List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee footy is ordinary when ya team is no where near it and the only conversations about your team on TV or anywhere is negative
The more we cop it in the media the better. Clubs been pissing on the supporters and telling them it’s raining for months. Not an ounce of accountability, no truth, nothing. Own up to the issue. Supporters are angry because nothing been said. Clubs a joke atm. New presidents done nothing which is no surprise

The more we cop it in the media the better. Clubs been pissing on the supporters and telling them it’s raining for months. Not an ounce of accountability, no truth, nothing. Own up to the issue. Supporters are angry because nothing been said. Clubs a joke atm. New presidents done nothing which is no surprise
What do you think the new President should have done/said in the past 2 weeks...

Anything? How about owning the trade period? Acknowledging the mistakes. Taking ownership. No spin. Anything but saying we expect to play finals. It’s laughable. And he’s been there for years, not 2 weeks....
You said “New presidents done nothing”.
Only been in the job 2 weeks...not years.
Nice spin.

why are people thinking this is a golden opportunity? of the 2019 draft 4 are still playing, 4 highly rated over aged 19 year olds were taken an went on to do zero..

people are over rating the talent

I'm no expert, but there has been a global pandemic over the last 14 months that sent many states within Australia into lockdown, forcing the shutdown of underage football. The shutdown of underage football meant that some players missed crucial development time in the system and are only emerging now as elite talent.

These circumstances seem different to the very first mid-season draft in 2019, but that's just me.

Perhaps it will all get 'overblown' in the end - almost all things in football do - but from what I'm reading, and I can only go off people that analyse these things for a living, there are opportunities for some clubs to skip the queue at November's draft and pluck an elite talent.

It's been covered at length here already, but Jacob Edwards is scaling towards a top 15 pick as a 200cm ruck/fwd. There's another Sandringham ruckman named Max Heath who is projected to go in the top 30 and be among the best ruck/fwds in the draft class. Ned Moyle is another pure ruck option who, despite being 19, looks like he's 32 and ready to play AFL.

I know we have Grundy, Cameron, Cox, Lynch etc, but when you're in the position we're in (finishing in bottom four, all future picks traded away), the chance to take ANY talent that's projected as elite is golden.

Take one of these big kids if they become available, stash them away, develop them and turn them into assets - or unleash them when we've moved on from Cox, Cameron, Lynch or even Grundy.

I'm no expert, but there has been a global pandemic over the last 14 months that sent many states within Australia into lockdown, forcing the shutdown of underage football. The shutdown of underage football meant that some players missed crucial development time in the system and are only emerging now as elite talent.

These circumstances seem different to the very first mid-season draft in 2019, but that's just me.

Perhaps it will all get 'overblown' in the end - almost all things in football do - but from what I'm reading, and I can only go off people that analyse these things for a living, there are opportunities for some clubs to skip the queue at November's draft and pluck an elite talent.

It's been covered at length here already, but Jacob Edwards is scaling towards a top 15 pick as a 200cm ruck/fwd. There's another Sandringham ruckman named Max Heath who is projected to go in the top 30 and be among the best ruck/fwds in the draft class. Ned Moyle is another pure ruck option who, despite being 19, looks like he's 32 and ready to play AFL.

I know we have Grundy, Cameron, Cox, Lynch etc, but when you're in the position we're in (finishing in bottom four, all future picks traded away), the chance to take ANY talent that's projected as elite is golden.

Take one of these big kids if they become available, stash them away, develop them and turn them into assets - or unleash them when we've moved on from Cox, Cameron, Lynch or even Grundy.
Agree with the best available approach, take it in nurture it and if it doesn’t fit you have a better trade hand.

We need quality ball movers in the middle.

why are people thinking this is a golden opportunity? of the 2019 draft 4 are still playing, 4 highly rated over aged 19 year olds were taken an went on to do zero..

people are over rating the talent

Just adding to what Apex and SR have already indicated, the reduction of list sizes at the end of last year also saw the lowest number of draftees taken for many a year. There were many touted prospects overlooked. That was compounded by the lack of footy exposure for these kids leading into the draft due to CV19. It's an opportunity for clubs to give those kids an extra 6 months as either an overage player in the U18/19's or in feeder leagues to make their case and push for a mid-season draft selection. This year more than any other there could be some very good footballers available.

