List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps said in the club article that they see him playing forward. He will be a small forward.

If we want to make the Magpies better why not just draft a Knight or Freeman type who we know what we will get from them?

I also really don't see how a small forward fills a short term need for us. All our injuries are in midfield.

It's just a bizarre pick.

It really isn't a bizarre pick. Also worth noting that outside of Richmond, noone else really went the short term route

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It really isn't a bizarre pick. Also worth noting that outside of Richmond, noone else really went the short term route
and Richmond wasted a pick on Parker who i dont rate

I'd much rather work with a younger developing player than a saints discard

Maybe we should have re-drafted Logan Austin :rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you’re north, Essendon, Collingwood, Adelaide, Freo or St Kilda, do you really need a mature aged player? Particularly if it means another player to delist at the end of the year or are you going to chase a long term prospect?

Gold Coast is the odd one as they need a ruck now, not down the track.

For the teams in contention, a part of your success is the ability to keep players on the park. Port’s midfield hole is for a top end inside/outside midfielder. We need Merrett, Kelly, etc.

Knight, Freeman, etc would have been like Sutcliffe in 2019. I wouldn’t have minded if we took them but they won’t be the difference.

McEntee might develop into something and gives us a ready to go bit of depth in that small forward/HFF/midfield rotations. The good talls were gone so why not try McEntee?

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No issues with this. He has some qualities that could serve us well both on the training track and in match play. If he can bring a Zac Bailey type of quality to our forward-mid group, then that would be something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have liked us to pun on Freeman who could be anything if he is over his injuries

Freeman’s shot will come at the end of the year you’d reckon. Keep proving his fitness and building his body, then go somewhere like Hawthorn or Freo.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sounds like we see him as a pressure forward. Pressure forwards who don't kick goals are my absolute least favourite type of player. Hopes are extremely low.
Don’t even like the word pressure forward.
I the old days (twilight zone music in the background) forwards kicked goals defenders tried to stop forwards kicking goals...I liked it better that way.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don’t even like the word pressure forward.
I the old days (twilight zone music in the background) forwards kicked goals defenders tried to stop forwards kicking goals...I liked it better that way.
I tend to agree and yet of having a defensive small forward who locks the ball in is what wins us a premiership then I don’t care what it looks like.

The only Port premiership sides used to get criticized for being too old, too rough, too defensive, not skilled enough etc etc. yet come GF day they would beat the s**t out of the pretty boys from Glenelg/Norwood/Sturt/North.

Imagime the reacts on here if we recruited an 18yo, 172cm Tim Ginever.

From his Wiki.

"Ginever made his SANFL debut as a 17-year-old rover in 1983. If you were to undertake a detailed objective assessment of Tim Ginever's football ability - marking, kicking, pace, ball skills and so forth - you might conceivably end up wondering how they could possibly be combined to produce a player of league standard. Tim Ginever, however, was much more than just an average league player; he was arguably one of the most important SANFL footballers of the 1980s and 1990s, and provided conclusively persuasive evidence that success in football is at least as much attributable to mental as to physical capabilities."

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
lol the SA Footy forum:

2314324.jpg

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Funny thing is, they have until 30 June to do just that. They just have to offer those players something better than what they have whether it's money or opportunity, get SANFL permission and pay a transfer fee. It's been happening for a hundred years ffs.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For a laugh, I decided to flashback to 2003 to see how people reacted to drafting Josh Mahoney. Many melts were had and people straight-up calling him a waste of a pick and would never get a game for Port. Never change bigfooty.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I tend to agree and yet of having a defensive small forward who locks the ball in is what wins us a premiership then I don’t care what it looks like.

The only Port premiership sides used to get criticized for being too old, too rough, too defensive, not skilled enough etc etc. yet come GF day they would beat the sh*t out of the pretty boys from Glenelg/Norwood/Sturt/North.

Imagime the reacts on here if we recruited an 18yo, 172cm Tim Ginever.

From his Wiki.

"Ginever made his SANFL debut as a 17-year-old rover in 1983. If you were to undertake a detailed objective assessment of Tim Ginever's football ability - marking, kicking, pace, ball skills and so forth - you might conceivably end up wondering how they could possibly be combined to produce a player of league standard. Tim Ginever, however, was much more than just an average league player; he was arguably one of the most important SANFL footballers of the 1980s and 1990s, and provided conclusively persuasive evidence that success in football is at least as much attributable to mental as to physical capabilities."

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah in the old days size and shape never meant as much. It was all about being able to kick a football. You go way back when Bubbles Obst won the Medal in 67 it was easier to jump over the top of him than walk around him but he knew how to kick a footy.
Players like him and Ron Elleway had real football skill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back