Preview 2021 Mid Season Draft Discussion (June 2, 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
The draft order will indeed be the reverse of the ladder after Round 11, with the number of picks dependent on the number of open list spots (spots will open up over the next couple of weeks as LTIs are put on the inactive list and one or two retirements might come through as well.

You should be able to figure out the reverse ladder order yourself, but since people keep asking for a spreadsheet I ended up making one for the draft order thread which I'll attach here:

Once we find out how many picks each club has I'll also update this accordingly, at which point it might be more useful for everyone.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
How about we put some emphasis on developing a balanced list, and just go back to the ND and PSD as our chances to pick up players. Make the PSD in Feb, then clubs can have a train on list and make a call then.

I don't like the idea that teams can go with 3 open spots on the list, say with 1 ruck and then only pick another up if there are injuries.

Developing a balanced list should be an important part of the game. It also means teams can keep cap space from underspending for half a year and then picking up 3 rookies halfway through the year.

If list numbers are ultimately the same, it doesn't help more players play AFL, it just takes away time that they train at a club.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
With no football being played in Victoria last year, who are some of the young players you expect to be right in the frame come this years mid season draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Max Heath and Henry Walsh.

Teams are always looking for ruck depth, and I expect some teams will have a available list spots due to injury, but instead of picking for need, will draft for the future.

Sleezy

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couldn't find a thread for the 2021 mid season draft. Thought it would be good to have a dedicated resource to:
a) track which clubs have the list spots to take advantage and
b) speculate wildly

Tag me and I'll update the list below to help keep track.

Adelaide: 1 list spots - Gibbs Retired
Brisbane: 0 list spots
Carlton: 1 list spot
Collingwood: 2 list spots
Essendon: 1 list spot
Fremantle: 0 list spots
Geelong: 0 list spots
Gold Coast: 0 list spots
GWS: 0 list spots
Hawthorn: 1(3) list spots - Scully Retired - Patton, Sicily pending
Melbourne: 2 list spots
North: 1 list spot
Port: 1 list spot
Richmond: 1(2) list spots - Rhyan Mansell signed - Saldo Pending
St Kilda: 3(4) list spots - Patton pending
Sydney: 1 list spot
West Coast: 0 list spots
Bulldogs: 1 list spot - Lloyd Retired, McLean Pending

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Couldn't find a thread for the 2021 mid season draft. Thought it would be good to have a dedicated resource to:
a) track which clubs have the list spots to take advantage and
b) speculate wildly

Tag me and I'll update the list below to help keep track.

Adelaide: 0(1) list spots - Gibbs pending
Brisbane: 0 list spots
Carlton: 1 list spot
Collingwood: 2 list spots
Essendon: 1 list spot
Fremantle: 0 list spots
Geelong: 0 list spots
Gold Coast: 0 list spots
GWS: 0 list spots
Hawthorn: 0(3) list spots - Scully, Patton, Sicily pending
Melbourne: 2 list spots
North: 1 list spot
Port: 1 list spot
Richmond: 1(2) list spots - Saldo Pending
St Kilda: 3(4) list spots - Patton pending
Sydney: 1 list spot
West Coast: 0 list spots
Bulldogs: 0 list spots
Dogs have 1 list spot thanks to Lloyd retiring. There's a possibility we'll open up a 2nd spot too, depending on how McLean's ACL recovery goes. Looking likely that we'll fill out 1 spot before the start of season though so may be back to 0 soon enough

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Richmond AFLW
Dogs have 1 list spot thanks to Lloyd retiring. There's a possibility we'll open up a 2nd spot too, depending on how McLean's ACL recovery goes. Looking likely that we'll fill out 1 spot before the start of season though so may be back to 0 soon enough

How's Ewan tracking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
we have Callow and Bravo training and playing intra-club games, both are possible additions? as well as Lachlan Bramble from Williamstown?

i think we have 1-3 spots so who knows if we go with them or keep spots open for mid-season draft?

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Obviously hasn't happened yet but I'm assuming venebles will be moved to the LTI list at some stage so the eagles can make a selection

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad