Review 2021 Mid Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coverage starts at 6.30PM on the AFL website and AFL app:

The draft itself starts at 7pm (AEST)

The draft order for the mid-season rookie draft is the reverse ladder order after Round 11, with the number of picks dependent on the number of open list spots. (Spots opened up as LTIs/retirees are put on the inactive list.)

Last edited:
I know that it is highly likely that clubs will target high upside 19 year olds over more proven players in this draft. My question is how wise is it?

I look at the North Melbourne VFL team and wonder whether their poor performances are making it harder for North Melbourne to attain the existing upside in Ford, Spicer, Walker etc.

It is quite possible that hunting for upside in the MSD will reduce the potential upside of the existing players.

What are people thoughts on Ned Moye?

From what I watched of his game against Jets he looks way too slow with no mobility.

The fact he's 205cm playing against younger kids and has only taken 5 marks in 3 games isn't a great sign either.

I know that it is highly likely that clubs will target high upside 19 year olds over more proven players in this draft. My question is how wise is it?

I look at the North Melbourne VFL team and wonder whether their poor performances are making it harder for North Melbourne to attain the existing upside in Ford, Spicer, Walker etc.

It is quite possible that hunting for upside in the MSD will reduce the potential upside of the existing players.
It depends on the team, how many picks you have, etc. But fundamentally, you wouldn't want to pass over a talent who is good enough to go R1 in the ND for a role player, just because it would help the VFL team.....

It depends on the team, how many picks you have, etc. But fundamentally, you wouldn't want to pass over a talent who is good enough to go R1 in the ND for a role player, just because it would help the VFL team.....

It does depend on the team and the players.

However, I think the 19-year-old NAB league player would need star potential to be a better option than the state league players that have a combination of performance/potential.

The true mature age player has a higher chance of being a long-term best 22 player and probably a higher chance of reaching a borderline AA level too. There are so many top 100 players that were former mature age picks.

This combined with the immediate benefits to the current playing list makes the option pretty compelling.

It does depend on the team and the players.

However, I think the 19-year-old NAB league player would need star potential to be a better option than the state league players that have a combination of performance/potential.

The true mature age player has a higher chance of being a long-term best 22 player and probably a higher chance of reaching a borderline AA level too. There are so many top 100 players that were former mature age picks.

This combined with the immediate benefits to the current playing list makes the option pretty compelling.
Tim English and Jack Steele are a couple off the top of my head thar didn't get drafted until they were 19 and ended up going first round.

The fact there was no footy for so many last year mean it's more likely you'll find quality amongst those 19 year olds.

Tim English and Jack Steele are a couple off the top of my head thar didn't get drafted until they were 19 and ended up going first round.

The fact there was no footy for so many last year mean it's more likely you'll find quality amongst those 19 year olds.
English was definitely 18 when drafted

English was definitely 18 when drafted
Birthdate is 10/08/1997, definitely turned 19 in 2016 (the year he was drafted)

Birthdate is 10/08/1997, definitely turned 19 in 2016 (the year he was drafted)
Damn, for some reason I thought he was drafted in 2015. Huh.

I do think elite 19 year olds breaking out after their draft year is pretty rare. Though I think this year might be different as those breaking out as 18 year olds are quite a bit more common.

Nevertheless I'm not sure there's that many talents here that have really broken out. Probably like 3-4 or so?

Tim English played reserve and league WAFL in his draft year.

Jack Steele averaged 31 touches in the NEAFL in his draft year.

Jack is a good example of someone who has proven his worth against men, English was mostly on potential.

If the player is like English with massive upside they should be taken, otherwise I would be hesitant until they start performing when they are in the VFL.

19 year olds from the NAB League are interesting this year, as many have said because of the non starting 2020 season people are assuming some good talent that developed late in their draft year will slip through to this mid season draft, if i were to look at the 19 year olds i have seen through a critical lens, i would say that these handful are my favourites so far.

Luke Cleary - Sandringham - 189cm 80kg - half back that is a rebounding defender, was a good player in 2019 if i remember correctly and has been a key player in Sandringham's side so far this year.

Chance Doultree - Gippsland - 183cm 74kg - a new player this year that has popped up out of nowhere for me, agile, speedy mid with good skills and has performed at a good level all year so far.

Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg - flexible ruck/forw, agile big man which is important for rucks to get to the highest level, good mark, competitive ruck, the media have hyped him up and will likely go 1 to North or head to the end of season draft where he likely goes 2nd round or thereabouts?

