2021 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I found myself unexpectedly emotional listening to this.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Duran Duran celebrating 40 years. So who you can find?
Even Vlad makes it.

PoopingHindi

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
can do without the Greentea Peng conspiracy rant in my chill out music…otherwise another solid offering from N O W

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
A 1979 live version of a disco/no wave project Arthur Russell released in 1981 under the name Dinosaur L was quietly released this year Peter Gordon on sax and Julius Eastman on organ among others. Seriously good stuff, genuinely sounds like an electric Miles Davis album.

Lingua Ignota

Spite alone holds me aloft
Jun 29, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
A 1979 live version of a disco/no wave project Arthur Russell released in 1981 under the name Dinosaur L was quietly released this year Peter Gordon on sax and Julius Eastman on organ among others. Seriously good stuff, genuinely sounds like an electric Miles Davis album.

Hell of a write up. Can't wait.

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
Hell of a write up. Can't wait.
It's so different to anything else I've heard from him, and right up there with his studio work IMO.

That being said, it's right up my alley. Like, jazzy improv no wave? Get the * outta here. Finding it felt like the universe had just decided to generate an album based on my listening history algorithms.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
After looking around at a bunch of year end lists, it's confirmed my feelings that this year was pretty poor for music. Even stuff from artists I'm a fan of just didn't hit the mark more often than not. Hopefully next year is better.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Suspended
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
After looking around at a bunch of year end lists, it's confirmed my feelings that this year was pretty poor for music. Even stuff from artists I'm a fan of just didn't hit the mark more often than not. Hopefully next year is better.

I feel a lot of bands came up with some decent returns to form (Mastodon, Between The Buried & Me, Lana Del Rey, Wolves In The Throne Room), but nothing earth-shatteringly good.

Like watching Marc Murphy run around in 2017. A nice surprise, but you just know the end is near.

Trophy Scars and Dvne probably the highlights and neither I have really rinsed to properly form an opinion.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking back at what I downloaded through Apple Music and it wasn't a huge year but I really enjoyed releases from Lorde, Holy Holy, Rufus Du Sol, with Olivia Rodrigo's album probably being the biggest surprise for me.

Roobs321

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
These stood out to me the most. I've mostly been deep-diving 1982 stuff the past 4-5 months so I've probably missed some late '21 quality in that time.

topsters2(1).png

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
This my album for the year. Total relaxation.
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra: Promises
Movement 6 from Promises.

Remove this Banner Ad