List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Callow is playing in the WAFL too? Wowee, the athleticism on this kid! :p

Fisher isn't really a natural small forward, nor is Martin or Durdin, but they have the smarts to make a difference off half-forward. Philp and Fogarty are midfielders who can do defensive jobs, but their place in a modern forward structure is high-half forward, otherwise in the on-ball rotation as a receive option.

These comments to me point out the contrasting views that I see unfolding: Fullarton is an ex-basketballer who is a project forward/ruck, and seems to play his best football as a roaming CHF, so there's not a lot to be read in how he'd compete against a taller opponent who learned his raw ruck craft as a volleyballer. Mirkov also blew up pretty heavily in both games, though did a decent job of recovering during the breaks.

Then you hear about all the people interviewing, and his VAFA coach's comments and wonder if there's any substance to that. It's possible that he's showing flashes and we believe if his endurance tests well and we can scale that reasonably quickly, he's an AFL prospect.

If we don't believe that, and that he's a 3 year project as a tap ruck who will provide below-average pressure away from the stoppage in his role, then we should be getting him to nominate unique terms so that he drops to our third pick.

Gold Coast are interviewing every ruck candidate under the sun, Sydney are thorough and profile prospects well for their system, while West Coast have had a limited draft hand for a few years and need to turn over their ruck stocks. They've been churning through prospects for a while now.

Hawthorn was another name mentioned, but they've moved on fairly quickly, and they have a different valuation of the worth of the ruck role.
Hawks also have Ned Reeves at 211 cm and a bit of a project ruck so it's unlikely they would take mirkov. However they are definitely looking at Ned Moyle so they may still value the ruck role with ceglar and mcevoy near to the end.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Hawks also have Ned Reeves at 211 cm and a bit of a project ruck so it's unlikely they would take mirkov. However they are definitely looking at Ned Moyle so they may still value the ruck role with ceglar and mcevoy near to the end.
Yeah, they ideally want rucks who can contribute at either end: defensively when on-ball, offensively when resting on the ground. It makes sense, because rucks are undervalued these days but can be quite versatile players, though Reeves seems to be insurance if they want to make a change there.

Bolton tried to install a similar system with us, but I honestly think it's one of Hawthorn's biggest weaknesses, it's just papered over by the smaller forward line they'd otherwise have. Bolton tried to install it while we already had a tall forward line, and low and behold, our forward pressure was terrible across four quarters.

We're still suffering that same issue to this day, though perhaps not through Champion Data's measurement of such things.

morningbrown

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I've mentioned this a few times now, but you should look at the footage and how he plays. Very smart player and he's got himself very lean with high cardiovascular fitness, but his legs are not right, and he doesn't really cover a lot of territory at a high speed (which is slow compared to the player he was as a junior).

His hamstrings are still cooked.

Yeah i get that, just think the potential reward overrides the relatively small risk.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if Freeman has come up in this thread, but the Tigers are looking at him and we should be too. Absolutely dominating the VFL.

I'm not saying he's a horrible selection full stop - but for us he's a horrible selection. We have so many players with historical injury issues that we should be steering well clear of anyone that represents a high risk of repeat issues. Take Hawthorn's kid for 4 years over Freeman.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah i get that, just think the potential reward overrides the relatively small risk.
What I'm saying is that there's not that much potential reward here. At an AFL level, he's not going to break free at stoppages enough, and he's not covering enough ground or impacting other contests.

At a slower, less physically demanding level, he's providing an anchor point for his team's transition play, but his ability to distribute the ball is not really at the grade you want for that.

Smart, diligent player, but his body is not able to do what he wants it to do, nor what it needs to do at AFL level. You can see him restraining himself in most of his movements because he can feel the hamstring tightness as he tries to accelerate. It's heartbreaking, but he's just got too much scarring and damage there now.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
isher isn't really a natural small forward, nor is Martin or Durdin, but they have the smarts to make a difference off half-forward. Philp and Fogarty are midfielders who can do defensive jobs, but their place in a modern forward structure is high-half forward, otherwise in the on-ball rotation as a receive option.
I've been saying this for years, since at least the middle of his Suns career. He has the ability to play anywhere on the ground given his skillset, but his natural position is and always has been as a midfielder. His skillset and size makes him so versatile and means he can player anywhere, and I think that's hampered his development a fair bit.

