List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it doesn’t mean that at all. Don’t twist my words. There’s a stark difference between not writing a player off instantly based on their draft position and assuming they’re going to be a gun. It’s astonishing people here aren’t able to differentiate between the two.

But have you written off Begg? Why do you think he is going to be worse than Callow?

Either way, none of us will be right until we see what happens with Callow in the next 12 months, so no point in us debating it now. You're on record quite clearly with your position, so leave it there and know you can bring it up comfortably if he turns out to be AFL level.

I still think it would be foolhardy to let him play for sturt this week as he has just had an ankle injury anyway, could you imagine the outcry if he got injured playing for them I could, besides which going by our recent injury profiles we have more than enough ways to injure our own players unfortunately.
Probably right.
but he might not play until July otherwise at any level

Johnson is fine but the Begg selection on the other hand... technically speaking... he has a point.

this is what the AFL say the midseason draft is for:

"Why is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft being introduced?
It's an effort to limit the impact of long-term injuries and premature retirements at AFL clubs.

Holding the draft midway through the season gives clubs the opportunity to replenish their lists for the back half of the campaign."

I'm not sure drafting a guy with a long term injury that will prevent him from playing for the next 12 months is what the AFL had in mind there. Begg was allowed to be in the draft by the AFL so they can hardly turn around and say we somehow have taken unfair advantage by selecting him... they need to tighten up the eligibility rules if they think it's an issue.
In a weird sort of way it has potentially helped a struggling club by providing them access to a player who may be a late developer and that would shoot up draft boards meaning we’d miss out in a future ND

Johnson is fine but the Begg selection on the other hand... technically speaking... he has a point.

this is what the AFL say the midseason draft is for:

"Why is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft being introduced?
It's an effort to limit the impact of long-term injuries and premature retirements at AFL clubs.

Holding the draft midway through the season gives clubs the opportunity to replenish their lists for the back half of the campaign."

I'm not sure drafting a guy with a long term injury that will prevent him from playing for the next 12 months is what the AFL had in mind there. Begg was allowed to be in the draft by the AFL so they can hardly turn around and say we somehow have taken unfair advantage by selecting him... they need to tighten up the eligibility rules if they think it's an issue.

Was always going to Happen and Smart Clubs knew how to do it

But have you written off Begg? Why do you think he is going to be worse than Callow?
Show me where I’ll have and I’ll retract it. I haven’t actually stated who I think will be the better player, only that Callows body of work is far more impressive than Beggs up to this point. Once again, stop twisting my words.
My main irritation to this point is that we could conceivably have easily selected Begg as a rookie at the end of the year, given that he’s injured and won’t play again. He definitely wouldn’t have been selected in the ND given the circumstances.

Show me where I’ll have and I’ll retract it. I haven’t actually stated who I think will be the better player, only that Callows body of work is far more impressive than Beggs up to this point. Once again, stop twisting my words.
My main irritation to this point is that we could conceivably have easily selected Begg as a rookie at the end of the year, given that he’s injured and won’t play again. He definitely wouldn’t have been selected in the ND given the circumstances.
You should be a Collingwood recruiter, apparently you know more than them...from the comfort of your keyboard.

You should be a Collingwood recruiter, apparently you know more than them...from the comfort of your keyboard.
Are you seriously suggesting our recruiters are beyond criticism?

You’re reading in to it way too much. I’m frustrated because our club yet again refused to draft an actual key forward when presented with the opportunity to do so. Instead we got a tweener and a forward/ruck. They’ve learned nothing from the last few years and we’re still lacking a genuine tall forward target and will be for the foreseeable future now.

Surely we've got a planwhen our salary cap opens up to attack a KPP player ooc or through free agency. Surely there's a plan. Feels like I've been saying that for 10 yrs.

I’m going to console myself with the reality that even if Callow is not a bust, there is also a possibility that he becomes a mediocre plodder who keeps his job but doesn’t really help us win, and he remains one-dimensional and only able to play the one position while killing our forward pressure.

Sometimes purgatory is worse than someone who never makes the grade, because they prevent the club taking dramatic action on a positional weakness. In the NFL this is known as the Andy Dalton effect (and the measure of mediocrity the dubbed the Andy Dalton Line), because he’s too good to outright cut but also never going to get you to the big dance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we've got a planwhen our salary cap opens up to attack a KPP player ooc or through free agency. Surely there's a plan. Feels like I've been saying that for 10 yrs.
I hope so, but I’ve lost faith.

That’s true but let’s not kid ourselves. Checkers found himself playing in the forward line out of necessity and was a revelation. He wasn’t recruited as a forward. Would he have been as effective playing as a relatively undersized key backman? I don’t know.

I haven’t watched Callow closely but if you look at his game numbers in isolation, he looks to have played 2 good games (his best against the worst team in the comp) and 6 very games. To say his performances have eclipsed 90% of his peers is a stretch. Because in 6 of those games (75%) I very much doubt it.

Checkers played forward at VFL level before we drafted him so it wasn’t that much of a surprise.

I’m still scratching my head that barely a team out there rates Callow?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They may rate him, just not as highly as who they’ve taken. Return lists to 44+3 and I’m sure more clubs would have been prepared to add a developing KPF.

My issue is McMahon. He hasn't shown us why he was Pick 30 material. Ginnivan so far has a more compelling case and he was in the rookie draft. I don't care if he booted four in pre-season. Pre-season is the key word. I want action from players. I think we made a grave mistake passing Callow multiple times and will regret it.

My issue is McMahon. He hasn't shown us why he was Pick 30 material. Ginnivan so far has a more compelling case and he was in the rookie draft. I don't care if he booted four in pre-season. Pre-season is the key word. I want action from players. I think we made a grave mistake passing Callow multiple times and will regret it.
He's played less than a handful of VFL games after missing all of 2020. Give it time

Did I say that? No I did not.
However I seriously doubt that you know more or a better judge than them.
Given the fact they have enormous resources at their disposal and a chance to interview players, study their form for months and sometimes years, I think we have, made some terrible choices in the past decade. You can point to the success stories and I would be inclined to say, that's the least they should be able to do. How was Shaz ever worth a top five pick? His size and lack of pace meant he was never going to meet a need. And he didn't. He now plays for Olinda and is still in his twenties.

Well then if your prediction is right we are in good company.

!6 other clubs felt exactly the same way about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back