Review 2021 Mid Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coverage starts at 6.30PM on the AFL website and AFL app:

The draft itself starts at 7pm (AEST)

The draft order for the mid-season rookie draft is the reverse ladder order after Round 11, with the number of picks dependent on the number of open list spots. (Spots opened up as LTIs/retirees are put on the inactive list.)

Last edited:

NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft

The AFL today proposed an alternative model to the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft for 2021 that would allow Clubs to fill vacant list spots or replace inactive players on a monthly basis.

Details of that proposal are as follows:
  • Between the end of the SSP and prior to Round One, undrafted and other eligible players can opt into being upgraded to an AFL list during the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.
  • Clubs can then nominate to upgrade a previously undrafted or eligible player to their respective Rookie List at three different periods throughout the 2021 season (eg. following Round Four, Round Eight, and Round 12).
  • In the instance that the same player is nominated by two or more Clubs, the player will go to the team lower on the ladder under a rolling process (eg. if a Club selects a player, that Club goes to the back of the line).
The AFL informed Clubs it would discuss this model further with both AFL and State League Clubs over the next month with the view to finalising whether it is introduced in the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Good change there, allows more flexibility for picking up the kids when required, and may mean more opportunities.

Last edited:
Good change there, allows more flexibility for picking up the kids when required, and may mean more opportunities.

Yeah especially if they're cutting numbers and rookies.

Great changes for NGA. I'd argue this should be extended to northern academies and father son, but at least it's a start.
I split the link over three threads since it'll probably get messy otherwise. Trust them to release a statement with three distinct topics rolled into one 🙄

2020-21 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period
Changes to Next Generation Academies

There's a decision to help Melbourne clubs who identify a player who missed a good player in the draft. Another pro VFL decision. Good for the players that the pro side.
Next decision will be allowing a bunch of them to train with AFL teams so the non-Vic clubs don't get to look at them.
As if you can't sign players out of the SANFL?

As if you can't sign players out of the SANFL?
Yeah sure of course we can. We can also draft from Victoria as well.

Pundits are saying that due to the under 18 comp not being played in VIC that there are players that have come from nowhere during that year.
Its happened in SA this year with Caleb Poulter. If the rule had stayed the same then the whole comp would have half a season of form to rate the players and then draft in the best players.
What this rule change does is give local clubs a better chance to rate these players because they can draft earlier looking at pre-season form , training etc.
Another typical Melbourne centric rule to help out a few clubs.

Yeah sure of course we can. We can also draft from Victoria as well.

Pundits are saying that due to the under 18 comp not being played in VIC that there are players that have come from nowhere during that year.
Its happened in SA this year with Caleb Poulter. If the rule had stayed the same then the whole comp would have half a season of form to rate the players and then draft in the best players.
What this rule change does is give local clubs a better chance to rate these players because they can draft earlier looking at pre-season form , training etc.
Another typical Melbourne centric rule to help out a few clubs.
It's not like you're limited to two SANFL clubs where the player has to have played 300 games at junior level though. You have an entire league split between two clubs.

It's not like you're limited to two SANFL clubs where the player has to have played 300 games at junior level though. You have an entire league split between two clubs.
Yeah but you have access to SANFL too and Gold Coast has taken a bunch of SANFL players. The issue is not whether we can draft them but the decision makes it more difficult for non-Vic clubs to get information about these players because Melbourne clubs will draft on training form. What other reason can there be for this decision.

So it is an advantage to get a tough draw early.
If you're that bad that a state league player is going to make a huge difference then yeah... I think I'd rather dominate all year and get the 18th best state league player to replace whoever got injured/retired though.

If you're that bad that a state league player is going to make a huge difference then yeah... I think I'd rather dominate all year and get the 18th best state league player to replace whoever got injured/retired though.

I think next year there will be some good players who missed out and dominate early play outside of the AFL. If you are 2-2 instead of 3-1 or 1-3 instead of 2-2 it could really make a difference to who you could pick up.

