Draft Review 2021 - Mid-Season Draft

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will be interested to see if 2021 MSD is an anomaly with top end talent like Edwards slipping through the 2020 ND due to COVID.

Will be fascinated to see if it happens again next year.

Hey guys, does anyone have a complete list of who was put on the inactive list before this draft? Lore, your'e pretty good at this stuff
No idea, best bet is the draft board’s MSD thread. Or cal twomey on the AFL site

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Will be interested to see if 2021 MSD is an anomaly with top end talent like Edwards slipping through the 2020 ND due to COVID.

Will be fascinated to see if it happens again next year.
Kangas need a win at the moment but long term I wouldn't want to see the MSD become the place where elite juniors are taken before the NSD.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Kangas need a win at the moment but long term I wouldn't want to see the MSD become the place where elite juniors are taken before the NSD.

I think you're right but it's luck really, Edwards was technically passed over by the whole league in two drafts (ND and Rookie) prior. It's why we specifically kept a pick open (and other clubs too), the Vic kids were sure to reveal one or two that were behind just through lack of exposure in 2020. I can't see it ever happening again.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you're right but it's luck really, Edwards was technically passed over by the whole league in two drafts (ND and Rookie) prior. It's why we specifically kept a pick open (and other clubs too), the Vic kids were sure to reveal one or two that were behind just through lack of exposure in 2020. I can't see it ever happening again.

It’s more likely than you think. Over age players have come from the clouds to be first round picks before.

Look at guys Issac Smith and Tim English in recent years

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
It’s more likely than you think. Over age players have come from the clouds to be first round picks before.

Sure, but they still need to be passed over in a draft prior. When that happens, it's just opportunist.

Unless I have that wrong and overagers go straight in?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

They are not exactly common though, you have to back a decade for Smith.

Think it is good for the league if it happens. More talent coming in to the league and more ready made players coming in and having an impact for bottom teams speeding up the rebuilding process.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
They are not exactly common though, you have to back a decade for Smith.

Think it is good for the league if it happens. More talent coming in to the league and more ready made players coming in and having an impact for bottom teams speeding up the rebuilding process.

Yeah but I doubt I’ve captured all of them those were just off the top of my head. Not to mention the post I was responding to said it would never happen again so twice in 10 years is a lot more than never.

Rory Lobb and Tim Kelly are other examples of early second round picks that would have been available in the mid season draft.

Sure, but they still need to be passed over in a draft prior. When that happens, it's just opportunist.

Unless I have that wrong and overagers go straight in?

It does seem a bit of a grey area considering the Blues got an exemption to draft Mirkov who didn’t nominate.

Overall I think it’s likely that pick 1 in the mid season draft is going to be worth on average around a late second round/early third round pick.

Other than the 4 players I’ve already mentioned there’s guys Bailey Fritsch, Liam Ryan and Sam Collins who’d all be very beneficial players to a rebuilding side.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Not sure if Tim English really counts here given he missed out on the 2015 draft due to a technicality, rather than actually being overlooked by recruiters.

Back