2021 Membership Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it funny that when I voiced my opinion that memberships are not worth it for interstate fans like myself, I copped so much criticism including some accusing me of not being a real fan.

And now that some of you lot based in Victoria are getting less value for your membership, you're talking about cancelling. Funny that.
Membership has never been "worth it" for interstate fans if you're only looking at it for attending games.

The worth in a membership when living overseas or interstate is in the support it provides the club, that's how I always saw it. Circumstances permitting of course.

There are no right and wrong's with membership for 2021. We may or may not get to games as there is no certainty whatsoever.

I get 5 Gold membership's with social club each season. It is never about value for money it is always about how I felt in October 1989 when there was a period of time we no longer existed.

I fully understand those who have been financially affected by Covid not renewing in 2021 and wish you a heartfelt hope that things turn around for you and you can get back to following the club you love and more importantly get about living something like your normal life.

For those without the financial hardship, You are either a supporter of the club or you are a fair weather supporter. If it is not unconditional that is fine and your choice but don't complain if we are merged, move interstate or no longer exist. Membership support is critical not just for survival but for the opportunity to thrive.

We have been more than a competent club since 1990 in a highly competitive competition.

Many staff have lost their jobs so communication will suffer. No one knows what 1 month will look like let alone 2021 so accept you are not getting a better membership offer as there can't be one to suit all.

The club does not always get it right, but now is a time to support without conditions as much as you can so we have a strong club when we get back to some sort of normal.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Membership has never been "worth it" for interstate fans if you're only looking at it for attending games.

The worth in a membership when living overseas or interstate is in the support it provides the club, that's how I always saw it. Circumstances permitting of course.
I remained a member in my 17 seasons away from Melbourne because I remembered what it was like in 1989 and I wouldn't want to wish that on any present day Bulldogs supporter who wasn't around at that time.. Even though my membership contribution is no longer as much as it used to be, it still makes me feel like I'm a part of the club.

Yeah, the upgraded to receive a FREE Melbourne away-game add-on needs to be clarified. It's got to be more than 1 away game surely? at that price ($125), but as mentioned how many away supporters will be allowed at a game? Maybe it's for a couple of the low attendance away games (gws, gold coast). That's assuming the season next year will still be seeing interstate teams come to Melb to play - who knows what will happen.

I'd say that the "flat fee of $10 ($5 for juniors) as part of a standard ticket booking process" will be charged each time you book a seat. So if you know you are going to attend all our Melbourne home games, you can book a seat for each game before the start of the season for a flat $10 fee. If you decide to go to another game outside of the ones you chose before the season (i.e. Ballarat, interstate, away game in melb), then you have to pay another $10 fee each time you go online to book....???

Not sure if I'm fussed about getting a 'reward' from the club or not, except a $20 merchandise voucher won't cover the price of anything at the bulldog shop (and you can buy the bulldog stuff online as well). I can understand why ppl might be peeved, but maybe feedback the club got was not to waste money on crap and give ppl the cheapest memberships they can.

Agree on the voucher - it would be nice if the voucher was enough to actually purchase something more than a stubby holder, badge or flag considering you normally get a scarf and cap or beanie in the package (yes i understand why this year and wasting money isnt a good idea)

I have a GA membership with a social club add on. Reading between the lines, say capacity is only 10,000, am I basically correct in saying that I have extremely little chance of being able to attend a game given it seems like gold and silver members are giving seating priority?

I will still purchase my 2 memberships as per usual, but the thought of not being able to attend games for another year (pending restrictions) is extremely hard to swallow.

This sounds like exactly my situation. Sounds like Bronze GA cant reserve a seat on Level 3 either. I'm still a bit confused.

What about an the idea that once the fixture is known for next year, each membership type could select "x" amount of games they would like to attend. The "x" amount would depend on level of membership eg Gold 9 of 9, Silver 6 of 9 and Bronze3 of 9. The club can then see what he demand is for each game, allocate tickets for the games as requested and then you are at least locked into a couple of games minimum. If there are games undersubscribed, then they can be opened up.
I'd be happy to see A game live next year as i know there is no chance we are going to be out of the woods and no one can predict what is going to happen.

