided was actual facts about Richmond and not hearsay.

Dave dave dave the CEO come on if gale said we were the biggest would you then agree and say we are, you would conveniently leave that out. I have worked in membership let me tell you we believe we are the biggest club in the land and I’m privy to a lot of info that the average joe isn’t. Peggy says we are the biggest and I agree with her, you wouldn’t that’s your prerogative. Again, doesn’t matter what anyone says gale, peggy etc actual facts are the true indicator.
i.e attendances, membership etc

For example, if your president says we believe we are 4th biggest but Ess chalks up 125K members, tops attendances, breaks interstate crowd records, sells out the G in finals against minnows GWS, GC etc no one can say anything to downgrade that because the facts speak for themselves.

I do enjoy the debate but as this is the membership thread, I will leave it at that. Don’t want to go to off-topic. Happy to discuss in the thread>> Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I can say it. Your crowds were pretty bad during Asada which is fair enough how you can say otherwise is beyond me.
Richmond who will top the crowds this year again, sure last month hasn't helped any club for crowds but it will be 4 from the last 6 years in topping home and away attendances.

Richmond is the biggest in Vic by crowds, by membership, by revenue. until Essendon can surpass the crowds Richmond and Collingwood have their 3rd.
Richmond has outdrawn pies whilst both in the top 4, ess has never done that. Richmond only club to have 10 finals in a row over 90K at the G which included GWS and North. When Ess played North just 12 months prior (2014 EF you got 78K), in 2015 EF Richmond got 90K+

Richmond and Collingwood have the highest crowds against interstate sides in Vic. Out of the 8 interstate sides, Rich and Coll have the highest crowds in 7 of them, the other is hawks v Swans. Richmond also has the highest crowd by any club ever in a home & away game against an interstate side 77K V lions

Like I've said to Dave and others we all have our own opinion but we have done it, proven it. Sold out MCG against GWS 95K (PF). Pies twice played them in finals and got 72K (2018) and 77K (2019). We outnumbered the pies in the 2018 PF that shows the level of support we have in Victoria, it's massive!

you keep on quoting crowds that Collingwood drew against gws that drew 72,000 in 2018 and 77,000 in 2019! You might want to look at the weather for those games. In 2018 it pour all day and the rain stopped 20 minutes before the match started. The temp got down to 4 degrees. Nice weather would of drawn a crowd of 80,000! In 2019 it rained all day and it still drew 77,000! Again if the weather was better and if it was a nice sunny day the crowd would of been 85-90,000 people.

Last edited:

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Richmond is the biggest in Vic by crowds, by membership, by revenue. until Essendon can surpass the crowds Richmond and Collingwood have their 3rd.

collingwood was the biggest team in terms of crowds in 2019 pre covid.Total home and away attendance’s for Collingwood was 1,207,000 to Richmond 1,118,000.

collingwood is the only club to break over 1.2 million during the home and away season. Collingwood have done this on 6 occasions. Collingwood hold the all time home and away attendance record of 1,306,604 in 2010! Until Richmond or any other club can break these records Collingwood is the biggest Victorian club not just in Victoria but In Australia

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
you keep on quoting crowds that Collingwood drew against gws that drew 72,000 in 2018 and 77,000 in 2019! You might want to look at the weather for those games. I’m 2018 it pour all day and the rain stopped 20 minutes before the match started. The temp got down to 4 degrees. Nice weather would of drawn a crowd of 80,000! I’m 2019 it rained all day and it still drew 77,000! Again if the weather was better and if it was a nice sunny day the crowd would of been 85-90,000 people.

I only compare Collingwood because they are the only other club that played GWS in finals, had it been Carlton i guess i would've used them as the example.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
collingwood was the biggest team in terms of crowds in 2019 pre covid.Total home and away attendance’s for Collingwood was 1,207,000 to Richmond 1,118,000.

collingwood is the only club to break over 1.2 million during the home and away season. Collingwood have done this on 6 occasions. Collingwood hold the all time home and away attendance record of 1,306,604 in 2010! Until Richmond or any other club can break these records Collingwood is the biggest Victorian club not just in Victoria but I’m Australia

No one is denying the 1.3 mill fantastic effort but at the same token don't think you had to worry about both gws and gc in dragging down your numbers. if you played them away with 10-15K crowds no way you get 1.3. I think I have said this before, re the fixture, who you play twice, where they are on the ladder, weather etc can swing like 100K+ throughout the year. 2019 you played Ess twice, we played them once. We played both gws and gc away, you only played gws away.
We can pick holes out of each other's posts but as I said to dave don't wanna clog this membership tracker thread up with who is the biggest club.

Last edited:

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Fair enough, i was simply, replying to a bombers fan which I totally disagreed with.
Yes, but you also play a lot of games at the G, mostly the bigger games.

