MRP / Trib. 2021 MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

If 2 players contest the ball ie the plow and mckay incidents, it's becoming pretty clear your only option is to lay down after contact until you ensure the other guy is OK. If there's a chance he's concussed, stay the * down and pretend you are too. Keep your weeks off to 1 for concussion protocol as it's going to be worse if you get up.

*Above advice obviously does not apply to buddy and his ilk.

That’s the opposite of what is happening though, they are saying McKay should get off, the AFL is pushing for a 3 match plus ban.
Ah, but don't you see it? The rise and fall of the conflict, the resolution; the villains and the good guys, but interchanged and interchangeable?

This is theatre.

Ah, but don't you see it? The rise and fall of the conflict, the resolution; the villains and the good guys, but interchanged and interchangeable?

This is theatre.

Andrew Demetriou was a Greek tragedy.

Pretty sure...

Andrew Demetriou was a Greek tragedy.

Pretty sure...
Considering how much the AFL rely on face recognition and nostalgia, I was thinking Italian pantomime, commedia dell'arte.

Given the proliferation of people with caricaturable noses in our sport, I'll let you decide who's Pantalone.

That’s the opposite of what is happening though, they are saying McKay should get off, the AFL is pushing for a 3 match plus ban.

The AFL was late to the party though - immediate reaction was "that's just bad luck and good footy" and the media rolled with it, the MRO obviously had no idea what he was supposed to do and no inclination to risk a grading so he handballed it straight to the tribunal, and the AFL have since come out and said said they'll argue for 3 weeks.

Just watching On the couch, I feel like I’m in some bizzaro world, the panel all seem to agree McKay should get off, Gerard, highlights that McKay is going for the ball up until the last seconds which he then protects himself and collects Clark.

This is how the Plowman incident panned out, yet if I recall, Gerard was one pushing for Plowman to be suspended.

The AFLs flip flopping from week to week to what constitutes a suspension is one thing, but how are media commentators views, polar opposites on very similar incidents?
Many egregious were sacrificed that day by Whateley the fool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WARNING: I know it looks like Robbo but its a much more eloquent (and probably sober) bloke in the Chief

I think Dunstall hits the nail on the head in this. I just don't know what the alternative is here, are we going to measure the distance two players have come in from to determine that one should've slowed up and tackled the other guy because he was coming from further out? Is Mackay supposed to turn to the other direction and potentially risk a head knock between both of them?

I am all for the protection of the head, but the nature of the sport means there will always be some incidental contact and I think this is one of these situations

One of the most ironic things in this Mackay/Clark Saga is many Crows fans have wanted DM gone from their team for years, being a textbook scapegoat, now all of a sudden he is some kind of Bambi's mother Martyr figure.

Btw don't think Mackay should be suspended for what clearly was an unfortunate accident but it does show how weird some Crows fans are.

The media in their haste sought blood from the Plowman incident. They were too short sighted to realise their campaign would be for the long term detriment to the game. Reap what you sow you. The AFL were encouraged by their band of brothers and will now change the fabric of the game we once knew.
The media are just as responsible for the state we are in, maybe more so than the stupid bastards up in AFL house.

Gil is more like a comedy of errors.

Gil one of those movies where the production company constantly interferes.

The movie is changed and compromised so many times that there is no consistency and everyone is pining for the original/director's cut....

Anyone else a bit suspicious that this tribunal hearing has been left til so late in the week?

I know there was a public holiday in there, but don't these hearings normally happen on a Tuesday? Seems the AFL have elected to park this one as long as possible, let the fire burn down, and now whatever decision is reached will be sharing air time with the team selection for this round, and will effectively die tomorrow when the match commentary begins.

It is a tough one. I kind of think the MRO got this one right.

Its different from the Plowman one. In the Plowman one, the ball is coming from a direction and both players are attacking the intersection point of players and ball at speed. Their awareness of the opposing players wouldnt be there until the last moment.

In the Mackay one, the ball ,while not stationary, is within a small area and not moving much, and Mackay would be aware of the St Kilda player from a fair way out. If he made a realistic attempt to collect the ball and then hit the saints player, then no probs, but I dont think he ever makes that attempt.

It is a tough one. I kind of think the MRO got this one right.

Its different from the Plowman one. In the Plowman one, the ball is coming from a direction and both players are attacking the intersection point of players and ball at speed. Their awareness of the opposing players wouldnt be there until the last moment.

In the Mackay one, the ball ,while not stationary, is within a small area and not moving much, and Mackay would be aware of the St Kilda player from a fair way out. If he made a realistic attempt to collect the ball and then hit the saints player, then no probs, but I dont think he ever makes that attempt.
But the MRO didn't make a decision on the Mackay one. He just sent it on ungraded to the tribunal. Primarily as there is no current rule that deals with it
As such it pretty much has to be thrown out and rules rewritten for next year. If he gets suspended then they should win on appeal. Simply because there is no rule that says that this was illegal.

You can almost guarantee that hocking will change the rules to ensure that it is in the future.

And don't get me started on Robbo and his "weaponising" commentary. There needs to be a concerted effort to get rid of this buffoon. It is an embarrassment that someone with his lack of intelligence and empathy for the game has a platform that allows his voice to carry any weight at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back