2021 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Victorian Memberships aren’t worth a pinch of 💩 this year. Bought 2 tickets for Thursday game at 10:01am with membership barcodes and wanted to pay extra and upgrade to level 1 behind the goals like we usually do and it could not be done. So had to settle for the nose bleed section we get lumped with. So I thought I’d try my luck and just test out what I could get when general admission went on sale. And you wouldn’t believe it the first tickets that came up were level 1 behind the goals for the away team end. Now how the hell does any joe blow get first preference to these ticket over payed up members ?? Especially at the away team en. I contacted the Vic membership office to make a complaint and they said I was at least the 20th person who had rang about the same issue in the last hour.
Its utter crap. Get rid of the crap seats first, just bullshit. Its all about money though. Members upgrading to Level 1 you only have to pay the upgrade fee. General admission people wanting to sit on Level 1 have to pay the full seat fee. They try and sell out the general admission/ nose bleed section first so if tickets available for general admission they have no choice but level 1 or try and get them to pay for level 1 seats $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Davemonkey

Strider of the middle way.
Mar 13, 2012
Near the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Video games are a team aren't they?
Absolutely ropeable. My son has had a 3 Game membership for over 10 years. But Gold membership and loyalty obviously mean stuff all. I can't get him a seat with our group anymore because blow-ins, who weren't there during the tough times with season memberships have been prioritised over his 3 game membership. Our seats are the red line and the best I can get is the one a row back and diagonal.

chrome_bgmWyRsgBH.png

So I ring the club to cancel this and I am told that yes this is possible. All good. I am also told that I would be expected to return the membership pack (the one with the useless magnet and the OK sticker, and pretty much nothing else.

The reasons given were around the prioritisation of season memberships over 3 games memberships. So a 10+ year member on a 3 game membership is worth less than a fly by nighter?

I have written to the Club to cancel (this is the process) and respectfully let them know how I feel. Asked them to forward to Andrew Wellington and Swanny although I doubt that will happen.

I need a beer.

Elixuh

See you on the 9th green at 9
Oct 27, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
Absolutely ropeable. My son has had a 3 Game membership for over 10 years. But Gold membership and loyalty obviously mean stuff all. I can't get him a seat with our group anymore because blow-ins, who weren't there during the tough times with season memberships have been prioritised over his 3 game membership. Our seats are the red line and the best I can get is the one a row back and diagonal.

View attachment 1102426

So I ring the club to cancel this and I am told that yes this is possible. All good. I am also told that I would be expected to return the membership pack (the one with the useless magnet and the OK sticker, and pretty much nothing else.

The reasons given were around the prioritisation of season memberships over 3 games memberships. So a 10+ year member on a 3 game membership is worth less than a fly by nighter?

I have written to the Club to cancel (this is the process) and respectfully let them know how I feel. Asked them to forward to Andrew Wellington and Swanny although I doubt that will happen.

I need a beer.
While unfortunate for your son, I don't think it is an unreasonable position for the club to take. Someone who commits to all home games should have greater choice over 3-game membership holders.

Lol @ having to return the membership pack. That thing is worth like 20c.

Dalions

Premium Platinum
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

View attachment 1102426

I need a beer.
Yeah, I am on the side of the club with this one.
11 game members should retain access to their reserved seats for all 11 home games.
That is what they have paid for with their season membership.
Your son will be close.
It’s the same as when you buy guest tickets, you can get pretty close but not necessarily together.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

View attachment 1102426

I need a beer.
Disagree Davemonkey - I reckon the Club has to prioritise full membership seating over 3 game members - seems logical to me...sorry!

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women

View attachment 1102426

I need a beer.
FMD. That sucks.

Davemonkey

Mar 13, 2012
Near the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I see the point I genuinely do. But look at the other side. An expectation has been built up over a pretty ordinary decade that that seat would be allocated with us, or would be available. Look at it this way. Imagine my son is 7 and not 17. How is that a good solution to stick him on his own a row and a seat back. As a 17-year-old he doesn't want it, how would that look as a seven-year-old, which is where were were when I first got it for him. I was never able to afford a season ticket for him then, and after the year I had last year financially (out of work for 5 months with a bronze handshake) I certainly couldn't.

I've vented my spleen and had a rather strong beer, so I am cool, but I think it is a bad look.

Davemonkey

Mar 13, 2012
Near the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yeah, I am on the side of the club with this one.
11 game members should retain access to their reserved seats for all 11 home games.
That is what they have paid for with their season membership.
Your son will be close.
It’s the same as when you buy guest tickets, you can get pretty close but not necessarily together.
But it was new 11 game members that have "pushed in".

Davemonkey

Mar 13, 2012
Near the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lol @ having to return the membership pack. That thing is worth like 20c.
That's what really tipped me over the edge. I was coping but annoyed up until they said I'd have to return the pack. I wonder If I give them the car one is attached to or the laptop the other is attached to. :p

POBT

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 10, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Davemonkey - did they offer to give you four seats together somewhere else? That’s what’s happened with us in the past when our seating requests couldn’t be accommodated because of demand.

FWIW, while I totally understand your frustration with the club, I also think we should take care around phrases like “fly by nighters” or “blow ins”. Those people have committed to the cause, just as we have. I think we’re all proud of the growth in our membership numbers in recent years and that’s going to be at least in part due to people who are attracted by the recent success of the side. Let’s embrace those folks, rather than use language which might make them feel less. That person who has signed up for the first time might be our next 10 year member!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davemonkey

Mar 13, 2012
Near the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Davemonkey - did they offer to give you four seats together somewhere else? That’s what’s happened with us in the past when our seating requests couldn’t be accommodated because of demand.

FWIW, while I totally understand your frustration with the club, I also think we should take care around phrases like “fly by nighters” or “blow ins”. Those people have committed to the cause, just as we have. I think we’re all proud of the growth in our membership numbers in recent years and that’s going to be at least in part due to people who are attracted by the recent success of the side. Let’s embrace those folks, rather than use language which might make them feel less. That person who has signed up for the first time might be our next 10 year member!
No, but I think they might struggle to find the seats.

And you are right, I was new member once and I should remember that. I love a packed Gabba and I am glad for the Club. I just wish my once little, now giant mate could sit with us for it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
But it was new 11 game members that have "pushed in".
How do you know they are new, and not relocating existing members.

I wanted to move my seat from 2020 seat to another seat and section in 2021.

Rang the club, and was told the seat I wanted was another members seat. But then was told I could put in a request for that seat, and if the current “owner” of that seat didn’t specifically select that seat by a cut off date, then I would get it.

That’s a sh!tty move in my book, so I didn’t do it, and kept my old seat.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Membership this year has been a cluster****.

My boss wanted to buy a 11 game family membership. Kept ringing the club to ask what was available while he looked at the seating map online.

He kept being told that they couldn’t tell him what was available until they sorted out existing members.

This carried on from December to March, and he eventually gave up and didn’t buy a family membership.

Now he’s a relocated died in the wool Crows supporter, but his 3 boys, all who play Ozkick, are up for grabs.

jjami15

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

My boss wanted to buy a 11 game family membership. Kept ringing the club to ask what was available while he looked at the seating map online.

He kept being told that they couldn’t tell him what was available until they sorted out existing members.

This carried on from December to March, and he eventually gave up and didn’t buy a family membership.

Now he’s a relocated died in the wool Crows supporter, but his 3 boys, all who play Ozkick, are up for grabs.
Comedy hour!

Big Sauce 21

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

exact same thing happened to me. I just cut my losses and didn't recommit.

Remove this Banner Ad