List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
Much as Mirkov will be good for the future, we need someone for the now. If Casboult goes down, what do we do, run 2 ruck men? It’s one of the reasons I’m interested in Joel Ottavi. 200cm 25 yo forward/ruck. Kicked 22 in 2019 and has kicked 9.9 so far this season. Moves well, good strong hands. A good tap ruckman as well.

Mirkov smashed Fullerton in the hitouts in the VFL game v Brisbane but Fullerton hurt us everywhere else on the ground.

He's pretty physically developed so not sure how much scope he has for improvement. Can't imagine he'd play AFL this year so don't see the point of picking him up if he's already on our reserves list. Not saying he won't make it but we could make a more impactful selection short and long term.

Austin has been pretty damn good though so far so who am I to question the process.
You'll question the process and like it.

Koutamightafides

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Much as Mirkov will be good for the future, we need someone for the now. If Casboult goes down, what do we do, run 2 ruck men? It’s one of the reasons I’m interested in Joel Ottavi. 200cm 25 yo forward/ruck. Kicked 22 in 2019 and has kicked 9.9 so far this season. Moves well, good strong hands. A good tap ruckman as well.

Reckon I seen him play a few years ago at Buninyong , if it's the same bloke he goes alright .

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I would actually prefer us to go after a mature aged hard running mid with good decision making this msd. Is there anyone out there that matches that description? If not, then we should go after Stengel and put fish back into the midfield when he gets back.

Why go after a mid? To play them forward pocket?

Have plenty who need midfield exposure as is.

Reckon I seen him play a few years ago at Buninyong , if it's the same bloke he goes alright .
The only knock against him I might have is his kicking for goal. He should be way ahead of where he is now. At 25 and 200cm, he should be a dominant forward in the VFL, but he only kicked 9.9 before the VFL bye. That puts him into early Casboult times. Still... get the kid in, have a quite word in Sav's shell like and see if he can help him with his kicking.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The only knock against him I might have is his kicking for goal. He should be way ahead of where he is now. At 25 and 200cm, he should be a dominant forward in the VFL, but he only kicked 9.9 before the VFL bye. That puts him into early Casboult times. Still... get the kid in, have a quite word in Sav's shell like and see if he can help him with his kicking.

Could easily be that Gold Coast have plans to take him first. All well and good for us to want "the best" forward/ruck option, but there's a club below us on the ladder who need one even more.

PezzDogg95

Debutant
Aug 28, 2013
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
The Mirkov rumour is very interesting to me, I feel as if he isn't quite the player type we need.

I definitely agree we need a young ruck on the list developing, but would have strong preference to a kpf/ruck as opposed to a 210cm pure ruckman.

With de Koning and Pittonet we should have the primary ruck position covered every week, the MSD selection can be the break glass 3rd option for #1, but should be more an option for the kpf/ruck position, which will likely be vacated this offseason.

TdK and Pitto struggled in the same side last year, both need 75%+ of their time to be in the ruck, as they are largely ineffectual up forward. I don't see how adding another young pure ruckman helps this scenario, as both TdK and Pitto will be preferenced for the #1 role.

#2 ruck/kpf role will be wide open next season, as Casboult will likely be gone and there is nobody behind him at the moment anyway. There seem to be a few of these types around in the draft.

I would also chase Callum Coleman-Jones from Richmond for the #2 ruck/kpf role in the seniors this offseason - kicked 5 goals in the VFL on the weekend. Drafted at #20 in 2017 (before TdK).

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Purely on needs I'd be going for:

1. Ruckman - TDK has injury issues and I can see him as taking Casboult's role as a fwd/ruck over a pure ruck. Pittonet is nowhere near it for me.
2. KPD - Funnily enough we gave up Goddard, BSOS and McCreadie in one year and have no KPD depth.
3. Small Forward - I like the idea of Stengle and a replacement for Betts. But we do have some depth here.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues

9.9 is too accurate to be the casboult replacement

chipzac

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Why go after a mid? To play them forward pocket?

Have plenty who need midfield exposure as is.

We play them as a forward Pocket? That's ridiculous! We usually play mids at HBF.
So you're saying is, we should be playing mids as mids? Is that what you're suggesting?
Oddball ideas like that won't get you far at this club.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Crocker is a talented player, no doubt. Not blessed with any defensive attributes and would rather take a low percentage ping at the goals than seek out a team mate in better position. Stay at home type sure to kick goals at the lower level and may have a day out at AFL level if given the chance. Would draw parallels with Alex Sexton from the Suns. Hits the scoreboard regularly when gets games but regularly left out because of his inadequacies.

It is a firm no from me in our team dynamic.
Your points would be my concern. But so far as team dynamics he's pretty good at marking overhead and working his opponent under the ball.

Our tendency to bomb it long on the rebound may suit him one out - we don't have a medium forward capable of out marking their opponents.

If his ability translated to senior footy, it would suit our style to park him inside 50 all game.

Mondyboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Mirkov was smashed by experienced rucks in the Southport game.

Was really good in the game against the Bombers Lions but they didn't have a recognised ruck playing.

Would take 2 year to be AFL ready and while he will become a good tap ruck with his height and leap it will be interesting to see if he can develop game sense around the ground.

We don't have a great track record with ex volleyballers.

Yep, he’s made of balsa wood. Was knocked around easily in the Southport.

Also, is he injured, because against the Bullies we used Ed Delaney?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Perfect replacement for Liam Jones who is now getting on a bit in age...From Chris DOERRE's mid-season draft rated No 8. Tall defender, 199cm,

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...htmare-mid-season-draft-top-10-power-rankings
8. Blake Schlensog
Formerly Geelong listed as a Next-Generation Academy player and Category B rookie, Schlensog was arguably let go too soon. Developing rapidly not only in his time with Geelong, Schlensog has taken meaningful strides in the WAFL this year. Averaging 19 disposals and eight marks per game so far, the 199 centimetre Schlensog is a competitive key defender who not only beats his direct opponent, uses the ball cleanly, displays good mobility but also reads the game well and intercepts to a high level. Outside the AFL, Schlensog may be the best key defender, and with his rate of improvement and well-rounded game, he is hard to go past for a club in need of someone who can contribute now, but also provide a long-term option.

Last edited:

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Perfect replacement for Liam Jones who is now getting on a bit in age...From Chris DOERRE's mid-season draft rated No 8. Tall defender, 199cm,

8. Blake Schlensog
Formerly Geelong listed as a Next-Generation Academy player and Category B rookie, Schlensog was arguably let go too soon. Developing rapidly not only in his time with Geelong, Schlensog has taken meaningful strides in the WAFL this year. Averaging 19 disposals and eight marks per game so far, the 199 centimetre Schlensog is a competitive key defender who not only beats his direct opponent, uses the ball cleanly, displays good mobility but also reads the game well and intercepts to a high level. Outside the AFL, Schlensog may be the best key defender, and with his rate of improvement and well-rounded game, he is hard to go past for a club in need of someone who can contribute now, but also provide a long-term option.

Interesting you say that. I was listening to a WAFL show & he was mentioned along with Corey Gault (ex-Collingwood) as the likely 2 pickups from the WAFL comp by 2 of the scribes.

Just couldn’t understand who they were talking about until I saw the name written down - thank you.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
FYI just scouting Draft Board and discussion involving Two Planks and eDPS re Henry Walsh.
Elected to play senior football in GFL competition, rather than underage for Geelong Falcons. Twice BOG in first 4 games in what they call a very strong competition. They are debating if Geelong is hiding him as per our previous conversation Jeremias

Back