MRP / Trib. 2021 MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go again. From the AFL website. The O’ Meara incident was assessed:

Contact between Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara and the Sydney Swans’ Will Hayward from the second quarter of Friday’s match between the Sydney Swans and Hawthorn was assessed. The ball is loose. O’Meara and Hayward approach the ball from opposing directions and high contact is made by O’Meara on Hayward. It was the view of the MRO that O’Meara was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

Sigh 😔

Contact between Carlton's Lachie Plowman and the Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara from the fourth quarter of Sunday’s match between the Carlton Blues and Hawthorn was assessed. The ball is loose. O’Meara and Plowman approach the ball from opposing directions and high contact is made by Plowman on O’Meara. It was the view of the MRO that Plowman was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

Ben King and Tex Walkers blatant elbows to players back of heads - no problem.
Whatever happened to the ZWilliams potential to do damage multiplier he copped in the preseason?

Surely they both deserve a week or is it ok to elbow someone in The head during a marking contest. Sure as hell not trying to spoil the ball?

I am absolutely floored! Just watched a update on kayo RE: reviewable offences from this round. * a duck!!!! Plow gets 2 and these clowns are saying that it’s ok to take your eyes off the ball and elbow or punch guys in the back of the head. What the absolute * is going on? Hunter Clark had his jaw broken and that’s somehow ok? Madness.
I have zero idea of how or why this system is not dismantled due to its obvious and utter lack of logic!

Whatever happened to the ZWilliams potential to do damage multiplier he copped in the preseason?

Surely they both deserve a week or is it ok to elbow someone in The head during a marking contest. Sure as hell not trying to spoil the ball?

I have total disdain for the whole system - rapidly coming to an end with my interest in AFL tbh.

Wow Kingy, of all people you could think of trying to take out heavy contact from the game, I never thought it would be him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SHocking referred the David Mackay incident straight to the tribunal ...

E30pXpUVcAAyTTR

Harbrow one was a joke, but since letting Cotchin off in 2017 the AFL seem to allow players to pretend they’re going for the ball while they barrel some bloke over.
That Cotchin so called "fair bump" was political because he had been fined twice before and in those days 3 fines meant a week off, and so they threw any possible charge out because one of the G.F. captains would have been missing from the big dance otherwise!!! His only intention was to iron out Dylan Shiel, as he used his shoulder as a battering ram & dropped his hands down as if he was going for the ball as an afterthought. Should have copped 3 weeks for that effort, the bloody sniper!!! When Fyffe got done for a bump once the AFL said that because he chose to bump and caused an injury that he had to go, so why don`t they just stick with that because chopping & changing & playing favourites does not make for a fair system at all. I thought McKay did barrel into Clark actually!!!

Last edited:
Here we go again. From the AFL website. The O’ Meara incident was assessed:

Contact between Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara and the Sydney Swans’ Will Hayward from the second quarter of Friday’s match between the Sydney Swans and Hawthorn was assessed. The ball is loose. O’Meara and Hayward approach the ball from opposing directions and high contact is made by O’Meara on Hayward. It was the view of the MRO that O’Meara was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

Sigh 😔
F me!
So angry!
AFL is a bloody circus
But we already knew this. 😠

Just watching On the couch, I feel like I’m in some bizzaro world, the panel all seem to agree McKay should get off, Gerard, highlights that McKay is going for the ball up until the last seconds which he then protects himself and collects Clark.

This is how the Plowman incident panned out, yet if I recall, Gerard was one pushing for Plowman to be suspended.

The AFLs flip flopping from week to week to what constitutes a suspension is one thing, but how are media commentators views, polar opposites on very similar incidents?

Just watching On the couch, I feel like I’m in some bizzaro world, the panel all seem to agree McKay should get off, Gerard, highlights that McKay is going for the ball up until the last seconds which he then protects himself and collects Clark.

This is how the Plowman incident panned out, yet if I recall, Gerard was one pushing for Plowman to be suspended.

The AFLs flip flopping from week to week to what constitutes a suspension is one thing, but how are media commentators views, polar opposites on very similar incidents?
One does not bite the hand that feeds.

Pathetic from the AFL.

The MRP/Tribunal is supposed to act as an independent body, and Gil, Hocking or anyone else at City Hall should not make any publ8c comments about incidents such as Mackay on Clark.

I’d say they are obsessed with wanting to let the public know they are right and why they are right.

As for “publ8c”, do you have “enable key flicks” enabled on your device? Does my ******* head in. :p

What is the point of the media if they are little more than unofficial spokespersons for the league?
There's an implied assumption behind your question: what is the point of the media to us if they are little more than unofficial spokespersons for the league?

The media exist to a) satisfy the demand for AFL content on talkback, internet and television, to keep fans engaged b) to create and cultivate the narratives the AFL wants to predominate, and to diminish and deride the narratives they don't, and c) to ensure no other sport takes a hold in footy markets. Simply by being the only voice that is allowed to speak do they bar soccer (for example) from playing a more predominant role in Victoria.

You might notice that none of these is really for us outside of the first one, but we don't seem to care what we consume about football as long as it's about football. We're desperate for any coverage, good or bad. We're willing to subject ourselves to more ads than content (see Ch7, SEN, AFL360), we're willing to watch people we hate (the various football shows designed for their 'hot takes'; Footy Classified). We don't care what we consume, so merely filling the need for coverage is enough.

The AFL determine what is spoken about, and what is acknowledged or silenced. I do not know why people are surprised or outraged by it any more; they are a corporate entity, and have been for a long time. Corporate entities don't generally have external PR, but most corporations don't have the emotional/tradition connection to their consumers, either.

Your choices are to watch the game and to support it, or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back