• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone hear Betts last night? Said Stengle had been misled I think was the word used. I'd accept that for one stuff up but not three.

His management have also handled the situation badly should have just stayed on an AFL list accepted the punishment and moved on

What, Eddie couldn't convince the Carlton hierarchy to take him at pick 20, where they took another small forward?

A bit of Lachie Neale about him in the highlights rather than Caleb Daniel.
Same body shape too.
Can't say I see too much Lachie Neale in the way he plays, maybe the other Lachie of the "Ash" variety perhaps?

The AFL is the pinnacle of this sport, so effectively it is the same.
If you have to add “effectively” then it probably isn’t.
So let’s just f*** anything beneath it for the sake of something mid season no one ever really wanted.

Before the MSD every AFL club and every budding player did just fine, now apparently it’s a magical mid season panacea.
Anyway, the brainwashed zealots will eat it up as the next big discussion point of the week.....boy oh boy wowweee!!! Now let’s all see what’s Rupert is shoving down our brainholes on Foxtel tonight.
The epitomy of moronic.

Last edited:
Funny bloke, try the veal.
At least McEntee had the cojones to play last weekend.
Two of our most consistent players all year gone for no compensation.
Anyone would have to be a dead set myopic c*** to think this was good for Aussie Rules

Aussie Rules will recover. In fact I don't think it even dents it. Couple of guys getting called up to the big show mid season. Exciting stuff.

So let’s just f*** anything beneath it for the sake of something mid season no one ever really wanted.

Before the MSD every AFL club and every budding player did just fine, now apparently it’s a magical mid season panacea.
Anyway, the brainwashed zealots will eat it up as the next big discussion point of the week.....boy oh boy wowweee!!! Now let’s all see what’s Rupert is shoving down our brainholes on Foxtel tonight.
The epitomy of moronic.
On the up-side, if they're taking our guys, it means Sturt is doing a good job at developing players.

Yep

The SANFL clubs don't have to include players with AFL aspirations if they don't want to. Just get them to go to another club.

If you want the players that are around the mark to be on an AFL list though then this is the terrain. And to be fair, I haven't heard Sturt complaining about this
As I said, all SANFL clubs have been against the MSD from the start and continue to lobby against it...just as I said, apparently you think you know better.......
Senior players Ash Johnson and Jed McEntee were taken at picks #3 and #13 respectively in yesterday’s AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft. We look forward to watching them play in the AFL.
The Draft again proved that Sturt Football Club offers an excellent pathway for talented juniors and recruits to reach their dream of playing in the AFL.
We currently have 18 players at AFL Clubs which means our mission “The pursuit of excellence and success through continuous club-wide improvement including creating a pathway for our players to play in the AFL or SANFL” is working. Simply put, you play at Sturt, you will be noticed.
Whilst we are pleased for both players, it is bittersweet.
The Club remains vehemently opposed to the AFL Mid-Season Draft. Losing players halfway through a season that has already been plagued by injury and narrow losses only makes it more difficult to accept. Unfortunately, our opposition along with other SANFL Clubs and leagues to this draft continues to be ignored by the AFL.
Despite this we are a Club that in the face of adversity relies on its “can do” attitude. I am optimistic about what the future has in store for us. Ash and Jed’s departure makes way for other players to break into and/or secure their spot in the senior side. Marty’s game plan is beginning to resonate amongst the playing group and history shows results will soon follow.
Jason Killic
President

Maybe the SANFL clubs could loan out some fringe players to our reserves side to gain some league experience, with the option to bring them back after the MSD. Would be an improvement on our top ups and the players themselves would get some development amongst AFL listed players.

I think the club feels obligated to keep players on for longer than 6 months even if contractually not necessary.

well that would be piss weak. If the player needed longer, they have the opportunity to add 12 month increments to their deal if selected. They know the score going in and if we really didn't take players for that reason then it shows how pathetic a culture we have. That's a public service mentality, not elite level sporting team. But you're probably right.

If you have to add “effectively” then it probably isn’t.

The epitomy of moronic.
Mate you sound to me to be very bitter. Seeing kids develop and have success is one of the best parts of the game. Enjoy it.

For every Ash Johnson there’s probably 20 kids fighting and working for the opportunity his loss opens up.

Morgan Ferres is on Sturts list - give him some league games. Massive talent. 3rd tall forward - played a ressies game earlier before school footy started.