The Suns had to play him wherever they needed a gap filled, which was a lot of places. One game he'd be at half back, the next on a wing, the next back pocket, then middle, deep forward and so on and so forth. His versatility meant he never had a single position where he could grow. He was a very good utility but became a master of none. As you say, he's not a natural forward. Yes, he can play forward and kick the odd goal or 3, but it's not his natural position and it never has been. It's why he always drifts in and out of games.

I was really hoping we'd make him a mid, as he always should have been. But unfortunately (in my view) we've decided he's a forward.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I've been saying this for years, since at least the middle of his Suns career. He has the ability to play anywhere on the ground given his skillset, but his natural position is and always has been as a midfielder. His skillset and size makes him so versatile and means he can player anywhere, and I think that's hampered his development a fair bit.

The Suns had to play him wherever they needed a gap filled, which was a lot of places. One game he'd be at half back, the next on a wing, the next back pocket, then middle, deep forward and so on and so forth. His versatility meant he never had a single position where he could grow. He was a very good utility but became a master of none. As you say, he's not a natural forward. Yes, he can play forward and kick the odd goal or 3, but it's not his natural position and it never has been. It's why he always drifts in and out of games.

I was really hoping we'd make him a mid, as he always should have been. But unfortunately (in my view) we've decided he's a forward.
I don't think we've made that call just yet, I just don't think his anaerobic endurance is good enough for being a full -ime outside mid. We can get a lot out of him though.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I don't think we've made that call just yet, I just don't think his anaerobic endurance is good enough for being a full -ime outside mid. We can get a lot out of him though.
His fitness will stop him from going full time, I agree. Though I believe he's able to spend more time there than we've given him.

Why are we so deep in Mirkov? Don't we need a ready to go ruckman now if TDK & Pitt we're to go down?

Why are we so deep in Mirkov? I was wondering if Mirkov was Russian for s**t when I read that.

"Uh oh, the opposition just kicked their 5th goal in a row. We're in deep Mirkov now!"

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I'm relatively confident at least one of our picks tonight will pan out rather well. When it comes to these non-traditional avenues of signing players (non-draft/trade/free agent picks) we recently seem to have done alright.

Gibbons and Cottrell have been fantastic pickups considering how we got them. Even Deluca I think did quite well with the chance he got, he was considered unlucky to not have been extended at the time. Owies being a cat B rookie from basketball has come on well also considering his start point.

Vo Rogue

Debutant
Aug 4, 2008
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Carlton
Fullerton has played AFL and Mirkov destroyed him in the ruck (but struggled around the ground)

Not sure what immediate ruck prospect would provide over the durable Pittonet, TDK can't do a whole match on his own yet either.

I wouldn’t say Mirkov destroyed Fullarton. Looks like the other way round to me.

Attachments

• 7F490398-4AE7-4080-8C2C-8CBE544EF398.png
    7F490398-4AE7-4080-8C2C-8CBE544EF398.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 79

Vo Rogue

Debutant
Aug 4, 2008
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Carlton
I literally said in the ruck and added it was the reverse around the ground.

Fair enough. I still wouldn't say he destroyed him, especially with eight clearances, but yes you did put a disclaimer. I just personally think he is a long, long way off. Obviously the club will have a goal in mind with him, and I hope I'm proven wrong down the track. I just don't see it but.

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair enough. I still wouldn't say he destroyed him, especially with eight clearances, but yes you did put a disclaimer. I just personally think he is a long, long way off. Obviously the club will have a goal in mind with him, and I hope I'm proven wrong down the track. I just don't see it but.
Mirkov is the rawest of raw products you would see. I thought he showed glimpses in the Brisbane game in terms of tapwork but other than that was a witches hat. I think his a project player in every sense and the mid-season draft with an 18-month contract is about the right approach. I hope we err on the side of long term development generally tonight, because there's nothing available in this draft which is going to help us in 2021.

Think you can "watch" it live tonight on the AFL site/app. Probably gonna be very boring content-wise, but I've got a horse in the race and will be glued to the screen.

Correct. Coverage begins 6:30PM.

Who are you hoping to get drafted?

Back