2021 Memberships Released

Improving side, improving membership, go figure

Bottom side two years ago, improved memberships.....Go figure.
This pretence that it's simply organic growth and no work is required behind the scenes, is......let's just say.....wrong.

60K before we shut shop....would be nice.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Bottom side two years ago, improved memberships.....Go figure.
This pretence that it's simply organic growth and no work is required behind the scenes, is......let's just say.....wrong.

60K before we shut shop....would be nice.

Plenty of evidence where poor sides struggled for membership, then that turned quickly with dedicated list management/rises

Just like being able to gain a better quality of player in subsequent off seasons

Plenty of evidence where poor sides struggled for membership, then that turned quickly with dedicated list management/rises

Just like being able to gain a better quality of player in subsequent off seasons

I don't know whether it's come from you and likely not, as I imagine you're a little more business savvy, but we've had posters here just simply expecting growth because we're Carlton and ....... you know how the rest of it goes.

Anyway, we've done this many times over and it's not worth singing the same tune again, but one can't dismiss Liddles contribution, ideas and implementation of strategies around membership down to just dumb luck. You reap what you sow....not sew. :)

Having a sexy squad right now isn't hurting, although it would be all the sexier should CCurnow be good to go.
Taking on Saad and Williams will obviously also buoy Carlton supporters, as it should.

This year hurt though (covid), but even at this stage, I'd think that the CFC are looking at 80K. What do we think?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know whether it's come from you and likely not, as I imagine you're a little more business savvy, but we've had posters here just simply expecting growth because we're Carlton and ....... you know how the rest of it goes.

Anyway, we've done this many times over and it's not worth singing the same tune again, but one can't dismiss Liddles contribution, ideas and implementation of strategies around membership down to just dumb luck. You reap what you sow....not sew. :)

Having a sexy squad right now isn't hurting, although it would be all the sexier should CCurnow be good to go.
Taking on Saad and Williams will obviously also buoy Carlton supporters, as it should.

This year hurt though (covid), but even at this stage, I'd think that the CFC are looking at 80K. What do we think?

Before Tigers started their rise they were sitting around our numbers before our rise

From 2016 to 2017, they jumped 28K to over a 100K

While you need strategies, you don't have to be world's best

Big difference between members and revenue

Earls Smother

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't want to appear negative here, but for each of the 3 memberships my family have signed up for next year, we were offered another free membership for someone we nominated by the club...which of course we did....this must distort the numbers surely??

Of course it does. If * gave their 66,000 members a free membership and magically ended up with 132,000 we would jump up and down.

Our current figure is clearly distorted and doesn't represent genuine growth.

There is nothing wrong with what we are doing - I am not criticising it, but we need to see it for what it is - a reward for staying loyal this year, and a means to add to the data base for future contact purposes. In the case I mentioned (which was somehow construed to be belittling lesser priced memberships) my point was, we will never get a Richmond supporter to become an ongoing member when he actually has to pay for it.

There are obvious reasons why a lot of people would be waiting to see what 2021 holds, particularly with today's announcement re the draw not being announced until Feb. It just means that for now, our membership tally is a very artificial figure when compared to the 2020 figure.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

Well said. Creative strategic management of policy and procedure, increased visibility via web platforms, more access to players, profile and success of women’s football even the renovations bring hope for growth.

All this on the back of putting an improving product on the field has lead to a return to a profile of a Big V club.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Earls Smother

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
tipple liddle did the same thing at punt road...........
Absolutely. As others have mentioned, it's hardly brain surgery, but will be effective if you are at the right team at the right time.

The only difference is the abnormality of this season with Covid. Whether free memberships were offered at Punt Rd. on the same scale as us, is unknown. It can certainly be justified in our case, as a reward for members remaining loyal (i.e. no refund), but IMO we won't get a true picture of our membership until 2022.

I just hope I don't get balloted out of a GF ticket at the expense of some knob who is a first year freebie member and doesn't even barrack for Carlton.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Well said. Creative strategic management of policy and procedure, increased visibility via web platforms, more access to players, profile and success of women’s football even the renovations bring hope for growth.