There's been an expectation that there would be late developers who went undrafted because they missed their final year of footy. No idea how that's playing out. There's a young ruck forward getting press, but most of the press is still focused on the same type of mature agers from the last preseason draft.

Something like 50% of all draftees come out of the NAB league and they've had limited opportunity to show their wares in 2021. Something like 3 NAB rounds completed and now a hiatus for a few weeks. I think most clubs will already have players from the ND rankings they'll be monitoring very closely as well as this season's bolters. Players like Kolar who have been injured will be the really interesting watch.

one player that can hold down a regular spot like noble would be a win
iirc we also got langdon after he missed the cut in the draft the previous year
And Phillips and Elliott And Ceglar.

Overage TAC cup kids have been Hine's most successful use of late picks.

If he's available I'm leaning to taking Edwards. Athletic, tall, with good hands and is more of forward who can ruck I think - rather than a ruckman who can rest forward (which we already have too many off).

You can never have too much talent, and if he does project as a top 10-15 pick in the ND at seasons end and we can get a crack at him earlier full power to us.

It’s pretty quiet on here with potential options for the draft, I guess the clear cut gems are not standing out as they would in the ND. This puts Hine, with his superior talent scouting skills, in a prime position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Edwards isn’t available, I hope Bailey Lambert is our primary target for the mid season draft.

Kicked another 4 as a small forward for Frankston on the weekend.

Round one: 2 goals
Round two: 5 goals
Round three: 4 goals

Granted it’s a strong Frankston team but he is exactly what we need to replace Thomas/WHE (along with Dib).

Small, speedy, natural x-factor forward who piles on the pressure. Plus fits the age profile we need.

3ED7FFBD-601F-4672-9238-4B1480C9CE6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Assuming Edwards isn’t available, I hope Bailey Lambert is our primary target for the mid season draft.

Granted it’s a strong Frankston team but he is exactly what we need to replace Thomas/WHE (along with Dib).

Small, speedy, natural x-factor forward who piles on the pressure. Plus fits the age profile we need.

View attachment 1118335
Well spotted Rusty, sounds good

View attachment 1118335
Craig Lambert’s son

If he's available I'm leaning to taking Edwards. Athletic, tall, with good hands and is more of forward who can ruck I think - rather than a ruckman who can rest forward (which we already have too many off).

You can never have too much talent, and if he does project as a top 10-15 pick in the ND at seasons end and we can get a crack at him earlier full power to us.
Sounds Good... The other tall Fox Footy and Herald Sun is linking to us is Max Heath. Last year at draft time he was recorded as 203cm and 94kms. Reports are he has grown further and put on kgs without losing any of his athleticism. Both he and Edwards have reportedly made good starts this year after missing 2020

Below is last year's draft profile. Turns 19 in October

POSITION:
Ruckman/Key Forward

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “A potential draft bolter, Heath is a strong ruckman/key forward who loves to throw his weight around, and competes well both around the ground and in the air.” – Ed Pascoe

Heath has seemingly come out of nowhere to become a genuine draft chance in 2020. Standing at an impressive 203cm, the Xavier College and Sandringham Dragons prospect wasn’t on the radar last year; playing only a single game for Sandringham and collecting a lowly four disposals, seven hit-outs, and one goal in Round 9 against Gippsland. It wasn’t much of a surprise to see him miss out on the original AFL Academy intake, but a standout performance in the pre-season against Oakleigh Chargers put him firmly in recruiters’ sights. With that brilliant display, he earned selection for the AFL Draft Combine, but the Covid situation has certainly hampered his progress this year as he would have also gotten the opportunity to be Victoria Metro’s leading ruckman, competing against the likes of Kalin Lane, Shannon Neale, Riley Thilthorpe and Henry Walsh of the other regions.

