List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He was from VIC & his dad had Alzheimer’s or the like very early, when he was still at Collingwood. Pretty harrowing for the young man.

Delisted but rookied by Adelaide, not sure when his dad passed but it may have been last year. He only had 1yr with Adelaide.
Cheers mate

Just did a little research on Zavier and it looks like he was considered a top 25 selection but slid out of the draft completely, not even being able to secure a rookie spot.

What happened? Does he have off-field troubles or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did a little research on Zavier and it looks like he was considered a top 25 selection but slid out of the draft completely, not even being able to secure a rookie spot.

What happened? Does he have off-field troubles or something?

A knee complaint apparently, surgery hence missed the start of the NAB League, and they’ve had a hiatus since when he was going to line-up with the reserves.

Yeah would make sense but can anyone confirm we will take two people in the MSD with 2 ACL's now on the list?

A knee complaint apparently, surgery hence missed the start of the NAB League, and they’ve had a hiatus since when he was going to line-up with the reserves.
Injury concerns?
Welcome to Carlton son. Pull up a chair over there next to the first aid kit. Guys, scooch over. Make room for one more.

Mirkov is so raw, I can’t see him getting anywhere near AFL this year. Wouldn’t we use the MSD to strengthen our best 22?
Mirkov was smashed by experienced rucks in the Southport game.

Was really good in the game against the Bombers Lions but they didn't have a recognised ruck playing.

Would take 2 year to be AFL ready and while he will become a good tap ruck with his height and leap it will be interesting to see if he can develop game sense around the ground.

We don't have a great track record with ex volleyballers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Crocker did not succeed at Collingwood, he didn't succeed at Adelaide.... what makes people think he'll succeed with us given that we have one of the worst player development rates in the league?
Fair point. But do you think the club thinks that way?
"Nah, Teaguey. No point listing him. You know us".

Mirkov is so raw, I can’t see him getting anywhere near AFL this year. Wouldn’t we use the MSD to strengthen our best 22?

Not gonna be many players in the MSD pool who are good enough to slot straight into a new club and perform at AFL level - need to not only tick the ability box, but also be able to come in and pick up the gameplan/structures etc. incredibly quickly.

Fair point. But do you think the club thinks that way?
"Nah, Teaguey. No point listing him. You know us".

Agree the club can be blasé and outright lacking in professionalism at times, especially concerning recruitment, the lack of due diligence in the past just
diabolical. I still can’t swallow , selecting Dow before Cerra, just unfathomable.

Agree the club can be blasé and outright lacking in professionalism at times, especially concerning recruitment, the lack of due diligence in the past just
diabolical. I still can’t swallow , selecting Dow before Cerra, just unfathomable.
I can give you 40 Billion instances of Dow before Cerra.

Not gonna be many players in the MSD pool who are good enough to slot straight into a new club and perform at AFL level - need to not only tick the ability box, but also be able to come in and pick up the gameplan/structures etc. incredibly quickly.

Spot on its an opportunity perhaps to give a latent talent another opportunity at the big stage. Project players needing further development and possibly the odd gem that may just have been missed.
Agree to be contributing and synchronized into a team is a slow process.
We have recently drafted top 10 picks , 4 year players that can’t contribute in our best 22 . Certainly one should not have huge expectations.

Mirkov smashed Fullerton in the hitouts in the VFL game v Brisbane but Fullerton hurt us everywhere else on the ground.

He's pretty physically developed so not sure how much scope he has for improvement. Can't imagine he'd play AFL this year so don't see the point of picking him up if he's already on our reserves list. Not saying he won't make it but we could make a more impactful selection short and long term.

Austin has been pretty damn good though so far so who am I to question the process.

There are more talented ruckman though, at least in the broader sense of their contribution on the field. Mirkov is more likely to be a pure tap ruckman, but I see that as a hinderence unless he flips his volleyball skills into having quick hands to act as an anchor through midfield transitions.

Doesn't stand out to me athletically beyond height, so it's not like he's going to transform into the next Sandilands.

Mirkov smashed Fullerton in the hitouts in the VFL game v Brisbane but Fullerton hurt us everywhere else on the ground.

He's pretty physically developed so not sure how much scope he has for improvement. Can't imagine he'd play AFL this year so don't see the point of picking him up if he's already on our reserves list. Not saying he won't make it but we could make a more impactful selection short and long term.

Austin has been pretty damn good though so far so who am I to question the process.
This smacks of a coach asking for a very specific type and falling in love with a player too easily, ala the McGovern signing. At least it's not costing us a top 10 draft choice this time.

It all depends if we think others see something in this kid and if we dont take him now, we miss out... We all know rucks take a long long time. So at 210cm, he has a big head start, but granted if he cant do anything else apart from a hit out in current afl he will get no where, but im thinking that they might see enough and then if he does develop a little, he will have currency, either for us, or other teams wanting him later via trade... We are not going to win a premiership this year, so whoever we pick up is msd HAS to have currency and value later, so ideally picking a kid who may go in a 1st round draft, or get lucky on the next tim kelly if we somehow got lucky but the selections have to have a currency which will either break into our best 22 later, or other teams want to trade for..

Mirkov was smashed by experienced rucks in the Southport game.

Was really good in the game against the Bombers Lions but they didn't have a recognised ruck playing.

Would take 2 year to be AFL ready and while he will become a good tap ruck with his height and leap it will be interesting to see if he can develop game sense around the ground.

We don't have a great track record with ex volleyballers.
Would a waste if we were to get him now then.

Back