All this on the back of putting an improving product on the field has lead to a return to a profile of a Big V club.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Perhaps put that last paragraph at the top 😉

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Of course it does. If * gave their 66,000 members a free membership and magically ended up with 132,000 we would jump up and down.

Our current figure is clearly distorted and doesn't represent genuine growth.

There is nothing wrong with what we are doing - I am not criticising it, but we need to see it for what it is - a reward for staying loyal this year, and a means to add to the data base for future contact purposes. In the case I mentioned (which was somehow construed to be belittling lesser priced memberships) my point was, we will never get a Richmond supporter to become an ongoing member when he actually has to pay for it.

I have been a Carlton member for over 15 years

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Absolutely. As others have mentioned, it's hardly brain surgery, but will be effective if you are at the right team at the right time.

The only difference is the abnormality of this season with Covid. Whether free memberships were offered at Punt Rd. on the same scale as us, is

I can only go by what i can remember but cant remember ever being offered a 'Free' membership at Richmond
We have 4 memberships in my family and i also buy 1 for my friend Bill who is a carlton member/supporter and he does the same for me as we go to most Carlton and Richmond games. The thing i remember that was free was that i was offered 1 free game entrance for a guest with each membership to take a friend and also the 3 game membership was 1 year increased to 5 i think but i didnt take that up due to already having my memberships

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
They did such a good job of getting as many people onto Auto Renewal at last year
And those who pledged memberships, get a free one to designate to somebody who wasnt as member in 2020 - more smart business. You'd suggest that alone would be good for another 10k bump.
Once our team can start taking care of the business on the field we can be top 1/2 in Victoria again with this swell of groundwork being put in.
Should jump ahead of Essendon this year, and who knows but maybe even Collingwood as well

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
They did such a good job of getting as many people onto Auto Renewal at last year
And those who pledged memberships, get a free one to designate to somebody who wasnt as member in 2020 - more smart business. You'd suggest that alone would be good for another 10k bump.
Once our team can start taking care of the business on the field we can be top 1/2 in Victoria again with this swell of groundwork being put in.
Should jump ahead of Essendon this year, and who knows but maybe even Collingwood as well

Nothing innovating about giving away free memberships, been around for years, marketing 101

If Liddle wanted to be a visionary, he would have offered a 2 year deal, 25% of the normal cost next year, with an offer on the year after at the balance of 75% of normal cost

Success is about revenue, not numbers

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Nothing innovating about giving away free memberships, been around for years, marketing 101

If Liddle wanted to be a visionary, he would have offered a 2 year deal, 25% of the normal cost next year, with an offer on the year after at the balance of 75% of normal cost

Success is about revenue, not numbers
If you have thought of it, I’m sure a CEO has. Either that or put your hand up.

I suggested a 5 year package to 5 to 10% discount per year to the club about 5 years ago. Never heard back.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Discounts disenfranchise existing members if it isn't applied to everybody.

I asked a questions a few years ago at at the members forum about discounts, the club doesn't want them.

A free membership given to non-members helps bring people into the fold and allows existing members to at least share with friends, so they don't feel (too) ripped off.

And a decent number get converted in following years into true memberships. Sure, you can't hand out free memberships every year, but 202 is exceptional circumstances, the free giveaway the other year because of our shocking season was a one off.

I signed my mate up yesterday on the freebie

He’s mid 40’s and never been a member before, probably the most loyal bloke I know though

Would nearly guarantee he’ll sign up again next year, very smart initiative from the club
you are......

Yubby

All Australian
Dec 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I got my member pack today or at least part of it... this may make me sound stupid but how the hell do you get it out of the plastic pencil case thingy? It looks like it's resealable but i think i need to cut it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Bokan

All Australian
Dec 21, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I got my member pack today or at least part of it... this may make me sound stupid but how the hell do you get it out of the plastic pencil case thingy? It looks like it's resealable but i think i need to cut it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Was tough for me too, jus kinda got my fingernail in there and opened it up. Not great tho

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back