It’s a big cycle - good kids come, they go, new kids take their place. Lots return.

well that would be piss weak. If the player needed longer, they have the opportunity to add 12 month increments to their deal if selected. They know the score going in and if we really didn't take players for that reason then it shows how pathetic a culture we have. That's a public service mentality, not elite level sporting team. But you're probably right.

So being selective, and not wasting our time on what we've judged to be poor to mediocre prospects is a public service mentality instead of an elite sporting team?

Riiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhtttttttttt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So being selective, and not wasting our time on what we've judged to be poor to mediocre prospects is a public service mentality instead of an elite sporting team?

Riiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhtttttttttt.

No, I responded to someone posting that we didn't take them for list flexibility reasons and that we wouldn't want to cut them after the 6 month deal, so wouldn't take them at all. No mention of level of prospect or amount of time spent on them at all. I'm guessing you're a public servant because your reading comprehension is abysmal.

No, I responded to someone posting that we didn't take them for list flexibility reasons and that we wouldn't want to cut them after the 6 month deal, so wouldn't take them at all. No mention of level of prospect or amount of time spent on them at all. I'm guessing you're a public servant because your reading comprehension is abysmal.

Don't put it back on me that you are being so scattergunned with this, that you've lost all semblance of what you are complaining about.

There are hills to die on, and this ain't it hombre. Quick and dirty as to why. If you are selecting a raw kid, and you are not committed to them for 2 years (minimum), you are wasting your time. There is no magical "oh they might show something on a list", we've already seen what they offer, otherwise it's a terrible decision to draft them even before it starts. We have no business selecting older, mature age players (or kids with a low ceiling) either which a 6 month contract might have value. We are not trying to plug holes at this point in time. So list flexibility holds up unless you just want us to repeatedly bang our head against a wall to go "hey look, we're doing something. Did you see us delist that raw 20 year old. Aren't we so clever?"

The only thing you could argue is why aren't we getting our rookie picks sorted earlier? It's a cute strategy, but ultimately it doesn't really matter if its filled now or the main/rookie draft (as we might opt for less rookie list spots this offseason, which is the other thing to factor, we're not stuck with a 36/6/2 set up). Again running the risk we've frankly wasted our time.

Mate you sound to me to be very bitter. Seeing kids develop and have success is one of the best parts of the game. Enjoy it.

For every Ash Johnson there’s probably 20 kids fighting and working for the opportunity his loss opens up.

Morgan Ferres is on Sturts list - give him some league games. Massive talent. 3rd tall forward - played a ressies game earlier before school footy started.

It’s a big cycle - good kids come, they go, new kids take their place. Lots return.
Mate, you sound dull and unable to get the nuance of a point.

As I said, all SANFL clubs have been against the MSD from the start and continue to lobby against it...just as I said, apparently you think you know better.......
Senior players Ash Johnson and Jed McEntee were taken at picks #3 and #13 respectively in yesterday’s AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft. We look forward to watching them play in the AFL.
The Draft again proved that Sturt Football Club offers an excellent pathway for talented juniors and recruits to reach their dream of playing in the AFL.
We currently have 18 players at AFL Clubs which means our mission “The pursuit of excellence and success through continuous club-wide improvement including creating a pathway for our players to play in the AFL or SANFL” is working. Simply put, you play at Sturt, you will be noticed.
Whilst we are pleased for both players, it is bittersweet.
The Club remains vehemently opposed to the AFL Mid-Season Draft. Losing players halfway through a season that has already been plagued by injury and narrow losses only makes it more difficult to accept. Unfortunately, our opposition along with other SANFL Clubs and leagues to this draft continues to be ignored by the AFL.
Despite this we are a Club that in the face of adversity relies on its “can do” attitude. I am optimistic about what the future has in store for us. Ash and Jed’s departure makes way for other players to break into and/or secure their spot in the senior side. Marty’s game plan is beginning to resonate amongst the playing group and history shows results will soon follow.
Jason Killic
President
There are two parts to it

Are we opposed to losing players in the midseason draft? I hadn't heard us bleat about it pathetically recently but I stand corrected. We are.

The more important question is Should we be? Unquestionably the answer is no. That we are is utterly embarrassing

On the one hand Kilic is bragging about having 18 players on AFL lists, what a sign of a great club... and on the other hand he's saying that we shouldn't have lost these two guys to AFL lists, it's so unfair... with a straight face.

Just embarrassing. I'm almost tempted to tee off via email to him but... I actually feel for him a bit, because I assume there's a few vocal, rusted on members with these backward views that he is forced to placate. Like Port Power crapping on about the prison bars to placate their most outraged creed believers, when really the club doesn't give a stuff outside of a few $ales.