It would be great if instead of a free away game add on that as others stated there is every chance you wont be able to use, you got a voucher for the equivalent number of games on Kayo or something

I could never bear to microwave a membership card, as I’m a hoarder of just about everything. So in frustration last week, I photocopied this year’s cards, and microwaved those. I can tell you it’s nowhere near the satisfaction level, as there is no melting. I think all clubs should supply duplicate cards each season for knee-jerk melts.

Evne better a card that melts and reforms once its cooled down....kinda like a supporter!

Agree on the voucher - it would be nice if the voucher was enough to actually purchase something more than a stubby holder, badge or flag considering you normally get a scarf and cap or beanie in the package (yes i understand why this year and wasting money isnt a good idea)
I think they said that caps, beanies and scarves would be $20 for a limited time for exactly that reason.

After reading the comments about the lack of real bonuses in next years membership it brought back some memories about those who donated 2020 membership to the club and didn't really want anything in return. Yet here we are whinging the club isn't rewarding loyal fans properly.

I know this is media, but specific to membership thread, so posting here:

AFL 2021: How clubs will operate, the next financial hit, membership fears and why streamlined footy departments are good for the game
The next big problem for clubs could be just around the corner. Here’s why AFL funding, membership renewals and sponsorship have many fearing another crisis. Plus how your club will operate in 2021.

Michael Warner, Glenn McFarlane and Simeon Thomas-Wilson, The Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
October 30, 2020 6:24pm

Eddie McGuire’s doomsday “run on the clubs” by members may yet eventuate.

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says he fears the competition’s already cash-strapped clubs face an even bleaker financial outlook in 2021 because of the coronavirus flow-on effect.

Clubs are also anxiously awaiting advice on whether the variable balance funding they’ve been receiving from the AFL over many years will be restored, at least in part.

Loyal footy fans came to the rescue of clubs in 2020, with about 90 per cent of paid-up members honouring their subscriptions.

A group of passionate Bulldog supporters at the Whitten Oval in Footscray.

A group of passionate Bulldog supporters at the Whitten Oval in Footscray.

PART 1: HOW THE AFL IS PLANNING FOR 2021

McGuire famously warned in April that clubs would go to the wall if big numbers of members demanded refunds.

Gordon told the Herald Sun memberships, sponsorships and the restoration of variable AFL distributions will be crucial in determining the financial health of some clubs next season.

“The next big problem not just for the Bulldogs but for most clubs comes in 2021,” Gordon said.

Members who stayed incredibly loyal in 2020 are about to be asked to sign up again in circumstances where they don’t know what sort of value for their membership money they are actually going to get.

“They already feel, rightly, that they’ve left their hard-earned in their club in 2020 for little or no return beyond the emotional.

“Membership for 2021 requires supporters to take a leap of faith – both that there will be games and that as members, they will be able to get to games.”

Clubs are exploring alternative membership packages, including changes to reserved seating arrangements.

“For a lot of our members, their reserved seat is a very big part of the value that they get,” Gordon said.

“They’ve gotten to know the people who sit next to them, behind them and in front of them over many years, and we are conscious of that, but at the same time, we are uncertain as to whether 2021’s COVID requirements will actually allow people to bunch up next to each other like in the past.

“We need to maintain the flexibility to seat our members at distances that the AFL and the Victorian government may mandate. It’s complicated and we’ve had a bit of push back from members on that. Once we explain it, most of our members understand.

“The whole industry remains vulnerable to another COVID spike; and while we’re all happy with recent COVID numbers in Victoria, what we are now seeing in America and Europe is a stark reminder that this virus, especially at the start of winter, can come back quickly and come back hard …. and if it does, it will hit footy.”

Gordon also said sponsorships, and not just the major ones, were another part of “lifeblood of a lot of clubs”.

“Every club has its major sponsors, but you’ve also got a series of smaller sponsors and for most of them, electing to continue to put ten or twenty grand into their footy club is as much an emotional decision as it is a marketing one,” he said.

