List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Helps that Draper Grew up as a Collingwood Fan
That's why the Draper selection is even better. We selected a slider who was a top fifteen talent and could have been higher if not for injury, seems down to earth AND went for Collingwood as a kid. Of course, Lippa has shown you can leave the club you supported as a child but it's a good first start.

I'm peeved we didn't look more at Nathan Freeman. I know we had issues with him before but he's grown up. Gold Coast will be nabbing a star. If he doesn't get signed, could we consider a re-draft?

Between the MSD, FA / Trade period, ND and RD we have added the following:

Tall defender: Dean (19)
Small midfielder: Murley (18), Harrison (18}
Medium midfielder: Daicos (18), Draper (18)
Tall midfielder: Lipinski (23)
Medium forward: Johnson (24)
Tall forward: Kreuger (22)
Forward/Ruck: Begg (19)

Our draft position next year is still a little compromised, but we at least come out with our future 1st still in hand and the 3 x future 3rds at least give us some scope to move back into the second round if needs be.

All in all it has been a solid off season and there was a decent spread amongst our additions in terms of positional needs being filled which is a step in the right direction.

Now we just have wait and see how the (larger) group of kids we have comes along over the off season, with some promising signs from our more recent draftees already even though the pre season has only just begun.

Yep....all attention now focuses on the likes of McRae Henry Bianca Ruscoe Kelly T Brown Poulter and others to see how they progress, along with more established youngsters such as Quaynor and J Daicos to see if they can approach the elite level.

It’s a long list of young names and we need a good percentage of them to make the grade.

I'm hoping Reef McInnes shows us why we rated him so highly in last year's draft and turns it on in 2022.

Needs to not get Injured and Build his Tank.

Was not far off Debuting late last season

I'm peeved we didn't look more at Nathan Freeman. I know we had issues with him before but he's grown up. Gold Coast will be nabbing a star. If he doesn't get signed, could we consider a re-draft?

Nah he's still no good - lots of empty touches (especially ineffective pressured 1-2-3-4 style handball chains) in his high possession counts and he's not really damaging at all.

Last edited:
Needs to not get Injured and Build his Tank.

Was not far off Debuting late last season
I was impressed by what I saw in the VFL. Class above with time and skill.
He will be a player.

He won’t make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between the MSD, FA / Trade period, ND and RD we have added the following:

Small midfielder: Murley (18), Harrison (18}
Medium midfielder: Daicos (18), Draper (18)
Medium forward: Johnson (24)
Tall forward: Kreuger (22)

Our draft position next year is still a little compromised, but we at least come out with our future 1st still in hand and the 3 x future 3rds at least give us some scope to move back into the second round if needs be.

All in all it has been a solid off season and there was a decent spread amongst our additions in terms of positional needs being filled which is a step in the right direction.

Now we just have wait and see how the (larger) group of kids we have comes along over the off season, with some promising signs from our more recent draftees already even though the pre season has only just begun.

Add in the players taken last season and it’s a pretty substantial list reshuffle.

Small defender: Chugg
Small midfielder: Murley (18), Harrison (18), Macrae
Medium midfielder: Daicos (18), Draper (18), Poulter, McInnes
Small forward: Ginnivan, McCreery
Medium forward: Johnson (24), Henry
Tall forward: Kreuger (22), McMahon

I like that there’s also some positional flexibility with some of the guys we’ve taken.

Last edited:
Add in the players taken last season and it’s a pretty substantial list reshuffle.

I like that there’s also some positional flexibility with some of the guys we’ve taken.

One minor tweak there - at 193cm both Poulter and Reef would have to be considered to be tall midfielders.

Not to mention third and fourth year players yet to establish themselves… Bianco Murphy Ruscoe Kelly Keane T Briwn etc

The biggest gap there is obviously in key position. Some of those kids just have to come on otherwise we are in trouble. Not totally convinced on small forwards either. Begg as ruck is also highly speculative although we wisely have retained Cox for depth, giving Begg time.

