List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know Whether this analogy stands up
If another club takes Wooler/Parsons and they get 15 to 20 possies a game at Afl level, as well as kicking a couple of goals a week.
Fueling the crystal ball Carlton supporter anger, could you imagine the catastrophe in here in that scenario.
Leading to a new thread "bring back SOS get rid of Austin sack the coach this boards useless yada yada yada".

We'll get that regardless :p

Like that time we took DeLuca instead of Dunkley Jnr. Who got more of of their selection there, us or Melbourne?

MSD is a bit of fluff. Good for a side like Gold Coast who have lost all their rucks to injury. Most clubs are going to take a project/depth player though.

That's right - the same outcome for the AFL list, but if the player we draft is from another club then we also strengthen the reserves list at the same time. Win/win.

Paf seems to get what I'm saying. Draft Wooler and yes, he can play seniors, but if he doesn't then we haven't benefited at all. Draft someone else and they can play seniors too, plus they add to our reserves.

The issue you have there is that if you do like someone from your reserves just as much as someone outside, another club might like them to. Our reserves comp is now stronger and our reserves team is fairly impressive now. It's a viable recruitment area.

If we ignore the in form players in our reserves team in an attempt to bolster them from outside, we also run the risk of weakening them if we lose the best players from that team.

Personally, I'd like to recruit from our ressies as I'd like to attract stronger players to that team every year.

I don't mind Crocker as a fwd back up option, considering the fragile nature of our mid fwds currently on the list. Has a knack of finding the goals and might respond to a last chance.
Owies kicking 2 or 3 every week in the twos then comes out and kicks 3 in the ones.
The way Crocker is going you'd have to consider him, who knows maybe it has clicked for him mentally he certainly moves well.
Look forward to watching him tomorrow.

Yup Crocker should be recruited form our reserves he’d be my choice, reward consistent performance & development, he deserves another opportunity to be an AFL starting 22 player. He loves a goal , good endeavor ,footy IQ and gumption.
He’d be my selection, unless there’s a workable Ruckman option secreted somewhere. Go Baggers

Not Crocker, Wooller or Radanovic. Crocker has been tried twice and it hasn't worked; he's strong enough and smart enough for the VFL and certainly has a bit of goalsense, but at AFL level he's not going to be able to push off the players standing him or maneuver his way around the way he usually would. Wooller plays tall, but is straight line and has a similar read to the game of Casboult without the height or hands. Radanovic looks very similar to Mason Redman, but he's not as good a kick and has real fitness concerns late in games.

Pick up someone to cover a weakness (KPP cover, or a prospective Levi replacement) or an undrafted prospect from last year with a bit of scope.

Last edited:
Why on earth would you pick a project player in the mid season draft?
Surely you pick a player that can contribute for the rest of the season in an area of weakness.
Because of the COVID compromised draft there's many undrafted VIC guys that wouldve gone in the national draft last year that are now available, cheap

Because of the COVID compromised draft there's many undrafted VIC guys that wouldve gone in the national draft last year that are now available, cheap
There's a difference between "best available" and a raw project eg athletic freak who needs to learn the game or 75kg ruckman who is years off.

Surely this logic would apply to players who may have gone reasonably high in the draft, instead of just soemwhere in the draft, in order to snare a bargain?

This would indicate a huge upside with a chance to play games in their first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll tell you who I don't want us to take instead - anyone already in our reserves squad. Serves almost no purpose whatsoever. Said player will still be playing in the ressies every week barring a catastrophic series of injuries. And said player won't be enough to right our season in the face of that catastrophic series of injuries.

Draft Wooler and our squad makeup is exactly the same as it is now.

Draft a decent prospect - raw, mature, tall, small, whatever - from anywhere else and we're adding another resource to the reserves as well as a break glass option for the seniors.

I don’t understand this line of thinking. We are drafting for the seniors and not the reserves. Woller might get snapped up in the mean time and we lose a seemingly decent chance at a good player who will also provide us coverage.

If we promote from within it makes our reserves an attractive proposition for the best second tier players, which in turn helps our development. If we see Wooler or Parsons or Stoddart as the best prospect, give them first go IMO.

So what, get them at the end of the year. We need someone who can come into the inside and have an impact. If we don't pick Crocker on the back of his performances we are a joke.

Not Crocker, Wooller or Radanovic. Crocker has been tried twice and it hasn't worked; he's strong enough and smart enough for the VFL and certainly has a bit of goalsense, but at AFL level he's not going to be able to push of the players standing him or maneuver his way around the way he usually would. Wooller plays tall, but is straight line and has a similar read to the game of Casboult without the height or hands. Radanovic looks very similar to Mason Redman, but he's not as good a kick and has real fitness concerns late in games.

Pick up someone to cover a weakness (KPP cover, or a prospective Levi replacement) or an undrafted prospect from last year with a bit of scope.

Disagree , I think it has clicked for Crocker and he is def strong enough to compete with AFL listed players. He is very quick, would likely be our quickest forward. Would be a point of difference in our forward line.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Crocker, Wooller or Parsons would be my preference.

I like the idea of targetting prospective players for VFL and rewarding form.

Holy hell the frame rate on this video is a joke. Someone teach these guys encoder settings.

There's a difference between "best available" and a raw project eg athletic freak who needs to learn the game or 75kg ruckman who is years off.
There's a decent chance a first or second round prospect is available to us through this mechanism. You don't throw that away with our injury list as it stands.

By the time this draft rolls around, Kemp, Martin, TDK, Durdin, Williamson, Ramsay, and Setterfield should be challenging for selection, with Charlie about to resume in the VFL.

Disagree , I think it has clicked for Crocker and he is def strong enough to compete with AFL listed players. He is very quick, would likely be our quickest forward. Would be a point of difference in our forward line.

He still has a limited tank.

That might be begging the question that he'll be the best available player. It also wreaks of fearing someone else will take him. I wouldn't complain if we drafted him but I wouldn't be letting possessiveness influence our decision. He's a smart enough player and has a big tank for a tall but there's a chance he lacks the power and explosiveness for the AFL.

Well I don’t know if he’s the best available player, but if he is pick him.

Would be a bit stupid if we got someone else who isn’t as good who was available for AFL though.

What about nathan freeman from the Frankston dolphins in the VFL absolutely dominating all over the ground so far this season!

What about nathan freeman from the Frankston dolphins in the VFL absolutely dominating all over the ground so far this season!

I always thought we needed to recruit more players with long injury histories.... :p

The problem isn't just his physical attributes, it's the fact that he uses his power to beat players who are smaller, and his agility to beat players who are bigger. At AFL level, you have players who are as agile of not more, with a better game read and who are more powerful, as well as taller. He's not like Membrey, Mihocek, or Gov at Adelaide, who are exceptional overhead and better than reliable shots; he isn't as strong overhead but he plays as a full forward.

He's not tall enough to play tall; he's not fast or agile enough to play small. He doesn't draw the ball or provide crazy forward pressure. He needs supply or at least the ball in his vicinity for the game to be on his terms, and he's not going to get that unless he gets clear, which is not something that's going to happen because of his physical attributes.

Last edited:
Back