There are two parts to it

Are we opposed to losing players in the midseason draft? I hadn't heard us bleat about it pathetically recently but I stand corrected. We are.

The more important question is Should we be? Unquestionably the answer is no. That we are is utterly embarrassing

On the one hand Kilic is bragging about having 18 players on AFL lists, what a sign of a great club... and on the other hand he's saying that we shouldn't have lost these two guys to AFL lists, it's so unfair... with a straight face.

Just embarrassing. I'm almost tempted to tee off via email to him but... I actually feel for him a bit, because I assume there's a few vocal, rusted on members with these backward views that he is forced to placate. Like Port Power crapping on about the prison bars to placate their most outraged creed believers, when really the club doesn't give a stuff outside of a few $ales.
“On the one hand Kilic is bragging about having 18 players on AFL lists, what a sign of a great club... and on the other hand he's saying that we shouldn't have lost these two guys to AFL lists, it's so unfair... with a straight face.”

Again you fail to see the very obvious nuance of the issue and contribute part of his statement as his and the club’s entire position, you’ve taken it entirely out of context to suit your own position....well done, great achievement.

The club and nearly every other SANFL club, has no problem in developing players to be the best they can and get drafted, it is a signifier of a good development system and one a club should be proud of, it’s purely the timing of this draft that clubs and supporters have an issue with yet you and others continually jump to your default argument that ‘SANFL diehards don’t accept players being drafted’ etc etc, which is an inane representation of the point, a manipulated and dishonest one.
There’s many in the football industry that consider the MSD to be pointless, now being manipulated away from its core intention and an unfair cost to State League clubs,
Matt Rendell is vehemently opposed to it for many reasons, s**t, even Rucci and Kane Cornes think it’s a ridiculous concept and an unfair cost to clubs. The same reasons these people oppose it are the same reasons I and others have pointed out and the same reasons the SANFL and its clubs pointed out when the AFL requested feedback on it and the same reasons why they still oppose it.
IT’S GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH PLAYERS BEING DRAFTED!! Only when they are being drafted....paint it however you like in order to construct a blinkered opinion and biased argument, they are the facts, that is the argument.

How many more opportunities do you think AFL clubs need to draft players?
We have the main AFL Draft, the rookie draft, the pre season draft, the pre season supplementary draft and the mid season draft....what more do you want? How about the “our list is s**t and mismanaged” draft, or the “our reserves team is on the eve of finals”draft?
The MSD was never needed before, it’s not needed now and if AFL clubs can’t get their s**t together without raping clubs mid season then it’s not anyone else’s problem but theirs, if a kid hasn’t been drafted in the multiple opportunities already on offer then you know what, he ain’t gonna make it, just as most of these players drafted recently will never make it.

Stop misrepresenting people to suit your own argument.

“On the one hand Kilic is bragging about having 18 players on AFL lists, what a sign of a great club... and on the other hand he's saying that we shouldn't have lost these two guys to AFL lists, it's so unfair... with a straight face.”

Again you fail to see the very obvious nuance of the issue and contribute part of his statement as his and the club’s entire position, you’ve taken it entirely out of context to suit your own position....well done, great achievement.

The club and nearly every other SANFL club, has no problem in developing players to be the best they can and get drafted, it is a signifier of a good development system and one a club should be proud of, it’s purely the timing of this draft that clubs and supporters have an issue with yet you and others continually jump to your default argument that ‘SANFL diehards don’t accept players being drafted’ etc etc, which is an inane representation of the point, a manipulated and dishonest one.
There’s many in the football industry that consider the MSD to be pointless, now being manipulated away from its core intention and an unfair cost to State League clubs,
Matt Rendell is vehemently opposed to it for many reasons, sh*t, even Rucci and Kane Cornes think it’s a ridiculous concept and an unfair cost to clubs. The same reasons these people oppose it are the same reasons I and others have pointed out and the same reasons the SANFL and its clubs pointed out when the AFL requested feedback on it and the same reasons why they still oppose it.
IT’S GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH PLAYERS BEING DRAFTED!! Only when they are being drafted....paint it however you like in order to construct a blinkered opinion and biased argument, they are the facts, that is the argument.

We have the main AFL Draft, the rookie draft, the pre season draft, the pre season supplementary draft and the mid season draft....what more do you want? How about the “our list is sh*t and mismanaged” draft, or the “our reserves team is on the eve of finals”draft?
The MSD was never needed before, it’s not needed now and if AFL clubs can’t get their sh*t together without raping clubs mid season then it’s not anyone else’s problem but theirs, if a kid hasn’t been drafted in the multiple opportunities already on offer then you know what, he ain’t gonna make it, just as most of these players drafted recently will never make it.