“And even as a marketing one, it’s an element of discretionary expenditure … pretty much the first expense lopped off in tough times.

Results
Will you continue to support your club financially in 2021?

Yes, I will buy/renew membership no matter what
76%

Only in part, unless I can actually go
10%

No, too many unknowns
14%
186 Voters

“Taking a helicopter view, when you add all these vulnerable areas up, that’s where the total projected losses for 2021 can get scary. That’s why 2021 remains a worry.”

Five of the game’s richest clubs – West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn – are fighting for AFL distributions next year at least equal to the size of the salary cap.

“If that doesn’t occur I would love the AFL to take on board the guidelines that operate for commercial companies in terms of transparency and reporting,” Hawks boss Jeff Kennett said.

“They don’t do that. In a large company, whether it be Seven West Media or Wesfarmers or Qantas, when a dividend is paid, they don’t vary the dividend spending on the wealth of the shareholder or the size of the shareholding.

“I can’t believe that Richard Goyder and the majority of that commission, who consider themselves to be commercial Group A people, can’t see the wisdom of applying the same principles.”

Gordon responded: “I can understand Jeff fighting for as much for Hawthorn as he can. Good luck to him. He’s a strong president of a strong club. He just needs to understand that the many clubs who don’t get invited to the meetings of the richest five, need that extra bit of AFL support that has been part and parcel of the unprecedented success of the AFL over the last 10 years.”

I've promoted the Membership thread because I believe this trade period has revitalised what could have been a concerning drop off in memberships next season. There was already dissatisfaction expressed in this thread regarding the changes to membership offerings next year so it comes as a great boost that we have killed this trade. The result should be an increase rather than any decrease in membership numbers due to the addition of Treloar alone and if we factor in Martin as support for Tim, which we have cried out for for at least 2 years, then supporters must be highly motivated to become members. Assuming that the Covid threat does not interfere with a normal season, we should be looking at a pleasing boost to the WB coffers.

Hopefully the COVID situation continues the way it has and we should be looking at least a half full Marvel. I was concerned that a lot of members would drop off if the chance of attending the game was significantly reduced. It could be a major factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the COVID situation continues the way it has and we should be looking at least a half full Marvel. I was concerned that a lot of members would drop off if the chance of attending the game was significantly reduced. It could be a major factor.

State of origin are having a capacity crowd at the Gabba so there is no reason if things keep going the way the last 17 days have we will have no worries having no restrictions at Marvel. The main worry is the Andrews government handling quarantine when we start accepting return travellers. They have already shown they have got no idea how to handle this hope they learnt some lessons.

I written to the club to offer paying now for a 2 year membership 2021 and 2022 at a 25% discount. This is a win/win something for the loyal members and gives the club more funds up front.

Boxing Day Test is going to have 25,000.

Reckon crowds will be back to near full capacity by March/April.

I've promoted the Membership thread because I believe this trade period has revitalised what could have been a concerning drop off in memberships next season. There was already dissatisfaction expressed in this thread regarding the changes to membership offerings next year so it comes as a great boost that we have killed this trade. The result should be an increase rather than any decrease in membership numbers due to the addition of Treloar alone and if we factor in Martin as support for Tim, which we have cried out for for at least 2 years, then supporters must be highly motivated to become members. Assuming that the Covid threat does not interfere with a normal season, we should be looking at a pleasing boost to the WB coffers.

I had to ring the club this morning as my credit card had expired and I needed to update new details. I had to wait a good 10 minutes to speak to someone, I was told it had been crazy since trade week.

Forgot all about the automatic renewal of my membership this morning. First year I've had it. I usually like to wait and renew in the new year.

So I guess the Bulldogs are stuck with me and Zsa Zsa for another year.

That's Tim English years for me

:bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs:
:bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs:
:bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs:

and The Bont years for Zsa Zsa.

:bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs::bulldogs:

Is it a bad sign that our current membership tally for 2021 isn't proudly displayed anywhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back