Max Heath - Sandringham - 204cm 94kg - i wasnt sure on him last season as i had not seen him play, but after seeing him in a few games i think his frame and size could be useful and he is solid at marking around the ground too, if a club is looking for a developing ruck with a good frame, competitive ruck and marks around the ground he is an option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- top 4

Dylan Thomas - Oakleigh - 187cm 77kg - sml/med forw, moves well, contests well, good mark and good kick for goal, looks a player

Eren Soylemez - Sandringham - 178cm 77kg - goal scoring small forward, has been doing well for Sandringham this year so far

then theres a few others Fraser Marris, Oliver Davis, Cody Raak, Noah Gribble(seems determined), Sam Clohesy, Joel Trudgeon, Ned Moyle, Darby Hipwell, Luis D'Angelo, Jye Menzie, Kade Chalcraft, Charlie Byrne, Ewan MacPherson.

19 year olds from the NAB League are interesting this year, as many have said because of the non starting 2020 season people are assuming some good talent that developed late in their draft year will slip through to this mid season draft, if i were to look at the 19 year olds i have seen through a critical lens, i would say that these handful are my favourites so far.

Luke Cleary - Sandringham - 189cm 80kg - half back that is a rebounding defender, was a good player in 2019 if i remember correctly and has been a key player in Sandringham's side so far this year.

Chance Doultree - Gippsland - 183cm 74kg - a new player this year that has popped up out of nowhere for me, agile, speedy mid with good skills and has performed at a good level all year so far.

Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg - flexible ruck/forw, agile big man which is important for rucks to get to the highest level, good mark, competitive ruck, the media have hyped him up and will likely go 1 to North or head to the end of season draft where he likely goes 2nd round or thereabouts?

Max Heath - Sandringham - 204cm 94kg - i wasnt sure on him last season as i had not seen him play, but after seeing him in a few games i think his frame and size could be useful and he is solid at marking around the ground too, if a club is looking for a developing ruck with a good frame, competitive ruck and marks around the ground he is an option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- top 4

Dylan Thomas - Oakleigh - 187cm 77kg - sml/med forw, moves well, contests well, good mark and good kick for goal, looks a player

Eren Soylemez - Sandringham - 178cm 77kg - goal scoring small forward, has been doing well for Sandringham this year so far

then theres a few others Fraser Marris, Oliver Davis, Cody Raak, Noah Gribble(seems determined), Sam Clohesy, Joel Trudgeon, Ned Moyle, Darby Hipwell, Luis D'Angelo, Jye Menzie, Kade Chalcraft, Charlie Byrne, Ewan MacPherson.
Surprised you don't have Raak up with the first bunch with the form he's been in this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised you don't have Raak up with the first bunch with the form he's been in this year.

yea he has had a great year so far, but i look at it as he wasnt that good in 2019 from my PoV, no 2020, then as a WB NGA he got over looked as a free pick up to the cat b from the WB last year so there must be question marks, he has improved a lot and that might see him drafted though, but you never know what clubs will do.

also i suspect most mid season draftees will be from the lower tiers and not the NAB League as the last mid-season draft most of the NAB League 19 year olds didnt last long on lists.

yea he has had a great year so far, but i look at it as he wasnt that good in 2019 from my PoV, no 2020, then as a WB NGA he got over looked as a free pick up to the cat b from the WB last year so there must be question marks, he has improved a lot and that might see him drafted though, but you never know what clubs will do.

also i suspect most mid season draftees will be from the lower tiers and not the NAB League as the last mid-season draft most of the NAB League 19 year olds didnt last long on lists.
Very different circumstances this year to last though.

Quite a few kids don't look like getting drafted at 17 and rise up the ranks in their 18th year.

Are teams still allowed to put NGA kids on the Cat B list? I thought they stopped that.

I do think elite 19 year olds breaking out after their draft year is pretty rare. Though I think this year might be different as those breaking out as 18 year olds are quite a bit more common.

Nevertheless I'm not sure there's that many talents here that have really broken out. Probably like 3-4 or so?
I watch the Safl as my nephew plays for Norwood, a couple of 20 year Olds have caught my eye. Mitch O'Neill , Josh Gore and Harry Grant , anyone rate any of them

Posted on our board, a cut up of Edwards' game vs Dandenong.

You can see why both Edwards and Mac Andrew are considered potential top 10 prospects in this video.

Banfield on crutches after Peel game so we might have a spot by the end of the week.
Tyrone thorne get a look ? So small but is dominating for peel in the wafl , another 33 and 2 goals today.
He is so small. Smaller than Daniel small I think. Don't like his Myers kicking action either. Otherwise looks pretty good.

Not saying in same class but in terms of ‘style like’ do people see any comparison between young Edwards and a young pre draft Luke Jackson?

this weeks game at Marvel might be for the ‘Jacob Edwards Cup’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back