2021 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Both the new Foo Fighters and Rubens albums are ok without being great. Kind of album I don’t mind but not sure if I’ll go back often. Though the Rubens is perhaps more of a grower. It’s good to see them change up their sound but I do fear they are losing what made them different and they are starting to sound like many other indie pop bands.
I wish I liked the new FF album. Big fan, Wasting light is one of the best rock albums in recent times. This new one though unfortunately, sucks a herd of dick.

I'm an absolute tragic for the Brit-funk revivalist Aspects by STR4TA (Gilles Peterson & Jean-Paul 'Bluey' Maunick). Great album to play loud and get lost in with that live protean energy. If you are into this sort of thing then definitely pick up a copy.

1616818986211.png

Budjerah's debut EP also came out on Friday as well. Got two extra tracks 'Shoulda Coulda' and 'Pyro' in addition to the singles 'Missing You' and 'Higher'. Only $2.99 on iTunes right now which is a steal if you want to own it. Fantastic soul/R&B pipes on the fella and aptly been under Matt Corby's wing of late.

1616898903425.png

Been some pretty s**t hot jazz albums this year. The main one I keep going back to is this pretty blatant Pharoah Sanders worship (but hey, good person to worship at least)

Will Guthrie has to be one of the best percussionists in the world atm. His double-album with Mark Fell last year was insane, and been enjoying this new collab

Other cool jazz shits

Surprised I haven't posted the new one from Senyawa here yet. Real grower for me. Doom metal/traditional chanting/throat singing vocals meets cool ass homemade bamboo instruments. The band sold a small amount of copies of the album to a shitload of record labels around the world to try to decentralise their music. Pretty cool idea, not a bad way for an experimental act to get exposure beyond their local scene.

Pink Siifu also released a deluxe version of his stellar solo record last year. Also pretty crazy. Some of the most 'punk' music I've ever head.

New Armand Hammer with The Alchemist is predictably great. Initially the divide in quality between Billy Woods and Elucid was really noticeable, but Elucid's been gradually improving. Last song shits me though. Elucid was great up until it, then comes through with some offensively annoying sing-rapping. Yuck. Might just pretend that track doesn't exist, which is mercifully easy, given it's the last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been enjoying Bob Evans’ latest the last few days. Recording sessions last March just before lockdown. 80s heartland/jangle influences. Very easy listen.

Been some pretty sh*t hot jazz albums this year. The main one I keep going back to is this pretty blatant Pharoah Sanders worship (but hey, good person to worship at least)

Will Guthrie has to be one of the best percussionists in the world atm. His double-album with Mark Fell last year was insane, and been enjoying this new collab

Other cool jazz shits

Been returning to this Kuzu album a lot. Really phenomenal free jazz.

Holiday Sidewinder's new album Face of God has been announced for 21st May. Co-created with Nick Littlemore (on his Lab78 records like recent Vlossom and Sumner releases).

She also had a Bandcamp-exclusive standalone charity single last month which is one of her best yet:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back