I can only go by the data, the actual figures, not going to speculate so until Essendon moves all its games to the G we won't know 100% either way.
And even then other obstacles like weather, time slot etc can affect attendances.

All good to agree to disagree, what I provided was actual facts about Richmond and not hearsay.

Dave dave dave the CEO come on if gale said we were the biggest would you then agree and say we are, you would conveniently leave that out. I have worked in membership let me tell you we believe we are the biggest club in the land and I’m privy to a lot of info that the average joe isn’t. Peggy says we are the biggest and I agree with her, you wouldn’t that’s your prerogative. Again, doesn’t matter what anyone says gale, peggy etc actual facts are the true indicator.
i.e attendances, membership etc

For example, if your president says we believe we are 4th biggest but Ess chalks up 125K members, tops attendances, breaks interstate crowd records, sells out the G in finals against minnows GWS, GC etc no one can say anything to downgrade that because the facts speak for themselves.

I do enjoy the debate but as this is the membership thread, I will leave it at that. Don’t want to go to off-topic. Happy to discuss in the thread>> Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?
This touches membership and it’s a well thought out conversation so it’s all good to discuss this here.

but you actually can’t go by the data, the actual facts because they’re basically meaningless for the reasons I outlined (Marvel Vs MCG). Essendon only play Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood and one other at home at the G. I can speculate with a high level of confidence on what a contending Essendon would draw against a Hawthorn, Geelong, Swabs etc because as recently as 2019 we saw concrete evidence supporting the highly likely outcome (60K Vs Swabs for middle ladder contest). There’s no question an Essendon renaissance would draw similar interest to the Tigers breakthrough and drag neutrals to blockbuster contests at the MCG.

We won’t be able to test this until at least 2025, and haven’t tested this since 2000 when the Bombers shifted, hence why referencing crowds is to a degree meaningless.

Crowds across the competition have increased broadly the last 15-20 years since Essendon last drew huge aggregates as an MCG only club (1995-9). More MCC members have rights under new laws (provisional game rights), ‘kids free Sundays’, 3 game memberships, an almost Trippling of club memberships and greater priority on featuring stronger clubs in blockbuster time slots all feed into greater attendances when compared to 20 years ago. Most clubs total crowd aggregates, in a real sense, have grown irrespective of form. This has fed into record YOY aggregatesfor Collingwood and Richmobd in the last decade in particular.

Hence why many of these metrics, including membership are far from reliable as a comparison tool especially when on field performance vary substantially.

Good debate though, not much else to do in lockdown😄👍

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
you keep on quoting crowds that Collingwood drew against gws that drew 72,000 in 2018 and 77,000 in 2019! You might want to look at the weather for those games. In 2018 it pour all day and the rain stopped 20 minutes before the match started. The temp got down to 4 degrees. Nice weather would of drawn a crowd of 80,000! In 2019 it rained all day and it still drew 77,000! Again if the weather was better and if it was a nice sunny day the crowd would of been 85-90,000 people.
Yeah, I've gotta agree with that - I was at that match and it was a really sh*teful night for footy. Funny thing watching that match - I thought GWS were the better team on the night and remember leaving the G feeling a bit reileved they'd lost and we weren't playing them in the Prelim the next weekend. That worked out real well for us didn't it :rolleyes:

This touches membership and it’s a well thought out conversation so it’s all good to discuss this here.

but you actually can’t go by the data, the actual facts because they’re basically meaningless for the reasons I outlined (Marvel Vs MCG). Essendon only play Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood and one other at home at the G. I can speculate with a high level of confidence on what a contending Essendon would draw against a Hawthorn, Geelong, Swabs etc because as recently as 2019 we saw concrete evidence supporting the highly likely outcome (60K Vs Swabs for middle ladder contest). There’s no question an Essendon renaissance would draw similar interest to the Tigers breakthrough and drag neutrals to blockbuster contests at the MCG.

We won’t be able to test this until at least 2025, and haven’t tested this since 2000 when the Bombers shifted, hence why referencing crowds is to a degree meaningless.

Crowds across the competition have increased broadly the last 15-20 years since Essendon last drew huge aggregates as an MCG only club (1995-9). More MCC members have rights under new laws (provisional game rights), ‘kids free Sundays’, 3 game memberships, an almost Trippling of club memberships and greater priority on featuring stronger clubs in blockbuster time slots all feed into greater attendances when compared to 20 years ago. Most clubs total crowd aggregates, in a real sense, have grown irrespective of form. This has fed into record YOY aggregatesfor Collingwood and Richmobd in the last decade in particular.

Hence why many of these metrics, including membership are far from reliable as a comparison tool especially when on field performance vary substantially.

