• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
We lack kicking skills and class. This pick ticks the box. Looks versatile.

Sounds like hes coming across quite quickly and will be able to see him in action in the next week or so.

Side note...looks like Stengle and his management made the wrong decision in not staying under our conditions. Would want to finish the season strongly to be a chance come November.
the crows offered him another chance, he said no thanks and then has the nerve to put himself in the mid season draft. sounds like a tosser to me.

Just what we needed! A 176cm defender.

He can join the queue behind Brown, McPherson, Mackay, Jones, Hamill, and Milera. And the Hinge, Kelly, Smith, Worrell types we tend to play as defensive utilities

Brown - lock down defender, getting old, limited offense
McPherson - see Brown but lately a bit of a liability
Mackay - retirement and better on a wing
Jones - only new to the HB line, speed and neat skills
Hamill - great speed but turn over king
Milera - if he is ever fit, elite potential

The others are medium defenders. I like this pick, can play forward or back and rotate with Murphy. A good small defender with dash is great as our defensive line attacking spread is limited

Last edited:
I will freely admit I don't know how the midseason stuff affects list management at the end of the season, but I don't understand Hamish's argument that our primary reason for not picking more than one player was "for list flexibility at the end of the year".

Other than a few players who nominated longer contracts, these are all just until the end of the season, right? How does taking an extra player now impact on our list flexibility at the end of the year? If we want to keep the player we keep them, if not we get rid of them and have just as much flexilibity as if we'd never taken them, right?

What am I missing here?

How dare they find pathways to get high quality footballers an extra chance at a career in the sport. Don't they know....local footy is too important!
What you are missing is that trading a player from one club to another usually means some compensation, certainly does between clubs in the AFL. But an AFL club picking up a player from a SANFL club equals f**k all for the State League club. Doesn't happen in other professional leagues world wide.

Why people think that the breading ground of AFL clubs (State League comps) should be shafted by the AFL is beyond me. It's like an engineering firm trying to destroy universities

I will freely admit I don't know how the midseason stuff affects list management at the end of the season, but I don't understand Hamish's argument that our primary reason for not picking more than one player was "for list flexibility at the end of the year".

Other than a few players who nominated longer contracts, these are all just until the end of the season, right? How does taking an extra player now impact on our list flexibility at the end of the year? If we want to keep the player we keep them, if not we get rid of them and have just as much flexilibity as if we'd never taken them, right?

What am I missing here?
I think the club feels obligated to keep players on for longer than 6 months even if contractually not necessary.

I think the club feels obligated to keep players on for longer than 6 months even if contractually not necessary.
If thats actually the case and the people running the club think this way.. then they need to be moved on and there needs to be new people at the club that dont feel this obligation.

So who here thinks that if we had two spots available and picked Moyle first, we wouldn't have been able to get Parnell with our second pick?

We could have killed it here and opted not to.

The Crows list management meeting:

Kelly: "Ruck stocks are a bit thin"
Roo: "Nah we have ROB, he's a B&F winner. Strachan is developing nicely, he should be ready when ROB is finished"
Kelly: "Strachan is 25 years old"
Roo: "Is he? Wow. I saw him next to young Dave the other day and he looked pretty young"
Kelly: "Young Dave?"
Roo: "D'Mac! Young fella is killing it this year"
Kelly: "Riiiiight. Um, so ruck stocks?"
Roo: "Still sorted. If it isn't ROB or Strachan we have big Billy and Himmelberg. Won't need a ruck for a few years yet"
Kelly: "yeh. um ok. Reidy your thoughts?"
Reid: "When is it?"
Kelly: "Ah it's tomorrow. Did...did you not know that?"
Reid: "Nah of course I did, just wasn't coming up on dads old Blackberry here"
Roo: "Old man Reid's Blackberry! Great work Reidy. Some gold in that thing"
Kelly: "Yeh......so, plans for the draft?"
Ogilvie: "I've got my eye on a small defender. Can never have enough defenders"
Roo: "oooh sounds interesting. Are you going to pick him a bit earlier than anyone else again?
Ogilvie: "It will surprise a few"
Roo: "A Haggis special! Brilliant. Done. Right I'm off to coach one of my kids"
Kelly: "Yeh ok Roo, which one you coaching?"
Roo: "No idea. I guess I'll find out when I get there"
Kelly: "Alright good work everyone. Let's get it done tomorrow"
Reid: "Wait, what time does it start?"
tl/dr

Hamish said this is a long term pick, so I assume 18 months.

He lives in rural Victoria, can fly to Sydney then to Adelaide, no quarantine. Hamish says he could even play SANFL this week.
He's actually in Albury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

once again, all hail Volbeat
Not sure Volbeat was claiming any inside info with that one?

The post was an hour or so after the Caleb Twomey article saying

“Adelaide has been linked to running defender Patrick Parnell, while it could look to bring in Tasmanian Oliver Davis, who has relocated to play with the Crows' SANFL team in recent weeks.”

What am I missing here?

I think it's just us saying that we think a 6 month trial (well... 2) is an absolute waste of time, and we're likely committed to Parnell for a while.

I think it's just us saying that we think a 6 month trial (well... 2) is an absolute waste of time, and we're likely committed to Parnell for a while.

Clearly. This is fine for a young merit draftee who can't necessarily be expected to be AFL-ready. I think Bearded-Clam's thoughts are probably more applicable to the mature-age long-term-injury replacement type who should be able to be judged on a short stint.

I think we might also be thinking we’ve got enough young speculative picks on our list who keep our development coaches busy, don’t need 3 more from a group who weren’t initially good enough to go in the ND

Don't know. a few of the more knowledgeable posters here that watch the kids might be able to shed some light Mutineer Skippos
Injuries a concern I would think given he's only played a handful of games the last 2 years, again this season all recruiters got was 1 game to judge him on albeit he did gather 30 disposals and it would have been a toss up who was the better player for the Bushies in that game Parnell or Maher. Hopefully he gets a run of games now in the lead up to the Nationals to get firmly back on the recruiters radars.

What am I missing here?
Clubs have to pay the player an additional $20,000 if they don't retain them beyond 6 months

What am I missing here?
Players has three options
- Nominate for 6 months
- Nominate for 18 months
- Name their own term.

Only Jai Newcombe named his own term, 30 months. This was seen as an attempt by Hawthorn to get him to slide to their second pick which didn’t work. I believe that the in demand players all nominated 18 months which isn’t a problem if a club is drafting future potential rather than an instant fix (i.e. Marlon Pickett). We will need 18 months to see if Parnell is a keeper so it works well for both sides.

Our issue was whether any of the 6 month nominees were worth a shot at our second pick or whether we wanted to lock in another 18 month contract. Clearly we decided the answer was no and no.

It was reported that Riley Knight nominated 18 months and this turned off possible suitors.

the crows offered him another chance, he said no thanks and then has the nerve to put himself in the mid season draft. sounds like a tosser to me.
Anyone hear Betts last night? Said Stengle had been misled I think was the word used. I'd accept that for one stuff up but not three.

His management have also handled the situation badly should have just stayed on an AFL list accepted the punishment and moved on

Back