The chance for Johnson or McEntee might not be there later

An SANFL club with a clear picture of their role would be delighted that one of their players got an AFL opportunity at any time

What exactly is the problem?

We might lose games without these players!

Ok. So?

Well... winning games is the most important thing to us.

Hang on... I thought you were all about producing talent and playing an integral role in the football pathway?

Umm... that too.

A club that is truly about development would be delighted that there is this extra draft opportunity for their players to make a career out of football. That we aren't says everything.

Matt Rendell is vehemently opposed to it for many reasons, sh*t, even Rucci and Kane Cornes think it’s a ridiculous concept and an unfair cost to clubs. The same reasons these people oppose it are the same reasons I and others have pointed out and the same reasons the SANFL and its clubs pointed out when the AFL requested feedback on it and the same reasons why they still oppose it.

We have the main AFL Draft, the rookie draft, the pre season draft, the pre season supplementary draft and the mid season draft....what more do you want? How about the “our list is sh*t and mismanaged” draft, or the “our reserves team is on the eve of finals”draft?
The MSD was never needed before, it’s not needed now and if AFL clubs can’t get their sh*t together without raping clubs mid season then it’s not anyone else’s problem but theirs, if a kid hasn’t been drafted in the multiple opportunities already on offer then you know what, he ain’t gonna make it, just as most of these players drafted recently will never make it.

AMEN to that..I agree 100% and losing players mid season is the very worst time to lose players as they are impossible to replace and can totally derail a season. The local clubs have members and supporters to answer to that are the lifeblood of their organisations and missing finals etc can badly affect a clubs finances. Sturt likely win that game last weekend V north if their best performed forward played and maybe that helps them towards a finals spot..not now

An SANFL club with a clear picture of their role would be delighted that one of their players got an AFL opportunity at any time

Ok. So?

Hang on... I thought you were all about producing talent and playing an integral role in the football pathway?

Umm... that too.

A club that is truly about development would be delighted that there is this extra draft opportunity for their players to make a career out of football. That we aren't says everything.

This is spot on. Used to work with former rooster Rod Saunders and I remember him telling the story how he was drafted in the mid season to Essendon but he did not want to let his side down as they were on the path to finals (which they won that year with the infamous Steven Sims gutless snipe). Anyways, he showed up at Essendon after the GF to see if he could negotiate a playing contract and was flatly told he would never be in Essendons plans ever again.

So yeah, he has a flag to look back on, so he has some comfort but someone like McEntee or Johnson, whose side won't play finals, there will be no comfort thinking they got their side to 7th that year passing up their one shot...one opportunity

I've personally been part of a club that's had its premiership chances jeopardized by Sturt taking interest in a key player in July and whisking him away for three reserves games before he broke a collarbone.

Really fail to see the difference except that we were rapt for the bloke, and Sturt didn't pay us a cent.

The SANFL can really go and die in a hole of its own hypocrisy

Ok. So?

Umm... that too.

Congratulations to the players that get drafted, it's a chance in a lifetime and more power to them.

Chazwazza acknowledges this but from his viewpoint as a SANFL follower he has a point.

Winning games is the most important aim of a SANFL club, producing talent to get drafted is a by product of that endeavour.
No SANFL club has a mission statement to be a feeder club first and foremost.
They primarily want to win premierships and so do their supporters.
That is the goal of all the AFL teams, in fact it's the goal of any club at any level.

Sure losing a player opens up a position for someone else but in reality they are less talented or more junior and don't have as great an impact as the player they lost.
Recruiting a senior player of equivalent talent elsewhere is impossible as they are already signed for that season.
The trouble with taking away quality players from a team mid term is it severely weakens your chances of winning a premiership in that year....that's a fact!

Some posters here have a hatred of the SANFL while others enjoy both the SANFL and AFL competitions.
Both arguments have valid pro's and cons but this is an argument of perspective and which side of the fence you sit.

Winning games is the most important aim of a SANFL club, producing talent to get drafted is a by product of that endeavour.
No SANFL club has a mission statement to be a feeder club first and foremost.
They primarily want to win premierships and so do their supporters.
That is the goal of all the AFL teams, in fact it's the goal of any club at any level.
This is spot on and is the key point

Clubs will say stuff like this but the above is the truth:

Back