List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We only have 1 Irish player anyway so the rule isn’t really relevant. And I’m pretty sure they swapped Tohill/Keane as cat A/B rookies at some point, which would indicate that Keane can probably be relisted as cat B
which would help with another rookie A spot.

The AFL changed the rule earlier this year.
Previously only 1 Irish recruit could be Cat B. Now 2 can be CatB.
Hence technically Keane could be a Cat B rookie.
Although the transfer from Cat A to Cat B…probably requires AFL approval (not sure if that has ever happened).
That would give us flexibility to delist another player with promise to take in rookie draft…freeing up another primary list spot.

I'm guessing that the only thing the AFL can do is apply the same rules they always have for Cat B rookies.

A) Is the player from a non-AFL background, or an Irish recruit? Yes.

B) Has the player been on the (Cat B) rookie list for three* years or less? Yes.

C) Does the club have a vacant Cat B rookie spot? Yes.

Outcome: Player can be listed as Cat B rookie.

The whole thing about Cat B rookies taking up Cat A list spots was always about Cat B list "overflow", but the rookies themselves were still always classified as Cat B Rookies (even those taking up a Cat A list spot), based on their entry pathway.

TL;DR - Yes, in the end it would require AFL approval but the same would be the case for all Cat B-designated rookies at list lodgement time.

*normally two years, but now all rookies can be retained for a fourth year.

Last edited:

If they can fix his kicking could be a good pick up for anyone looking at a KD.

Yeah I reckon that’s something a club could manage at AFL level.

Not sure it’s ever going to be hugely creative, but at least safe.

When you are bringing a weapon like his intercept mark ability clubs will probably just back that in and find a work around.

A club like the bulldogs would be perfect as I can see Caleb Daniels just wrapping around the back for a quick handball receive every single time.

FMD that was pretty effortless…

I’m starting to think that a club will go very early on him.

That nice springy basketball court floor probably doesn't hurt on a running vertical test, but it's still an impressive leap nonetheless...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr. Soups any idea were our first pick will be after Daicos and who we might draft?
Probably a bit hard to tell atm. By the looks of the trade period we were going for a quick small forward, I quite like Jesse Motlop but might need a pick in the 20’s to get him.

I also really like the idea of picking up Charlie Dean late. We have been watching him for a few years now by all reports. I think it could be a bit of a checkers situation. But I would keep him in defence.

I can't say I'd personally explore any of them, nor would I re-rookie Chugg who was a strange longshot or a choice.

Naish is the most capable of the three, but as per my earlier comments, I see no need to add more outside players. The team needs more contested players stylistically rather than more guys who can't win their own ball in the cases of Naish and Ling. If a midfielder, even if it's someone on the outside is routinely sub 5cp per game, that should be an immediate red flag. Even on the flanks, you really need better than that.
Knightmare,
Talking of an inside mid, have you heard of a WA lad Kade Dittmar?
he was invited to the draft combine. Plays colts for East Perth and U19’s for WA this year.
my son played junior footy with him in Margaret River and I have seen him develop over the years, the bloke is a beast in the middle, a real contested ball winner and one of the hardest trainers you would come across.
Have heard he could be a mid to late pick, would be great for him to be picked up.
His old man Mark is a premiership player for Port in the SANFL.

Knightmare,
he was invited to the draft combine. Plays colts for East Perth and U19’s for WA this year.
my son played junior footy with him in Margaret River and I have seen him develop over the years, the bloke is a beast in the middle, a real contested ball winner and one of the hardest trainers you would come across.
Have heard he could be a mid to late pick, would be great for him to be picked up.

Have seen a lot of Dittmar and he's part of my top-50 power rankings. As per your comments, he's a contested beast. Wins first possession at stoppages. Has some power to him. Brings the pressure around the contest. Has pretty good acceleration. Skills can let him down some though. Overall like his game and see scope at AFL level to be something.

Mid draft I feel like Dittmar would represent value. He's a capable mid and one of the mids Collingwood could consider if available late.

Have seen a lot of Dittmar and he's part of my top-50 power rankings. As per your comments, he's a contested beast. Wins first possession at stoppages. Has some power to him. Brings the pressure around the contest. Has pretty good acceleration. Skills can let him down some though. Overall like his game and see scope at AFL level to be something.

Mid draft I feel like Dittmar would represent value. He's a capable mid and one of the mids Collingwood could consider if available late.
His handball in close is sharp and he makes good decisions, kicking on the run or on the burst let’s him down occasionally. Thanks for the feedback.

Knightmare,
I'm almost certain that Mark Dittmar wasn't a (senior) premiership player with Port Adelaide in the SANFL! I can see that this story is "out there", but I don't believe it's correct! I used to chat to him every now and then at the club (I lived not far from there and was always a Port supporter in the SANFL), and I think he mostly played seconds, with just the odd senior game. Chances are he played in a seconds premiership or two.

I'm almost certain that Mark Dittmar wasn't a (senior) premiership player with Port Adelaide in the SANFL! I can see that this story is "out there", but I don't believe it's correct! I used to chat to him every now and then at the club (I lived not far from there and was always a Port supporter in the SANFL), and I think he mostly played seconds, with just the odd senior game. Chances are he played in a seconds premiership or two.
Oh ok. I have never asked him, just heard the stories from others when talking about Kade. We only ever talked about the footy and the boys playing, didn’t mean to spread any furfies. Mark is a nice bloke, salt of the earth. He coached the lads for a season but was always getting in mischief with the authorities.

Oh ok. I have never asked him, just heard the stories from others when talking about Kade. We only ever talked about the footy and the boys playing, didn’t mean to spread any furfies. Mark is a nice bloke, salt of the earth. He coached the lads for a season but was always getting in mischief with the authorities.
No worries, it says the same thing in this article!! I'm quite sure it isn't correct, but just asked on the Port board and had it pretty much confirmed that it isn't right. Wikipedia has Mark playing 6 games in 1992, but not being a premiership player:
1634452987776.png

I do remember Mark as being a friendly and likeable type, someone who was always happy to have a chat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back