List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll tell you who I don't want us to take instead - anyone already in our reserves squad. Serves almost no purpose whatsoever. Said player will still be playing in the ressies every week barring a catastrophic series of injuries. And said player won't be enough to right our season in the face of that catastrophic series of injuries.

Draft Wooler and our squad makeup is exactly the same as it is now.

Draft a decent prospect - raw, mature, tall, small, whatever - from anywhere else and we're adding another resource to the reserves as well as a break glass option for the seniors.

swuzzlebubble

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll tell you who I don't want us to take instead - anyone already in our reserves squad. Serves almost no purpose whatsoever. Said player will still be playing in the ressies every week barring a catastrophic series of injuries. And said player won't be enough to right our season in the face of that catastrophic series of injuries.

Draft Wooler and our squad makeup is exactly the same as it is now.

Draft a decent prospect - raw, mature, tall, small, whatever - from anywhere else and we're adding another resource to the reserves as well as a break glass option for the seniors.
Mathematically inaccurate

thebluenewdeal

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I think a 195-200cm healthy fwd is what we should get. Just tell him he’s there to back up if anything goes sour. Would prefer a fwd because they tend to be more suited to shift down back if required.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Spare rookie slot?
Pretty sure we have just one spot available - for Marchbank.

Spare rookie was taken by OMac, whilst Curnow isn't on the inactive list.
3? There was a draft article a few weeks ago that said we only have one spot available, due to Marchbank, Charlie wont be far off playing by time the draft comes around.

Do we even have a spare rookie spot.
The wording regarding the rookie list under the 2021 changes is not very clear. There's 44 list spots, including cat B, with a maximum of 2 cat B, minimum of one rookie, maximum of 6 cat A, and 36-38 on the senior list.

If we're to take that literally, then we're allowed another cat A rookie, because we have 43 players. That level of flexibility would make sense given the spirit of the changes.

My bad on Charlie, I figured he was on the inactive list.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The wording regarding the rookie list under the 2021 changes is not very clear. There's 44 list spots, including cat B, with a maximum of 2 cat B, minimum of one rookie, maximum of 6 cat A, and 36-38 on the senior list.

If we're to take that literally, then we're allowed another cat A rookie, because we have 43 players. That level of flexibility would make sense given the spirit of the changes.

My bad on Charlie, I figured he was on the inactive list.

It's 42 players (senior and Cat A) + 2 cat B to get to 44.

The maximum of 6 Cat A goes with the minimum 36 senior to get 42. The minimum 1 Cat A is if you have less than a full list.

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
There’s 4 players in metro side over 200cm, correct me if I’m wrong but the 2 who were getting spruiked aren’t part of that 4. If so that’s 6 who could be available mid season.

I’d take one of them if we rate any at our pick.

Best u23 KPF who can double up in the ruck. Stick him in the VFL for a couple of weeks and then swap him for Casboult. If Charlie McKay wants to go into the MSD... then we might have to grab him as a rookie to fill out the list. Or take Charlie with our pick for Marchbank, and grab the best available u23 KPF #2 ruckman as a cat A rookie.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Mid season draft catch a plane and go talk to Riccardi from GWS -- he can play forward or back .. no need fill spot with clogger

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Mathematically inaccurate

Please show your workings.

Here's mine:

Our current senior list is A.
Our current reserve list is B.

A=42
B=18
(Probably not exact, can't be arsed counting names)

A+B=60

If we take a player from the reserves list in the mid season draft it's:

(A+1)+(B-1)=60

If we sign a player from literally anywhere else it's:

(A+1)+(B)=61

Take a player from somewhere else and we gain a resource. Take a player from the reserves and we're just moving names around.

Back