List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be noted that none of the 19yo’s picked in the last mid season draft made it. The only players that have looked quality were older experienced guys like Pickett, Snelling and Noble

True but 2 factors to consider

1. Small sample size. We haven’t had many mid years drafts.

2. Last years covid season

Having said that there doesn’t appear to be a great standout mature player this year.

While my preference is to take a young player that may develop into something, I think it’s worth considering that such a player may either not exist or not be easily identifiable right now. So we may pass, but my money is on them looking for ready made depth cover. Pick a recent delistee out of a hat and that’s who money should be on.

If “young guy who could develop into a player” isn’t our pick, then I’m all for strengthening the magpies decimated midfield with a reliable high character guy who can start in our midfield.

Should be noted that none of the 19yo’s picked in the last mid season draft made it. The only players that have looked quality were older experienced guys like Pickett, Snelling and Noble
none of those guys didn't have a year off previously

We need another mid.
Riley O'Rory
Serious upgrade on Sam O’Sutcliffe tho.

The Power could do worse than pick up an ex-Crow, with Riley Knight leading the SANFL for disposals at Woodville-West Torrens and posting impressive numbers. They might even think about giving a lifeline to Cam Sutcliffe, who has led Port Magpies this year and is training at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Power could do worse than pick up an ex-Crow, with Riley Knight leading the SANFL for disposals at Woodville-West Torrens and posting impressive numbers. They might even think about giving a lifeline to Cam Sutcliffe, who has led Port Magpies this year and is training at the club.

Har har har.
It is to laugh!

RossFC's injury list thread post had the following 3 Long Term Injuries - LTI

Mead (Spleen, 14 weeks)
Duursma (Knee, 12 weeks)
Pasini (Shoulder, 10 weeks)

The way I read it we may be able to select upto 4 players / rookies after rd 11 in the Mid Season Draft. Those 3 and the vacant rookie spot.

1st of December story on afl.com.au

THE AFL has committed to a single Mid-Season Rookie Draft next year, ditching a proposal for multiple 'waiver'-style periods throughout the season. Clubs received confirmation on Tuesday that the Mid-Season Rookie Draft would return on Wednesday, June 2, 2021, after being put on hold this season due to COVID-19.

Clubs eligible to select a player during the June intake must have a list spot open following the Rookie Draft or have moved a player to the inactive list via a retirement or long-term injury.

The AFL also confirmed the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) will return from January 6 and run until March 9 on the eve of the 2021 season.
Should any player selected in the SSP have signed a contract with a state league club, their new AFL home will be required to pay $10,000 that will come from outside the football department soft cap. Exclusions apply for players who had signed a consent form to train with the AFL club before committing to the state league club, or if the player was entering the 2020 drafts for the first time in their 18th year.

The flat fee of $10,000 applies for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft without any exclusions.

As was the case in 2019, players selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will need approval from their original state league club should the two teams meet during the season, while the Mid-Season draftee will be eligible to return to their original club for finals if not required by their AFL club.

So one player would cost us $10k plus say 5/12 a rookie base of $80k and if he plays 10 state games @$500 game that would be approx $48k. If he plays 3 AFL games @$4k a game and 7 state games that's approx $58k.

Would the club spend approx $250k on 4 players? I doubt it. But it might go 2.

This is the mechanics of how the LTI list would work and putting players on and off the LTI list. A player has to be injured for 8 weeks but only needs to be on the official LTI list for 6. So any Mid Season draft player selected to fill an LTI player needs to still be out of action for 6 weeks after we decided to replace them and put them on the LTI list.

So Mead is going to be out of action 6 weeks after the Mid Season Draft, Duursma might be, and Pasini should be close to ready to play if it is only a 10 week injury in total. It first went up as 10-12 week injury when he did it in the trial game at end of March against crows.

This is all from AFL Rules effective 16 February 2021 document you can download from

1. General
1.1 Definitions
Long Term Injury: an injury or illness suffered by a Player which, in the opinion of the AFL Medical Director, after consulting with the Club Medical Officer, will prevent or is likely to prevent a Player, having due regard to his health and safety, from participating in a Match for a period of not less than eight weeks from the date the injury or illness is diagnosed.

Long Term Injury List: in respect of each Club, the list of Players referred to in Rule 26.

6.7 Mid-Season Draft
The AFL may determine in its absolute discretion to hold a mid-AFL Season Draft and may impement such processes and procesdures as it sees fit to govern such Draft.