Edit: I was suggesting that it’s best to have losses early rather than late, not that it’s good to have losses rather than wins.

I think next year there will be some good players who missed out and dominate early play outside of the AFL. If you are 2-2 instead of 3-1 or 1-3 instead of 2-2 it could really make a difference to who you could pick up.
You'd need to have space on your list though.

If they're eligible for the mid-season draft they would be eligible for SSP as well, which goes until about a week before the season starts. I guess the better clubs are better to sign them freely at that point before the draft mechanism kicks in.

Then there will be players that were in the AFL system this year and lose their spots with list size changes who will be floating around state leagues, NGA players that don't get rookied and then turn out good after a pre-season probably get picked up. There will be a lot to choose from at probably every point of the season next year.

It will be a compromised year recruiting wise purely because they're changing all of the rules at once, which has flow on effects for next years' trade and free agency periods, but with that much talent and depth floating around I don't think anyone will be too disadvantaged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd need to have space on your list though.

If they're eligible for the mid-season draft they would be eligible for SSP as well, which goes until about a week before the season starts. I guess the better clubs are better to sign them freely at that point before the draft mechanism kicks in.

Then there will be players that were in the AFL system this year and lose their spots with list size changes who will be floating around state leagues, NGA players that don't get rookied and then turn out good after a pre-season probably get picked up. There will be a lot to choose from at probably every point of the season next year.

It will be a compromised year recruiting wise purely because they're changing all of the rules at once, which has flow on effects for next years' trade and free agency periods, but with that much talent and depth floating around I don't think anyone will be too disadvantaged.

I think that any 18 year olds that missed in part due to COVID, will be snapped up in the mid-year drafts by the lower placed teams.

Bit more about the 'waiver system' from a different article:

[The waiver system] would allow players to join clubs at three separate intervals – after round four, eight and 12 – instead of in one hit at a mid-season intake.

Clubs believe because of those openings becoming available they may invest less in this year's group and wait to see which draftees emerge in the early stages of next year, including likely some overlooked 19-year-olds.

Recruiters and list managers were supportive of the waiver-like system but have expressed some concern about staffing for the extra draft windows given their teams have been significantly hit by the COVID-19 enforced cuts to football department spending.

this is as close to a priority pick for the bottom 1-3 clubs next year as you will ever get. as it is there is often / semi-regularly at least 1 good senior undrafted player.

this year there is every chance to be some real standouts. the bottom few clubs will absolutely leave a spot open and be watching.

this is as close to a priority pick for the bottom 1-3 clubs next year as you will ever get. as it is there is often / semi-regularly at least 1 good senior undrafted player.

this year there is every chance to be some real standouts. the bottom few clubs will absolutely leave a spot open and be watching.
As I said a little earlier though, there's nothing stopping top clubs from picking these guys up during the supplemental selection period.

So the benefit really only kicks in if you didn't use the SSP when it was there and you're a s**t team at the end of round 4, 8 or 12.

As I said a little earlier though, there's nothing stopping top clubs from picking these guys up during the supplemental selection period.

So the benefit really only kicks in if you didn't use the SSP when it was there and you're a sh*t team at the end of round 4, 8 or 12.

the idea being that these players potential becomes apparent after they've played a few games...

I don't know about WAFL/SANFL but the VFL usually starts a few weeks later than the AFL.

hence why having the opportunity to pick players up at stages during the year following a pandemic that saw lists reduced, less players drafted and bunches of prospects not play is a great leg up for the bottom clubs.

they're going to get the best chance ever to get a quality player.

I think this is good from the perspective of AFL clubs and the players who want a chance to play AFL.

As a supporter who is as supportive of my SANFL club as my AFL club, and pays membership for both, it is very difficult to get my head around the possibility of the best player for my SANFL club getting picked by one of the SA AFL clubs and playing for them one week and against them the next.

