MRP / Trib. 2021 MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Well of course, but a punch to the head is a punch to the head. I don't think injury to the receiver or transgressor needs to be factored in this instance. You wanna punch someone, take up boxing.

Sure. I'm just arguing that the impact will be low based off the fact that the Bombers player didn't flinch, not medium based off the fact that Heeney broke his hand on the guy's head.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It took an awkward bounce. You can clearly see him with eyes on the ball and reaching for it.
I've just had another look and he doesn't really run past it. They both collide pretty much at the spot where the ball lands.
Harbrow goes in with the bump. No attempt for the ball.

Sure. I'm just arguing that the impact will be low based off the fact that the Bombers player didn't flinch, not medium based off the fact that Heeney broke his hand on the guy's head.

Will be hard to beat post for genuinely clever and seriously funny. :thumbsu:

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Jarrod Harbrow not cited for that high bump on Gibbons but...

Harbrow one was the correct call

Cunnington was late but not head high, should not be a week, I would appeal it

Heeney should get 4 weeks for throwing a punch, couldn't give a * what the impact was, need to stamp out those acts

Last edited:
I'm in two minds on the Harbrow incident with Gibbons. I can make a case for him turning his body to brace for impact while trying to gather the ball at the same time.

The test is always how you'd feel if it were one of your own players. I'd be a little miffed because I'm not sure it is a bump so much as a turn and brace with the ball in the area.

I see where some people want Hawkins suspended for an errant elbow on May as well. Complete accident. I mean, this is still a contact sport right?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm in two minds on the Harbrow incident with Gibbons. I can make a case for him turning his body to brace for impact while trying to gather the ball at the same time.

The test is always how you'd feel if it were one of your own players. I'd be a little miffed because I'm not sure it is a bump so much as a turn and brace with the ball in the area.

I see where some people want Hawkins suspended for an errant elbow on May as well. Complete accident. I mean, this is still a contact sport right?

The Harbrow/Gibbons clash is what I still love about the game, one or both players could have snapped a collarbone, wouldn't of changed my opinion as to a likely suspension

Hawkins was a complete accident

We saw Ed almost get taken out with a head high bump while collecting the ball during the game against Freo. If Ed hadn't been turning when he got collected, he would have been out like a light. Then again this week, we see Harbrow go in on Gibbons and take him out head high.

We saw one of our guys banned for a week for a lower impact bump than Ed and Gibbo both copped... but the people who bumped their heads walked away with the comments "oh, it's just the game!".

While I'm at it, I was half expecting Ed to get banned for 2 weeks for touching the umpire at one of the centre bounces. Now that would be harsh.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Harbrow one was the correct call

Cunnington was late but not head high, should not be a week, I would appeal it

Heeney should get 4 weeks for throwing a punch, couldn't give a fu** what the impact was, need to stamp out those acts
Cunnington was kind of in the same vein as Danger and ZWilliams. Certainly not as bad as Danger and probably not as bad as Zac, between a fine and a week.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC

I'd be extremely disappointed if Gibbons got done for the same bump on Harbrow.
As for Hawkins, I'm 100% convinced that he knew what he was doing. Has form. Was a very odd flailing of the arm. I don't think he intended the extent of the contact/damage, but I think the contact itself was very intentional.

djw1952

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
mentone
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
liverpool
Nothing in the Harbrow one IMO.
Both going for the ball. Harbrow stayed on the ground, kept the shoulder low and elbow tucked in. Was just a bit more aware of the contact that was coming. Looked vicious and glad Gibbo seems ok, but literally just two players going hard for the ball.
Completely disagree.......take a look at Harbrow as he takes his eyes off the ball and lines Gibbons up, and angles his body so that his shoulder connects with his jaw/head!!! The ball bounced in between them and then bounced sideways towards Gibbons, but only one player has his focus on the ball after that and the other has the intention of lining up an opponent, and Gibbons is not bracing for a bump at all, because he is going for the ball............the "on the couch" blokes stated the same thing, in that only one guy is going for the ball, and also said it was much worse than the Cunnington bump!!! Watch the replay in slow-mo and you can see Harbrow is almost doing a Dangerfield by choosing to bump Gibbons with his shoulder.........another joke from the chook lotto mob at the AFL!!!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Did heeney really not get cited for his relatively unprovoked hit off the ball?

Was told be a swans employee he was a flog no one liked much lol. Kinda shines through with that act a bit. Still, can't believe there's even an afl media article which does its best to protect him whilst reporting the injury.

djw1952

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
mentone
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
liverpool
The Harbow/Gibbons collision was more or less what Dangerfield tried convincing us his bump was.. an incidental clash involving two players competing for the ball.
Nothing in it.
Even if you don`t agree with my comments........ what about the so called AFL rule that states if you choose to bump and as a result of that you make contact to the head you are more likely to be suspended..........if Gibbo had been knocked out then the stupid MRO would more than likely have suspended Harbrow, because they ridiculously base their findings on outcomes, which may lead to a player being seriously hurt one day because they pick and choose what they punish!!! I stand by my comments that there was only one player that was going for the ball.............:rolleyes:

Yep, and once again we see with the AFL that some heads are more "sacrosanct" than others ...

I mean how much more simple can this be? They have a grading system FFS. Contact to the head was made, it was at the very least "careless", impact was "medium" (player had to go off the field to be assessed), contact was "high":
mrp.png

It doesn't matter whether we'd be happy with that if it was one of ours, it doesn't matter whether we think it's "fair", it's a f**king grading system with simple rules. If the rules support the observation, then the penalty should apply.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, and once again we see with the AFL that some heads are more "sacrosanct" than others ...

I mean how much more simple can this be? They have a grading system FFS. Contact to the head was made, it was at the very least "careless", impact was "medium" (player had to go off the field to be assessed), contact was "high":
View attachment 1101590
It doesn't matter whether we'd be happy with that if it was one of ours, it doesn't matter whether we think it's "fair", it's a f**king grading system with simple rules. If the rules support the observation, then the penalty should apply.

What could Harbrow reasonably have done instead?
He was going at the ball. The ball bounced low, he lowered himself and braced. It was just 2 players going at the ball, and Gibbo got unlucky.

Back