26. Long Term Injury List
26.1 Long Term Injury List
(a) Where a Player is suffering from a Long Term Injury, a Club may, in accordance with this Rule 26, apply to the AFL to remove the Player’s name from its Primary List and include the Player’s name on its Long Term Injury List.

(b) Where a Player is included on the Club’s Long Term Injury List, a Club may apply to the AFL to remove a Player’s name from its Category B Rookie List and include that Player’s name on its Primary List. A Club shall nominate the Player to be transferred from its Rookie List to its Primary List by including that Player’s name on the Application to be lodged with the AFL in accordance with Rule 26.2.

26.4 Duration on Long Term Injury List
(a) An injured Player transferred to a Club’s Long Term Injury List is ineligible to play in the AFL Competition or a State Body competition for a minimum period of 6 weeks, commencing from the day on which the General Counsel gives his approval for the injured Player to transfer to the Club’s Long Term Injury List.
(b) A Club is unable to transfer an injured Player to its Long Term Injury List, after 2.00pm on the Thursday following Round 18 of the Home and Away Matches in each year (or after such other time determined by the General Counsel).

26.5 Transfer from Long Term Injury List to Primary List
(a) Subject to Rule 26.4 and 26.5(b), a Club may make written application in the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 23(A) to the General Counsel for the transfer of a Player from its Long Term Injury List to the Club’s Primary List provided that the Club Medical Officer or the medical practitioner who has treated the Player certifies that the Player has recovered from his injury or illness sufficiently to allow the Player, having due regard to his health and safety, to play in a Match and such certification is lodged with the application. Upon receipt of such application, the General Counsel shall give effect to the request of the Club.

(b) Where a Player is transferred from a Club’s Long Term Injury List to its Primary List, the Club may request the General Counsel to:
(i) transfer the Player transferred from the Club’s Rookie List under Rule 26.1(b) back to the Club’s Rookie List unless that Player is included on the Club’s Primary List at the time it is lodged with the AFL under Rules 6.1 or 7.2; or
(ii) transfer from the Club’s Primary List to the Club’s Rookie List another Player who is eligible to be included on the Club’s Rookie List at the time of transfer.
(c) Where a Club gives notice to the General Counsel in accordance with Rule 26.5(b), the General Counsel shall, upon being satisfied that the requirements therein set out are satisfied, give effect to the request of the Club.

26.6 Treatment and Amount of Football Payments – Rookie List Player and Injured Player
(a) Where a Player is transferred from a Club’s Rookie List to its Primary List under Rule 26.1(b), the Football Payments in respect of that Player shall be excluded from the Club’s Total Player Payments until:

(i) such Player is included on the Club’s Primary List after the return of the injured Player to the Club’s Primary List; or

(ii) where the Rookie List Player is included on the Club’s Primary List under Rules 6.1 or 7.2, or

(iii) the injured Player is deleted from the Injury List,

whereupon the Football Payments which, from that date are included in the Club’s Total Player Payments, shall include Match payments and a proportion of the Player’s base payment calculated by dividing the base payment by the total number of Home and Away Matches and multiplying that amount by the number of Home and Away Matches remaining in that Football Year
(b) The Football Payments in respect of a Player included on a Club’s Long Term Injury List shall be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.

Last edited:
What about a Marlion Pickett type? Wouldn't mind a Brodie Mihocek type ie a 24-25 year old plays CHB at VFL level who when forced to play as CHF at AFL level, gets the job done.
true, but at 27 he was like a 19-20 year old having been incarcerated and not having been flogged on the track. Also, a 'fast twitch' athlete, not a in and under mid tier accumulator

Jackson Callow looking a likely type for Norwood vs Centrals at Elizabeth. Couple of goals, 4 contested marks to half time.

194cm 95kg, so a good size. Hawthorn have had a close look in the pre-season.

Also like Jacob Kennerly but probably because Cummins boys should be at Port, not Norwood ;)

As much as I want to draft a kid who hasn't had the exposure due to Covid, with our current injury list, would Freeman be an option ??
I mentioned that 2 months ago. I love the idea of Freeman, if he can stay injury free up to the date - I am all in on him for 2 years. If he has so much as a runny nose, I’m out thanks.

As much as I want to draft a kid who hasn't had the exposure due to Covid, with our current injury list, would Freeman be an option ??
My concern is that you would draft him to be a plug and play type, but he is so injury prone that im not sure you would get him on the park often enough. The last thing you want is to draft him to sit on the injury list for half a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back