Last edited:

Small defender: Chugg Quaynor
Small midfielder: Murley (18), Harrison (18), Macrae J Daicos Bianco

McInness would be in the tall midfielder category

And when you add in J Daicos, Quaynor and Bianco... that is the nucleus going forth

There are only so many midfield spots considering Adams, Crisp, Grundy are embedded there... so I assume there may be early positional changes for some of the mids like Bianco, McRae, Poulter if they are to make it longer term

I think it’s fair to say with our list turnover in the past two years that the rebuild phase of the rebuild is close to complete. Now we are in the development phase, and the success and speed of success of that development will determine how deeply we need to hit the draft next year.

Hopefully we have great success developing some of these kids quickly (Henry McRae McInnes Daicos in particular but also Lipinski and Krueger to make an impact) and not too many babies need to be thrown out with the bath water. By this time next year hopefully we will have a high quality free agent and a top ten draft pick to round off the rebuild.

The 2 players we got through that pick is Poulter and McMahon.
I'm a fan of Poulter and McMahon is ages away from knowing what we have but not sure either are going to be top 2 pick good.

Even G.Wright was peeved we traded it.
and McCreery I believe. Picks 24 & 30 became 30, 31 and McCreery whatever that pick was.

So it’s turned out McMahon, Poulter and McCreery V possible trade of pick 2 (2022 top 8-10 pick + points for Nick Daicos + a late pick)

Dissapointing the Club has nothing from Hine since end of Day 1 on Wednesday Night

We may hear from him on Monday when the draftees get to the club (assuming the SA boys can get over) we may not.

Don’t forget he’s been pretty much a one man band with GW helping him out since Selwood up and quit. Reckon he’s more than earned a break before getting started on next year’s draft (hopefully with a bit more help).

We may hear from him on Monday when the draftees get to the club (assuming the SA boys can get over) we may not.

Don’t forget he’s been pretty much a one man band with GW helping him out since Selwood up and quit. Reckon he’s more than earned a break before getting started on next year’s draft (hopefully with a bit more help).
yeah the SA boys should be here Monday, given the border between vic/sa is now open.
Better than drafting WA kids, who prob can't arrive in vic until January.

Dissapointing the Club has nothing from Hine since end of Day 1 on Wednesday Night

Not a big deal. If he did speak the transcript would read something like this...

"Nick going at pick 4 was a bonus and gave us the scope to move some picks around which would help us later in the draft and in 2022"
"We didn't expect Arlo to be there with our 2nd pick and knew Essendon liked him so took the opportunity to trade with Geelong to move up to ensure we got a player who we think feels a real need for us, leg speed and skill"
"Cooper was a player we have kept an eye on for quite a while. We feel if it wasn't for injury he would have gone earlier. He is only small but has a real appetite for the contest and like Arlo provides good leg speed and skill"
"Harrison is a bit more of a project player but with elite speed and creativity he is someone we think has the potential to be a good long term prospect"
"We have really liked the way Charlie has built on his game during the VFL season. At 195 he is a good size and we see him as someone who could play in the backline as early as next year. He is a high character kid who will be great to have around our football club"

Not a big deal. If he did speak the transcript would read something like this...

"Nick going at pick 4 was a bonus and gave us the scope to move some picks around which would help us later in the draft and in 2022"
"We didn't expect Arlo to be there with our 2nd pick and knew Essendon liked him so took the opportunity to trade with Geelong to move up to ensure we got a player who we think feels a real need for us, leg speed and skill"
"Cooper was a player we have kept an eye on for quite a while. We feel if it wasn't for injury he would have gone earlier. He is only small but has a real appetite for the contest and like Arlo provides good leg speed and skill"
"Harrison is a bit more of a project player but with elite speed and creativity he is someone we think has the potential to be a good long term prospect"
"We have really liked the way Charlie has built on his game during the VFL season. At 195 he is a good size and we see him as someone who could play in the backline as early as next year. He is a high character kid who will be great to have around our football club"
Just needs a few more more "levers" to be pulled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back