List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm personally pretty disappointed in the strategy. We really needed a player that could step in straight away and impact AFL. Whereas this seems like a speculative longer term pick, in a position that we are heavily stocked. Really struggle to understand it.

He can play straight away and we are light on for mids.

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Neale's draft profile has him listed at 177cm and 77kg so identical to McEntee

except Neale was 2 years younger and i guess by the time he was McEntee's age he had gained a fair few kegs
Neale is a good player though.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Let me get this right.. because we recruited a Sturt player, we cant actually play him against Sturt

thats absurd

Where is this written? ive never heard this before

As soon as ET mentioned it this rang a bell, it's just that we didn't take part in the 2019 mid-year draft (correct me if I'm wrong) so it never came up.

EDIT: we stole Sam Cutliffe from the Port Adelaide Magpies in 2019, so he needed Port Adelaide Magpies permission to play SANFL games against the Port Adelaide Magpies. I hear they were fully co-operative.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As I said before, these are the guys that got overlooked in a draft, rookie draft and supplemental period. Some have been through the process a couple of times.

A handful have shown something Edwards, Moyle, Heath and Callow, maybe a couple of others. Most are very raw like McAndrew or Johnson. The others have been washed through the system and are probably SANFL/3rd in line depth.

Freeman could have pinged a hamstring and had an 80k port Adelaide rehab. Knight would have been in the Farrell, Woodcock, Bonner, etc outsider mix and not addressed our inside/HFF needs.

Wouldn’t have minded too much who we picked but this lad doesn’t seem too bad. Tests well, no injury history, has some talent.

As discussed in some of the drafting threads late talls rarely come on. Late in the draft, essentially what the mid season draft is, is where you can grab small forwards, small backs and the like. We need a pressure forward - Farrell, Motlop, Rozee, Woodcock, Gray and Raz are not pressure forwards. It’s something we’ve lacked. He looks like a good tackler, quick, agile and could roll through the midfield and half forward flank as well. Sure he plays midfield at SANFL but I’m sure we can move him round.

If he doesn’t work - no huge loss and we should know by the end year so no loss in terms of list spots either.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t know where people are getting this small forward thing from? Where ever you’ve seen that completely disregard it. It’s wrong. He’s a midfielder.

I watched him play in the champs, if I recall he played in the same team as rozee , hately luko.

saw him at Alberton if my memory serves correctly. He was one of our key on-ballers along with Lewis and sparrow.

He’s absolutely a midfielder at sanfl level, but I just don’t see that he’s going to make it as an afl footballer.

Having said that he’s pretty well exactly what the magpies need and I’m all for making them competitive. I’ve said many times that success breeds success and I want our young players playing in a winning team. Jed helps us.

I don’t know where people are getting this small forward thing from? Where ever you’ve seen that completely disregard it. It’s wrong. He’s a midfielder.

I watched him play in the champs, if I recall he played in the same team as rozee , hately luko.

saw him at Alberton if my memory serves correctly. He was one of our key on-ballers along with Lewis and sparrow.

He’s absolutely a midfielder at sanfl level, but I just don’t see that he’s going to make it as an afl footballer.

Having said that he’s pretty well exactly what the magpies need and I’m all for making them competitive. I’ve said many times that success breeds success and I want our young players playing in a winning team. Jed helps us.

Hes a slightly shorter Jo Atley.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Let me get this right.. because we recruited a Sturt player, we cant actually play him against Sturt

thats absurd

Where is this written? ive never heard this before

Just on this again, 6PR have just being talking to the player WCE picked up from Swan Districts and it sounds like he has to keep playing for them if he's not picked in the Eagles' AFL side, so that's even more pissant than the SNAFL, if possible.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I’m with you but Port have said they see him being used in the forward half.

Being short, slight of stature, athletic and a reasonable tackler, if he is going to be used at AFL, it’ll be through the forward line.

Better than Jo Atley?

I remember your excitement when Atley was drafted. Injury really didn’t help him.

Well Atley sadly didnt make it so Jed has every chance to be better than him.

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Cripps said in the club article that they see him playing forward. He will be a small forward.

If we want to make the Magpies better why not just draft a Knight or Freeman type who we know what we will get from them?

I also really don't see how a small forward fills a short term need for us. All our injuries are in midfield.

It's just a bizarre pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back