2021 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Victorian Memberships aren’t worth a pinch of 💩 this year. Bought 2 tickets for Thursday game at 10:01am with membership barcodes and wanted to pay extra and upgrade to level 1 behind the goals like we usually do and it could not be done. So had to settle for the nose bleed section we get lumped with. So I thought I’d try my luck and just test out what I could get when general admission went on sale. And you wouldn’t believe it the first tickets that came up were level 1 behind the goals for the away team end. Now how the hell does any joe blow get first preference to these ticket over payed up members ?? Especially at the away team en. I contacted the Vic membership office to make a complaint and they said I was at least the 20th person who had rang about the same issue in the last hour.
Its utter crap. Get rid of the crap seats first, just bullshit. Its all about money though. Members upgrading to Level 1 you only have to pay the upgrade fee. General admission people wanting to sit on Level 1 have to pay the full seat fee. They try and sell out the general admission/ nose bleed section first so if tickets available for general admission they have no choice but level 1 or try and get them to pay for level 1 seats $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Absolutely ropeable. My son has had a 3 Game membership for over 10 years. But Gold membership and loyalty obviously mean stuff all. I can't get him a seat with our group anymore because blow-ins, who weren't there during the tough times with season memberships have been prioritised over his 3 game membership. Our seats are the red line and the best I can get is the one a row back and diagonal.

chrome_bgmWyRsgBH.png

So I ring the club to cancel this and I am told that yes this is possible. All good. I am also told that I would be expected to return the membership pack (the one with the useless magnet and the OK sticker, and pretty much nothing else.

The reasons given were around the prioritisation of season memberships over 3 games memberships. So a 10+ year member on a 3 game membership is worth less than a fly by nighter?

I have written to the Club to cancel (this is the process) and respectfully let them know how I feel. Asked them to forward to Andrew Wellington and Swanny although I doubt that will happen.

I need a beer.

Absolutely ropeable. My son has had a 3 Game membership for over 10 years. But Gold membership and loyalty obviously mean stuff all. I can't get him a seat with our group anymore because blow-ins, who weren't there during the tough times with season memberships have been prioritised over his 3 game membership. Our seats are the red line and the best I can get is the one a row back and diagonal.

View attachment 1102426

So I ring the club to cancel this and I am told that yes this is possible. All good. I am also told that I would be expected to return the membership pack (the one with the useless magnet and the OK sticker, and pretty much nothing else.

The reasons given were around the prioritisation of season memberships over 3 games memberships. So a 10+ year member on a 3 game membership is worth less than a fly by nighter?

I have written to the Club to cancel (this is the process) and respectfully let them know how I feel. Asked them to forward to Andrew Wellington and Swanny although I doubt that will happen.

I need a beer.

While unfortunate for your son, I don't think it is an unreasonable position for the club to take. Someone who commits to all home games should have greater choice over 3-game membership holders.

Lol @ having to return the membership pack. That thing is worth like 20c.

View attachment 1102426

I need a beer.
Yeah, I am on the side of the club with this one.
11 game members should retain access to their reserved seats for all 11 home games.
That is what they have paid for with their season membership.
Your son will be close.
It’s the same as when you buy guest tickets, you can get pretty close but not necessarily together.

View attachment 1102426

I need a beer.
Disagree Davemonkey - I reckon the Club has to prioritise full membership seating over 3 game members - seems logical to me...sorry!

View attachment 1102426

I need a beer.

FMD. That sucks.

I see the point I genuinely do. But look at the other side. An expectation has been built up over a pretty ordinary decade that that seat would be allocated with us, or would be available. Look at it this way. Imagine my son is 7 and not 17. How is that a good solution to stick him on his own a row and a seat back. As a 17-year-old he doesn't want it, how would that look as a seven-year-old, which is where were were when I first got it for him. I was never able to afford a season ticket for him then, and after the year I had last year financially (out of work for 5 months with a bronze handshake) I certainly couldn't.

I've vented my spleen and had a rather strong beer, so I am cool, but I think it is a bad look.

Yeah, I am on the side of the club with this one.
11 game members should retain access to their reserved seats for all 11 home games.
That is what they have paid for with their season membership.
Your son will be close.
It’s the same as when you buy guest tickets, you can get pretty close but not necessarily together.
But it was new 11 game members that have "pushed in".

Lol @ having to return the membership pack. That thing is worth like 20c.
That's what really tipped me over the edge. I was coping but annoyed up until they said I'd have to return the pack. I wonder If I give them the car one is attached to or the laptop the other is attached to. :p

Davemonkey - did they offer to give you four seats together somewhere else? That’s what’s happened with us in the past when our seating requests couldn’t be accommodated because of demand.

FWIW, while I totally understand your frustration with the club, I also think we should take care around phrases like “fly by nighters” or “blow ins”. Those people have committed to the cause, just as we have. I think we’re all proud of the growth in our membership numbers in recent years and that’s going to be at least in part due to people who are attracted by the recent success of the side. Let’s embrace those folks, rather than use language which might make them feel less. That person who has signed up for the first time might be our next 10 year member!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davemonkey - did they offer to give you four seats together somewhere else? That’s what’s happened with us in the past when our seating requests couldn’t be accommodated because of demand.