STRENGTHS:
  • Competitiveness
  • Marking
  • Tackling
  • Skills
  • Forward Impact
  • Upside
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Endurance
  • Production
The main thing that caught the eye with Heath at the start of the year was his competitiveness. Standing out like a beacon at 203cm and with the blonde hair, it was enough to catch the eye in and of itself, but his impact around the ground was really outstanding. Heath threw himself into every ruck stoppage and if he wasn’t winning the hit-out, he was following up with a crunching tackle or gathering the ball himself and throwing his weight around. He still has a lot of size to put on his frame but the way he played, you would have thought he was 100kg-plus given all the hardness and confidence he showed.

The tackling he provides is fantastic and can really help the midfield brigade. Even if he isn’t tackling, he is smart enough to use his frame to block for his midfielders. Heath’s skills for a ruckman were also impressive considering most ‘rough and tumble’ ruckman usually lack that finesse, but Heath rarely missed by hand and foot with his only big blemish a poor shot on goal. You can trust Heath in general play and around the ground to hit his targets as he also makes smart and composed decisions with the ball.

Heath is also an aerial force around the ground as he attacks the ball hard and if he isn’t taking the mark, he is at least giving a contest to get the ball to ground. He is more than capable of going forward and being a very good option, with good leading patterns when forward and a surprisingly nimble step on the lead. Given his size, he is undeniably a hard player to spoil, too. With this added confidence and size, and the fact he only just turned 18 in October, he has plenty of development and upside. He already plays stronger than his current weight and he could be a real force once he puts on another 10kg in an elite environment.

Heath’s endurance is certainly an area of improvement he will need to work on to match endurance beasts like Brodie Grundy at the next level. Modern rucks can ruck all day and although Heath can rest forward, it would be required he gets his endurance to a strong level to make him a more complete and potentially dominant ruckman. Heath didn’t set the world on fire last year with his production but he is a far improved player, despite not being able to show that improvement on a consistent basis due to the cancelled football in Victoria. It is unfortunate that he hasn’t been able to show his talent over the course of a full season, so clubs will be relying on very little game time to rate Heath against the rest of the draft crop.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late-Second to Third Round
Even with little game time this year, Heath has caught the attention of recruiters. At 203cm and with the ability to go forward, he could have really climbed up draft boards this year. There is uncertainty on Heath having only the one standout game in 2020, but his selection for the AFL Draft Combine despite that shows how highly he is rated. Clubs may want to wait another year to see how he goes but it also wouldn’t surprise to see him taken early just to back in his talent and get him on a list as quickly as possible.

Sounds Good... The other tall Fox Footy and Herald Sun is linking to us is Max Heath. Last year at draft time he was recorded as 203cm and 94kms. Reports are he has grown further and put on kgs without losing any of his athleticism. Both he and Edwards have reportedly made good starts this year after missing 2020

Below is last year's draft profile. Turns 19 in October

POSITION: Ruckman/Key Forward

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “A potential draft bolter, Heath is a strong ruckman/key forward who loves to throw his weight around, and competes well both around the ground and in the air.” – Ed Pascoe

Heath has seemingly come out of nowhere to become a genuine draft chance in 2020. Standing at an impressive 203cm, the Xavier College and Sandringham Dragons prospect wasn’t on the radar last year; playing only a single game for Sandringham and collecting a lowly four disposals, seven hit-outs, and one goal in Round 9 against Gippsland. It wasn’t much of a surprise to see him miss out on the original AFL Academy intake, but a standout performance in the pre-season against Oakleigh Chargers put him firmly in recruiters’ sights. With that brilliant display, he earned selection for the AFL Draft Combine, but the Covid situation has certainly hampered his progress this year as he would have also gotten the opportunity to be Victoria Metro’s leading ruckman, competing against the likes of Kalin Lane, Shannon Neale, Riley Thilthorpe and Henry Walsh of the other regions.