Good debate though, not much else to do in lockdown😄👍
Another great post mate. Any sort of serious onfield Bomber renaissance will be certainly accompanied by a massive membership spike - they're a market that's definitely out there waiting to be tapped into. Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood could all feasibly join the Tigers and Eagles at 100k+ with a decent flag run.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
What about the Crows and Hawks, could they reach 100k members if they turn it around on the field?
I don’t believe Hawthorn could. They reached a high of 81,000 in 2019 I believe, at the culmination of their era. I also think the leg up of ~10,000 Tassie members is potentially at risk if the club seeks to return all home games to Victoria. I believe Hawthorn are slightly bigger than Geelong however don’t have the same following as the Victorian ‘big 4’ or the Eagles / Crows.

On the crows, I’m not across the details of the Crows membership. Gut feel says to me that if the Eagles can reach 100,000 then the Crows would go close if they have a run if sustained success.

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t believe Hawthorn could. They reached a high of 81,000 in 2019 I believe, at the culmination of their era. I also think the leg up of ~10,000 Tassie members is potentially at risk if the club seeks to return all home games to Victoria. I believe Hawthorn are slightly bigger than Geelong however don’t have the same following as the Victorian ‘big 4’ or the Eagles / Crows.

On the crows, I’m not across the details of the Crows membership. Gut feel says to me that if the Eagles can reach 100,000 then the Crows would go close if they have a run if sustained success.
Cheers🖒

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team

Moving to docklands was a huge mistake by the club in my opinion. Like so many corporate decisions made by the AFL and clubs it was a financial boon for a the next few years, but in the long run it reduces the growth in membership.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
What about the Crows and Hawks, could they reach 100k members if they turn it around on the field?

Hawthorn's supporter base has been very poor for the majority of its life. Dickson turned that around with a membership drive in the late 90s. It was the Fremantle of the AFL for the majority of its life but was then gifted a dream zone through the 70s and 80s. This led to amazing on-field success, which coincided with the decline of Melbourne. As the majority of the stuffy boys club that made Melbourne a powerhouse on par with Carlton up to the 50s migrated eastwards from Melbourne East their sons started to get interested in Hawthorn. Merging with Melbourne would have made sense because Hawthorn has canablised Melbourne to build a decent supporter base (somewhere between the North/Saints etc and the big 4). When you include their Tasmanian members they are on par with Geelong.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hawthorn's supporter base has been very poor for the majority of its life. Dickson turned that around with a membership drive in the late 90s. It was the Fremantle of the AFL for the majority of its life but was then gifted a dream zone through the 70s and 80s. This led to amazing on-field success, which coincided with the decline of Melbourne. As the majority of the stuffy boys club that made Melbourne a powerhouse on par with Carlton up to the 50s migrated eastwards from Melbourne East their sons started to get interested in Hawthorn. Merging with Melbourne would have made sense because Hawthorn has canablised Melbourne to build a decent supporter base (somewhere between the North/Saints etc and the big 4). When you include their Tasmanian members they are on par with Geelong.
That’s a fascinating perspective and an interesting take of the Hawks timeline. I agree they’re around the Geelong mark in terms of overall support.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Probably not. Can’t speak for Adelaide but Hawks will be years away from getting 100k members.

Even after all their success in the 70s to the present day they are still behind Richmond Collingwood Essendon though I’d argue they’ve surpassed Carlton now in the number of supporters but are still falling behind Collingwood Richmond and maybe Essendon in members, maybe I’m overestimating their size and their Tassie membership numbers are inflating my view of them a bit. Hawks have also had pretty polarising crowds at times, sub 20k crowds one week than 70k the next.

Have done really well to get a lot of kids supporting them after the threepeat though.

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably not. Can’t speak for Adelaide but Hawks will be years away from getting 100k members.

Even after all their success in the 70s to the present day they are still behind Richmond Collingwood Essendon though I’d argue they’ve surpassed Carlton now in the number of supporters but are still falling behind Collingwood Richmond and maybe Essendon in members, maybe I’m overestimating their size and their Tassie membership numbers are inflating my view of them a bit. Hawks have also had pretty polarising crowds at times, sub 20k crowds one week than 70k the next.

Have done really well to get a lot of kids supporting them after the threepeat though.
Hawthorn although having higher Facebook numbers than Richmond and Carlton overall they do not have as many supporters. Cant speak for the Tigers but Carlton out rank them in all other data metric measures that comes through the club. Carlton have even passed the Hawks now in membership considering the form of the clubs in the last 15 years. I agree with Dave 10 and the other Bombers supporter that they are just above the Cats in terms of supporters

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
The top 4 supported Victorian clubs have always been Collingwood.Essendon,Carlton and Richmond
followed by Geelong,Hawthorn since the 1970s and Melbourne. The rest were always a fair way behind in memberships and crowds.

Back