FWIW, while I totally understand your frustration with the club, I also think we should take care around phrases like “fly by nighters” or “blow ins”. Those people have committed to the cause, just as we have. I think we’re all proud of the growth in our membership numbers in recent years and that’s going to be at least in part due to people who are attracted by the recent success of the side. Let’s embrace those folks, rather than use language which might make them feel less. That person who has signed up for the first time might be our next 10 year member!
No, but I think they might struggle to find the seats.

And you are right, I was new member once and I should remember that. I love a packed Gabba and I am glad for the Club. I just wish my once little, now giant mate could sit with us for it.

But it was new 11 game members that have "pushed in".
How do you know they are new, and not relocating existing members.

I wanted to move my seat from 2020 seat to another seat and section in 2021.

Rang the club, and was told the seat I wanted was another members seat. But then was told I could put in a request for that seat, and if the current “owner” of that seat didn’t specifically select that seat by a cut off date, then I would get it.

That’s a sh!tty move in my book, so I didn’t do it, and kept my old seat.

Membership this year has been a cluster****.

My boss wanted to buy a 11 game family membership. Kept ringing the club to ask what was available while he looked at the seating map online.

He kept being told that they couldn’t tell him what was available until they sorted out existing members.

This carried on from December to March, and he eventually gave up and didn’t buy a family membership.

Now he’s a relocated died in the wool Crows supporter, but his 3 boys, all who play Ozkick, are up for grabs.

My boss wanted to buy a 11 game family membership. Kept ringing the club to ask what was available while he looked at the seating map online.

He kept being told that they couldn’t tell him what was available until they sorted out existing members.

This carried on from December to March, and he eventually gave up and didn’t buy a family membership.

Now he’s a relocated died in the wool Crows supporter, but his 3 boys, all who play Ozkick, are up for grabs.
Comedy hour!

exact same thing happened to me. I just cut my losses and didn't recommit.

I will always buy membership to support the Lions but it has to be said their is next to no value in it. Had to pay extra to go see Lions in Ballarat and stand on the outer. This week to get better seats in Level 3 I have to pay extra. Otherwise basically sit on the the roof in level 3.

Hope the club takes all this into account in the future and does something like a practice match at Brunswick for Melbourne Lions supporters with a player /fan meet up afterwards.

Rant over :)

In order to be able to sit with a couple of Carlton member mates got our member tickets via our respective barcodes in the general admission / public sale.

After copping rows R, T, V and X in nosebleed/level 3 I tried/refreshed once more and got row L in nosebleed/level 3.

Out of interest went in and had a look what could have got as a paying member of the public, in general admin. FMD first tickets/seats that came up were down the front of level 3 on the wing. Refreshed for shits and giggles and next tickets/seats on offer were not far around from the first ones.

Forking out what us VICs do for our memberships, and getting offered the s**t seats we get offered in the minimal number of games we get to see, while Joe Public can get a cracker of a seat, is downright ******* pathetic. Not a dig at the club as it's not their fault, it's just ******* frustrating.

Can someone help me with how TF do you get tickets to the footy these days!

I am wanting to book for myself and 6 others who are non members but when I go through Ticketmaster, I can book tickets for all of us but not enter my membership details or alternatively only book for myself using the member link. This system stinks.

Have been teaching all day so alas no chance to get on the computer. When I enter my membership code I only get offered a seat I have to pay
$33 for which doesn’t make any sense as there are plenty of seats still available at the ground and how come I have to pay! AFL was selling guest passes for $60 on Tuesday so really frustrating,

The whole system stinks.

Can someone help me with how TF do you get tickets to the footy these days!

I am wanting to book for myself and 6 others who are non members but when I go through Ticketmaster, I can book tickets for all of us but not enter my membership details or alternatively only book for myself using the member link. This system stinks.

Just tried this for myself as thought I’d take a friend given I’m going to have to pay. if you go through the email for the club via the redeem access - when you get into Ticketmaster and enter your code you will be offered a ticket for yourself at $33 and $50 for each non member.

Love supporting the club with my membership but gawd it’s crap value at the moment. As unless I can get someone to log in for me when “away” seats are available at 10am on the allocated day and even then not sure if your going to get a seat. Jees remember the good old days when I could go and sit up on level 3 with other lion members in our section - bloody hell.

Have been teaching all day so alas no chance to get on the computer. When I enter my membership code I only get offered a seat I have to pay
$33 for which doesn’t make any sense as there are plenty of seats still available at the ground and how come I have to pay! AFL was selling guest passes for $60 on Tuesday so really frustrating,

The whole system stinks.

Defaults to best available, need to go into that part and uncheck ‘best available’.

I will always buy membership to support the Lions but it has to be said their is next to no value in it. Had to pay extra to go see Lions in Ballarat and stand on the outer. This week to get better seats in Level 3 I have to pay extra. Otherwise basically sit on the the roof in level 3.

Hope the club takes all this into account in the future and does something like a practice match at Brunswick for Melbourne Lions supporters with a player /fan meet up afterwards.

Rant over :)
Im canning the membership next year I reckon. No value anymore especially if you miss a game like I occasionally do for whatever reason. I was hoping the club could have found away to get us into the Lions 2's games in Melbourne this year for those that bought memberships last year and gave the club money and got nothing for it except a fridge magnet, but doesn't look they are. I've been a member for a lot of years but the values not there, but I acknowledge that its not all the clubs fault as we are the away team, but itd be nice if the AFL did something for interstate clubs with big support bases in Vic such us and the Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back