STRENGTHS:
  • Competitiveness
  • Marking
  • Tackling
  • Skills
  • Forward Impact
  • Upside
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Endurance
  • Production
The main thing that caught the eye with Heath at the start of the year was his competitiveness. Standing out like a beacon at 203cm and with the blonde hair, it was enough to catch the eye in and of itself, but his impact around the ground was really outstanding. Heath threw himself into every ruck stoppage and if he wasn’t winning the hit-out, he was following up with a crunching tackle or gathering the ball himself and throwing his weight around. He still has a lot of size to put on his frame but the way he played, you would have thought he was 100kg-plus given all the hardness and confidence he showed.

The tackling he provides is fantastic and can really help the midfield brigade. Even if he isn’t tackling, he is smart enough to use his frame to block for his midfielders. Heath’s skills for a ruckman were also impressive considering most ‘rough and tumble’ ruckman usually lack that finesse, but Heath rarely missed by hand and foot with his only big blemish a poor shot on goal. You can trust Heath in general play and around the ground to hit his targets as he also makes smart and composed decisions with the ball.

Heath is also an aerial force around the ground as he attacks the ball hard and if he isn’t taking the mark, he is at least giving a contest to get the ball to ground. He is more than capable of going forward and being a very good option, with good leading patterns when forward and a surprisingly nimble step on the lead. Given his size, he is undeniably a hard player to spoil, too. With this added confidence and size, and the fact he only just turned 18 in October, he has plenty of development and upside. He already plays stronger than his current weight and he could be a real force once he puts on another 10kg in an elite environment.

Heath’s endurance is certainly an area of improvement he will need to work on to match endurance beasts like Brodie Grundy at the next level. Modern rucks can ruck all day and although Heath can rest forward, it would be required he gets his endurance to a strong level to make him a more complete and potentially dominant ruckman. Heath didn’t set the world on fire last year with his production but he is a far improved player, despite not being able to show that improvement on a consistent basis due to the cancelled football in Victoria. It is unfortunate that he hasn’t been able to show his talent over the course of a full season, so clubs will be relying on very little game time to rate Heath against the rest of the draft crop.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late-Second to Third Round
Even with little game time this year, Heath has caught the attention of recruiters. At 203cm and with the ability to go forward, he could have really climbed up draft boards this year. There is uncertainty on Heath having only the one standout game in 2020, but his selection for the AFL Draft Combine despite that shows how highly he is rated. Clubs may want to wait another year to see how he goes but it also wouldn’t surprise to see him taken early just to back in his talent and get him on a list as quickly as possible.
He could certainly be a selection. Big youngster who seems up for the contest. Would be good to push Cox and Lynch out of the side with him

Sounds Good... The other tall Fox Footy and Herald Sun is linking to us is Max Heath. Last year at draft time he was recorded as 203cm and 94kms.
Geez if he’s 94kms tall, he might push Murphy for tallest at the club. He’d want to be good below his knees though!

even with a 94km tall ruckman we’d still lose the clearances :$
If they could bounce the ball 94km, I reckon you’d be safe to grab it and just chuck it for your centre clearance. Unless the non-officiating umpires have telescopes set up, they’ll be unsighted.

Either way, for the first time I could buy the line about “having to work on the connection with his midfielders”. You would have use radio!

Edwards is the one if we get that #1 pick. He projects as the 200cm forward who relief rucks. I think they're critical to forward structure. It'd be the Cox/Cameron role. Key forward is very much a need.

Joel Trudgeon 185cm 90kg (19yo) inside midfielder for Northern Knights might be one to look at for the mid season draft. He's a big bodied midfielder who wins a high ratio of contested ball. Doing well at NAB league level but mature by comparison. It'd be nice to know how he fares at VFL level.

Write up from Knightmare:

Big-bodied ball winning midfielder Joel Trudgeon starred for Northern in their convincing 68-point win against Gippsland. The Northern Knights captain collected 29 disposals, 17 contested possessions, five marks (two contested), eight tackles, three goals and two score assists.
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...next-nick-haynes-josh-gibcus-stars-nab-league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back