List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a question regarding Stengle alone, really.

Nah, not really. I was really keen on Thorne. Others like Maher, Raak, Hayes, Cleary, Schlensog, Green, Briskey, and Gribble all overlooked.

Seriously---now the Football Department needs to be asked questions of.
Tyler Brown end of season shoulder reconstruction-----missed a golden chance to take another player in the mid season draft.
What’s so golden about taking another kid that we don’t necessarily rate for the sake of it?

I'm with Domus on this. I think that Dekka missed the boat when it came to a massive increase in pressure and overvalued guys with a touch of class, but who were a bit slow and lacking in intensity. It's a boat he shouldn't have missed considering we were at the fore front of manic footy.
Once again, he wasn’t slow when he was drafted. It’s not fair to say he was the same player with the same attributes after 3 knees...

I'm with Domus on this. I think that Dekka missed the boat when it came to a massive increase in pressure and overvalued guys with a touch of class, but who were a bit slow and lacking in intensity. It's a boat he shouldn't have missed considering we were at the fore front of manic footy.

Shaz’s draft highlights didn’t show a lack of pace - injuries ultimately stuffed him.
Only perfect hindsight makes Shaz a bad pick - especially given he was considered a great pick at the time.

Shaz’s draft highlights didn’t show a lack of pace - injuries ultimately stuffed him.
Only perfect hindsight makes Shaz a bad pick - especially given he was considered a great pick at the time.
Agreed lots of revisionism going on.

It's the same as saying if Swanny hadn't have had that freak career ending foot injury we would have won another flag.

Just pure speculation - or for some wishculation

He looked awesome in his draft videos, but I think he also looked a touch slow. https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/vi...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1385020060001

We rated Aish almost as highly, similar weaknesses. Murphy the same. Then you also have a heap of later picks with the same weaknesses. Hine didn't rate pace highly enough. His criteria were fantastic and he drafted fabulously until the game became more frenetic.

He looked awesome in his draft videos, but I think he also looked a touch slow. https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/vi...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1385020060001

We rated Aish almost as highly, similar weaknesses. Murphy the same. Then you also have a heap of later picks with the same weaknesses. Hine didn't rate pace highly enough. His criteria were fantastic and he drafted fabulously until the game became more frenetic.
Treloar has tremendous pace and can't hit the broad side of a barn from inside it.

Pace is nice but not necessary if you have awareness.

Nah, not really. I was really keen on Thorne. Others like Maher, Raak, Hayes, Cleary, Schlensog, Green, Briskey, and Gribble all overlooked.

In terms of the players we were linked to, then. Because Callow had already gone.

Treloar has tremendous pace and can't hit the broad side of a barn from inside it.

Pace is nice but not necessary if you have awareness.
He was doing alright at the Bulldogs with his disposal. Maybe playing an outside role allowed him to put more thought and time into his disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was doing alright at the Bulldogs with his disposal. Maybe playing an outside role allowed him to put more thought and time into his disposal.

That is his Best Postion

I'm sure, i know, we have our own examples of bad drafting.
For mine bad drafting is McC over Petracca, not great drafting is that plus Billings over Bont and wondering why we are not contending for top 4 spots are those plus Coffield over Naughton.
I know that's harsh but you get drafting right, your hunh turns into a winner or you get a bundle of luck....does it separate success from an also run!

Bianco says hi.

Short, a bit slow but all class.

Bianco says hi.

Short, a bit slow but all class.

You can have a few of your 22 a bit slow, but we've drafted a much higher percentage than the few you can have.

There's a reason why we were shocked that Bianco slipped. Shocked that Murphy slipped. Other teams weight pace higher in their recruiting criteria, so our best available are often a touch slow.

If you want to apply as much pressure as the tigers do or have players transition from defence to attack as quickly as they do, you've got to draft blokes who run better than a heap of Hines choices do.

Last edited:
You can have a few of your 22 a bit slow, but it's been a much higher percentage than the few you can have.

There's a reason why we were shocked that Bianco slipped. Shocked that Murphy slipped. Other teams weight pace higher in their recruiting criteria, so our best available are often a touch slow.

If you want to apply as much pressure as the tigers do or have players transition from defence to attack as quickly as they do, you've got to draft blokes who run better than a heap of Hines choices do.
Pace is fine but not without good disposal and having both puts the player in the top 10 of any draft - which means you have to finish outside the 8 - despite the coaching shortcomings we haven't done that often.

Pace is fine but not without good disposal and having both puts the player in the top 10 of any draft - which means you have to finish outside the 8 - despite the coaching shortcomings we haven't done that often.
Tiges got a jump on the comp because they valued pace and skill but didn't devalue a lack of height as much as other clubs did.

I think Dekka early in his career got a jump on the comp because he rated composure and clean hands more highly than other recruiters and didn't worry about athleticism as much and that suited the game for a while, but the worm has turned and he didn't turn with it.

I'm talking completely retrospectively, as I've got no idea which way footy will trend, but I think the clubs who have recruiters who correctly weight the skills that suit the game style for 5-10 years time will get a jump on the comp.

I actually rate Dekka, but I think there's a lot of luck and vision in getting your recruitment weightings right and I think he got his wrong.

Seriously---now the Football Department needs to be asked questions of.
Tyler Brown end of season shoulder reconstruction-----missed a golden chance to take another player in the mid season draft.

What a stupid take. It's the mid season draft ffs, not the national. There was hardly much on there in terms of super talent. Garbage.

This is it in a nutshell. Few too many vanilla players, who lack pace, are / were undersized, poorish kicking, and had limited scope for development. Aish being so highly rated the perfect example of this. Richmond have been much better at identifying the right type of talent for the modern game, so much so that they are forced to trade out AFL quality players every year.

Will acknowledge that we have been disadvantaged with poor picks, often after trading them away. But someone made that choice. Also think we went nice guy over clear elite decision making / mental strengths, which is evident in some of our execution, or ability to compete with high intensity teams.

Madgen > Noble > Mayne > Brown > Brown > Thomas is a sitting duck passage of play that is ripe for error, interception, or failed conversion

This is it in a nutshell. Few too many vanilla players, who lack pace, are / were undersized, poorish kicking, and had limited scope for development. Aish being so highly rated the perfect example of this. Richmond have been much better at identifying the right type of talent for the modern game, so much so that they are forced to trade out AFL quality players every year.

Will acknowledge that we have been disadvantaged with poor picks, often after trading them away. But someone made that choice. Also think we went nice guy over clear elite decision making / mental strengths, which is evident in some of our execution, or ability to compete with high intensity teams.

Madgen > Noble > Mayne > Brown > Brown > Thomas is a sitting duck passage of play that is ripe for error, interception, or failed conversion

The Team that gets it Right is the 1 that gets it's Right 1st

Remove this Banner Ad

Back