The AFL administration have no interest in the integrity of the state based competitions. It is very difficult to support and invest time in a competition that is ransacked continually and whose season can hinge on the decisions made from above.

I think this is good from the perspective of AFL clubs and the players who want a chance to play AFL.

As a supporter who is as supportive of my SANFL club as my AFL club, and pays membership for both, it is very difficult to get my head around the possibility of the best player for my SANFL club getting picked by one of the SA AFL clubs and playing for them one week and against them the next.

The AFL administration have no interest in the integrity of the state based competitions. It is very difficult to support and invest time in a competition that is ransacked continually and whose season can hinge on the decisions made from above.
The VFL has been slaughtered too, the VFL clubs align with AFL clubs, change their brands in the process and lose their members, then go bust with no support from up top when the AFL Club abandons them.

Now the whole competition has seemingly been merged with the NEAFL and we will apparently have 22 clubs playing 16 rounds including all of the Vic/NSW/Qld AFL clubs, AFL-aligned clubs and some standalone clubs with some sort of weird fixture that leaves most of the travelling to the AFL and AFL-aligned teams (hello integrity of the competition!)

For stand alone clubs especially it's an extra imposition on the players who don't earn a full time wage playing footy and have to juggle it with other commitments now having to add air travel to the situation. I think the AFL is covering the financial costs of travelling interstate in that competition but yeah. It seems probable that players will be lost to the system and end up playing in lower tiers that pay better rather than trying to get noticed playing in the VFL, especially when you add COVID and Melbourne being in lockdown all this year into the mix.

Ultimately there isn't a lot of respect for the state league competitions, but I guess there was always a historical rivalry between the VFL (now called AFL) and the VFA (now called VFL) so perhaps it carries over a bit.

It seems like they might be gunning for a national second-tier competition, but where they find the money for that who actually knows, and then it's a logistical problem as well and I don't think the WAFL or the SANFL would want any part of it.

Lore i don’t see how you can’t see this system greatly benefitting the Vic teams to start with.

It’s not like half a dozen of these Victorian kids are going to accept an invitation from Sydney, or Adelaide, or Fremantle, or Brisbane to move interstate and spend preseason training with them in the hopes of being picked up.

Every club has been able to watch every kid in QLD, NSW, SA, TAS and WA this year, and all the likely kids will get drafted.

Whereas in Victoria, no one’s seen the kids play. No one knows who the next Andrew McGrath or Clayton Oliver is.

The Vic clubs will get first shot at these kids.

Then the bottom clubs get a second go after round 4.

I believe it’s great that the kids who missed out at the draft get a second chance.

All I want to see is the Vic supporters here admit they get to benefit from another AFL rule that overwhelmingly supports the VFL clubs as opposed to all clubs.

Lore i don’t see how you can’t see this system greatly benefitting the Vic teams to start with.

It’s not like half a dozen of these Victorian kids are going to accept an invitation from Sydney, or Adelaide, or Fremantle, or Brisbane to move interstate and spend preseason training with them in the hopes of being picked up.

Every club has been able to watch every kid in QLD, NSW, SA, TAS and WA this year, and all the likely kids will get drafted.

Whereas in Victoria, no one’s seen the kids play. No one knows who the next Andrew McGrath or Clayton Oliver is.

The Vic clubs will get first shot at these kids.

Then the bottom clubs get a second go after round 4.

I believe it’s great that the kids who missed out at the draft get a second chance.

All I want to see is the Vic supporters here admit they get to benefit from another AFL rule that overwhelmingly supports the VFL clubs as opposed to all clubs.
Is that a problem with the mid season draft or the supplemental selection period though?

Same , its a joke with this new LTI list it’s not going to be 12 or so players spread between all the state leagues like in the mid-season draft it will end up being 50 or 60 at least getting plucked out of teams

Hope my mob can afford to hide some blokes in the magoo’s and colts till round 12’s done or hold back their pre-seasons so they are building early and firing late

Surely there has to be a 1-2 player max per team

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back