List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t have cap room to draft anyone, despite their salary sitting outside the cap.
Scraping the bottom of the barrel here aren’t you.

I'm not famiilar with this ruling... good news if true. All I could find is that $80k per rookie is outside the cap.

Could you explain a bit further why you think midseason players come to the club "cap free"? As far As I'm aware midseason draftees are automatically on the main list. Is there a special salary cap exemption for them?

Last edited:

I don’t know about that.

Watching Langdon meander out of the defense like he was on a Sunday stroll says otherwise to me, but I get it based on what we’ve seen of Ruscoe the forward. He looked solid enough to start with down back last night.

Conceded less than 1 free kick a game and I’d venture very few of those were for holding the ball or incorrect disposal so to say he was “caught with the footy” is just wrong. Yes, his decision making wasn’t exceptional but I also think that was as much to do with looking for the perfect option rather than identifying a team mate and just putting it to their advantage and trusting them to win it. That delay sometime affected his disposal but it’s not the same as being caught with the footy.
I'm not saying he got caught with the footy, i'm saying he more often than most had pressure on his disposal when he was previously in space because he didn't get rid of it soon enough.

I've tried. I can't.

I just can't understand what they were thinking. Our backroom boys are nuffies. They weren't even targetting Poulter as they bid on another bloke and then traded the pick down a few times, they just thought a sh*t deal was good value.
I disagree on that. We rated Poulter top 20. I believe we had sussed out that teams with the picks between that point in the draft (pick 24???) and pick 30 or whatever it was, weren’t interested in Poulter.

e.g. we slightly rated McRae over Henry but knew GWS liked Henry and would have taken him with pick 18. GWS didn’t have the same level of interest in McRae. We took Henry with 17 & McRae with 19.

I disagree on that. We rated Poulter top 20. I believe we had sussed out that teams with the picks between that point in the draft (pick 24???) and pick 30 or whatever it was, weren’t interested in Poulter.

e.g. we slightly rated McRae over Henry but knew GWS liked Henry and would have taken him with pick 18. GWS didn’t have the same level of interest in McRae. We took Henry with 17 & McRae with 19.

Wasting your time. This level of nuance is lost on Sr.

Watching Langdon meander out of the defense like he was on a Sunday stroll says otherwise to me, but I get it based on what we’ve seen of Ruscoe the forward. He looked solid enough to start with down back last night.
Yeah but I think looking laconic doesn’t mean you’re not quick. I’ve seen periods where Langdon ran away from opponents and even chasing them down.

And there were occassions with ball in hand where he was definitely too relaxed unaware of the opposition coming from behind.

I do think Ruscoe is quick. Maybe quicker. And I think his more of a defender than a forward. But I’m not so sure he has a good footy brain. In fact, from what I have seen on the field, this is something he really needs to work on. That’s why I think he needs a solid year in the VFL only to better learn the game and what is expected of him.

Yeah but I think looking laconic doesn’t mean you’re not quick. I’ve seen periods where Langdon ran away from opponents and even chasing them down.

And there were occassions with ball in hand where he was definitely too relaxed unaware of the opposition coming from behind.

I do think Ruscoe is quick. Maybe quicker. And I think his more of a defender than a forward. But I’m not so sure he has a good footy brain. In fact, from what I have seen on the field, this is something he really needs to work on. That’s why I think he needs a solid year in the VFL only to better learn the game and what is expected of him.

I think you’re playing checkers here while I’m playing chess.

I noted in my initial post which you quoted that Langdon had elite closing speed so he was quick. His issue was that he was slow of mind which meant he would look laconic or take an eternity to assess his options. He didn’t play on instinct and his footy brain was poor except when it came to reading it in flight.

Therefore when I referenced footy brain in my initial post I meant Ruscoe is poor in that regard.

I'm not famiilar with this ruling... good news if true. All I could find is that $80k per rookie is outside the cap.

Could you explain a bit further why you think midseason players come to the club "cap free"? As far As I'm aware midseason draftees are automatically on the main list. Is there a special salary cap exemption for them?
It is a rookie draft, so players should be going onto the rookie list. Noble was picked up in the 2019 mid-season rookie draft and has been on our rookie list since then. We had two picks we didn't use in the (rookie) draft held late last year and should be able to fill those vacancies now.

It is a rookie draft, so players should be going onto the rookie list. Noble was picked up in the 2019 mid-season rookie draft and has been on our rookie list since then. We had two picks we didn't use in the (rookie) draft held late last year and should be able to fill those vacancies now.

Gotcha. And the base salary of $80k is outside the cap?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasting your time. This level of nuance is lost on Sr.
Nuanced? Rated him top 20? At pick 25, there was probably a few left that we rated top 20 and you can guarantee tthat the academy kid we bid on is one of them. And considering that we got 5 of the amazingly rounded number of the top 31, rated top 20 probably means rated 20.

Last edited:
Re: Edwards

I don’t think we’re in a position to turn down a “top-10-in-ND” talent in any position on the ground. We have a talent deficient roster, and if like in Wilson’s case we can secure talented prospects outside the usual channels, we have to go for it barring character concerns. I don’t need to remind anyone that although we will be able to secure a first-round talent in Nick Daicos, we don’t have a first round pick, this is a way to mitigate our losses.

Maybe Edwards can back up an ageing Grundy in a few years, maybe he becomes a forward or a Roughy/Keeffe style tall defender. Either way, if available, grab him and run.

I think you’re playing checkers here while I’m playing chess.

I noted in my initial post which you quoted that Langdon had elite closing speed so he was quick. His issue was that he was slow of mind which meant he would look laconic or take an eternity to assess his options. He didn’t play on instinct and his footy brain was poor except when it came to reading it in flight.

Therefore when I referenced footy brain in my initial post I meant Ruscoe is poor in that regard.
Langers had an excellent footy brain. He read the play extremely well. In terms of him hatching it, that was our transition plan. We triangulated, drew the tacklers and fed it to the man in space who looked to shift it to the flanks where our gut runners had often found space. It worked beautifully until teams stopped rushing the ball and instead sweated on the guys positioned for the handball receive.

His issue was early game intensity. He'd come out of the shed appearing stoned and would give up a couple of early goals, before getting up to tempo and being very good for the rest of the game.

This is spot on. Clubs have a lot more idea what players opposition clubs are interested in than we give credit for. In Niall’s war room article after the draft he wrote that we knew that North was really keen on Spicer when we traded up to get either him or McCreery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back