List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Stoked with this draft. Daicos obviously, but getting Draper in the 40s was the best plausible outcome for our second pick, and now we finish off with some KPD depth.

We’ve got a lot to work with from the last two drafts. Hopefully it’s the start of something special. Over to you, Fly.

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
I simply can't get my head around those that completely ignore pick 2 would have been swallowed by North bidding on Daicos.

The only explanation I can imagine is runaway anti-club bias.
I know, but what's the point of going on with it now. I'm not posting any more on this point. Let's just look forward to watching our new breed develop. It' a lot more fun.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I simply can't get my head around those that completely ignore pick 2 would have been swallowed by North bidding on Daicos.

The only explanation I can imagine is runaway anti-club bias.

*If* North bid you can trade out then and maximise the value of the pick.

Anyway its been done to death some think we didn't trade pick 2 like it never existed and others can read and see that is the exact pick we lost.

Let's hope the players we did pick all go on to have fruitful careers.

snagbreac

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City, BHAFC, Washington FT
The pundits talk about "mature age" players - Charlie is only 20years old, so his best footy is ahead of him. Welcome, kid!
No one would blink twice if he was playing an American sport.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know, but what's the point of going on with it now. I'm not posting any more on this point. Let's just look forward to watching our new breed develop. It' a lot more fun.
Hell yes gabbo we have a large crop of talented young kids to watch develop and the tantalizing prospect of another Daicos who at present is projecting to be on a par if not a shade ahead of his old man at the same stage.

How much?
As much as you want. Aside from the fact that it’s incredibly rare that the number 1 pick ends up being the best kid in the country, from my own personal view, he seriously underperformed all year aside from a couple of games, in a comp that the likes of Ben Ken and Aish excelled in.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Relisted Isaac Chugg.

He has speed - let's see what another pre-season and some continuity with games at VFL level can do for him.

Club obviously sees something in him so I'm happy to go with that - hopefully Jen2310 can drag her eyes away from Reef, Nick and Pat for long enough when she is lurking at training to keep a bit of an eye on him for us over the pre-season and see how he is coming along.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes I'm not as upset with it as I seem, more that people are deluded in thinking we didn't lose pick two in that deal.
That it was just a place holder of no relevance to us its mind boggling and I garauntee that if it was Carlton those same people would be shouting from the roof tops that they traded pick 2 for sweet fa.

Yes Poulter and/or McMahon could well make the best of a otherwise bad trade.

WOW, now you’re reduced to throwing a lot of disparate s**t into a blender to try and justify your position.

Firstly, nobody is denying we lost pick 2 in that deal. Hindsight confirms that. It just wasn’t that specific pick that was traded. Nor was it the pick it was broadly expected to be when traded. To suggest otherwise is just rewriting history.

Secondly, Wright indicating he’d prefer we still had the pick going into this years trade-draft period. Well FMD, there’s a shock, a list manager would love pick 2. Nothing in any of that suggests he’d have done anything any different if he was at the club prior to the 2020 trade-draft period.

It all comes down to ladder position and at the time I don't recall ANYONE here definitively stating we would finish 17th.

Lots of rewriting history going on here.
No the real story and the one I was concerned with at the time was that it was very likely we would be in a better position and be able to get a better deal if we held onto the pick

Those concerns were realised. Ended up being one of the worst senarios it could have been. We would have been able to convert the 2021 1st into a good 1st rounder for 2022 as a minimum. When it turned into pick 2 we could have turned it into a high end 2022 1st

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
No the real story and the one I was concerned with at the time was that it was very likely we would be in a better position and be able to get a better deal if we held onto the pick

Those concerns were realised. Ended up being one of the worst senarios it could have been. We would have been able to convert the 2021 1st into a good 1st rounder for 2022 as a minimum. When it turned into pick 2 we could have turned it into a high end 2022 1st
I don't care about anyone's involvement if we had retained pick 2 north would have bid at pick 1.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
It might only be the rookie draft but North using the No.1 pick on a player already tied to the club with 2 years salary to come isn't exactly maximising the opportunity presented.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its EB&W so a random. Don’t you think you should find the interview if you’re being as absolute as you were?

My take without having heard it is he was asked if he would have preferred we still had pick 2 to which he said yeah of course. Anabelle twists it into implying he was disappointed and you twist it further into being peeved! Like I said maybe pump the breaks on it because if it was anything like you said everyone (media, fans, the industry etc) would have been talking about it.

I didn’t think came across upset so much as obstinate in arguing with Spinny. That’s a discussion where we’re all losers because despite respecting his passion I don’t respect his bias.

To explain why I think it’s an utter waste of time. If we don’t trade it Reef probably gets a bid at 15 so no Macrae, no Poulter, no McMahon and possibly no McReery. The best value we can get is trading it into the 2022 draft and if we hold it no way North don’t bid on Daicos at 1. It was a risk it’s looking like we lost on it, but there’s no value in continuing to discuss it.

Saw the interview. Wright said he’d love to still have pick 2. Nothing about it suggested he was peeved.

Back