List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Why on earth would you pick a project player in the mid season draft?
Surely you pick a player that can contribute for the rest of the season in an area of weakness.
Because this year is the post-covid year.

There was no victorian U18's last year, so an awful lot of 18 year olds who've turned 19 in the interim went undrafted because clubs didn't want to take the risk on an underage year's form.

There's a real opportunity this year to pinch a bloke who'd go second or late first round on the cheap, if you're watching them play.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
He's not tall enough to play tall; he's not fast or agile enough to play small. He doesn't draw the ball or provide crazy forward pressure. He needs supply or at least the ball in his vicinity for the game to be on his terms, and he's not going to get that unless he gets clear, which is not something that's going to happen because of his physical attributes.

Coildnt agree more, he's listed the same height as Sam Docherty fwiw.

If we recruit him it's not to play FF, as much as we all miss Brad Pearce (same height too)

Any news on Henry Walsh? Was hoping he might be worth picking up in the msd if showing something

There was talk he’d be playing with the Falcons this year as an overage player, but I’m not sure he even made their squad.

I read that he was thinking of taking time away from the game, but maybe he’s playing locally down there.

It was a nice fantasy by some to reunite the brothers, but Henry was a mile off it.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
There was talk he’d be playing with the Falcons this year as an overage player, but I’m not sure he even made their squad.

I read that he was thinking of taking time away from the game, but maybe he’s playing locally down there.

It was a nice fantasy by some to reunite the brothers, but Henry was a mile off it.
Damn that’s a shame, just the heart, effort, intelligence that Sam shows, was hoping his brother was brewed similarly & also I do like the romance of it all too.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
There's a decent chance a first or second round prospect is available to us through this mechanism. You don't throw that away with our injury list as it stands.

By the time this draft rolls around, Kemp, Martin, TDK, Durdin, Williamson, Ramsay, and Setterfield should be challenging for selection, with Charlie about to resume in the VFL.
Great point.

Also, as it currently stands, we don't have a 3rd round pick in this year's ND, so there's an opportunity to pick up a possible 1st/2nd round pick at the 'expense' of a 3rd round selection.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Would we consider Nathan Freeman?
Getting possessions for fun for the Dolphins.

Is it the state league drop (Nick Graham factor) or potential AFL grade midfielder in waiting?

Would have concerns with the hammy’s with the increased loads to AFL training + intensity. 26yo this year (2013 draft).

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it the state league drop (Nick Graham factor) or potential AFL grade midfielder in waiting?

Would have concerns with the hammy’s with the increased loads to AFL training + intensity. 26yo this year (2013 draft).

Think this is a really good point. Could he cope with the extra running demands without breaking down.

If so, our needs aren’t for a guy to play inside midfielder but more outside on a wing or flank.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

al sleiman

Debutant
Apr 17, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Charlie McKay 187!mid
Tom Silvagni 187 mid
Akuei 192 mid all are progressing nicely and McKenzie Hogg has being average 2 goals a game as a small forward
Dane Whitnall 195 Backman to consider all in if this crop is as good as 2015 mob, where be set in midfield for the next 10-15 years because there heart mind soul players, all they need is beliefs. Mid season draft should really go for the best tallest mobile running swing man, a Nick Cox type who we would of picked up if Essendon didn’t waver on re-recruiting SaaD in pre-season draft

no fate

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Would we consider Nathan Freeman?
Getting possessions for fun for the Dolphins.
Not a chance. Club learns slowly yes, but surely learned lately that players who have multiple years torched by injury seldom come back at the same level, and more often continue to suffer from ongoing injury curse. We don't need another midfielder either, unless they are a proven A grader. Let another club take that risk if they want to, unlikely I would have thought.

Disagree , I think it has clicked for Crocker and he is def strong enough to compete with AFL listed players. He is very quick, would likely be our quickest forward. Would be a point of difference in our forward line.

Sort of De Goey lite in a way. 188cms so not small, decent build, doesn't mind the physicality. 24 years old. Has he got better? Can't blame him for anything he did at Adelaide during shortened quarters. They hardly scored.

I'd pick up Stefan Radovanovic. 192cm and very quick. Can play midfield as evidence by his 2018 season with the Western Jets when he won their B&F.

Had some great phantom draft write-ups.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
You could lead like Dunstall, but unless Jarman is kicking it to you, it don’t mean sh*t....unfortunately
our ressies are able to pass to him and he has kicked a few goals that way so cant see why our senior players cant do it. when leads are on it would make the decision making for the player looking for a pass a lot easier. i dont think our forwards do enough leading.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd pick up Stefan Radovanovic. 192cm and very quick. Can play midfield as evidence by his 2018 season with the Western Jets when he won their B&F.

Had some great phantom draft write-ups.
I think we give him a year in our system, see if we can't improve that tank some. He looks likely as a running defender/midfielder, loves a tackle and is strong overhead whilst competing very well on the ground. He's a bit classy with ball in hand, too.

My concern with him is purely his ability to run out a game. If he's struggling at VFL level, how's he going to go at the tail end of a grueling slog at the G against Richmond?

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I think we give him a year in our system, see if we can't improve that tank some. He looks likely as a running defender/midfielder, loves a tackle and is strong overhead whilst competing very well on the ground. He's a bit classy with ball in hand, too.

My concern with him is purely his ability to run out a game. If he's struggling at VFL level, how's he going to go at the tail end of a grueling slog at the G against Richmond?
Played a good last qtr yesterday, named BOG again.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Toby Wooller has impressed me
195cm CHF and 22 years old

Could he pinch hit in the ruck and play the Cas role ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBH, I haven't seen him do anything in the VFL to suggest he's up to AFL standard.

He kicked 3 goals I think a week or two back, but that was at the end of good work from others. Doesn't really impose himself on a game. I'm hoping we're looking at all state leagues around the country, not just VFL.

There's a kid named Michael Mallard in the WAFL that's not doing his chances any harm.....still only 19yo.

1620644424934.png

Jacob Edwards and Max Heath also potentially available. Plenty of options.

Back