NCAA 2021 - NCAA - Week 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
update on the baseball. Atlanta had a chance to win the series today and got blown out.

tomorrow Houston can win the series which should give us a game on Sunday.
Othewise if Boston win then no games on TV at all.
Astros won today so there won't be a ALCS Game 7, which should open up the 7AM slot going by your earlier post

You know, every since Secret Base put up the history of the Atlanta Falcons up, I've seen more and more and more attempts at emulating the '91 Glanville Falcons

None of you guys are Deion Sanders. Just give up while you're behind.

I'm just spitballing in my own mind potential divisions of a Big XII (XVI)

East-West is probably the best to keep geographically based.

You can place 5 into the East and 2 into the West instantly

East
1. UCF
2. USF
3. Cincinnati
4. West Virginia
5. Memphis
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???

West
1. Boise State
2. BYU
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???

Leaves Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Houston, SMU, Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech

Geographically, Iowa State, Houston and Kansas are the furthest East, but that splits up Kansas/Kansas State rivalry. I know some conferences have historically done "protected rivalries" just like the SEC atm. However, it just doesnt work beyond that. So I dont think that works. I think if you go the East/West split. You throw Iowa State and the 2 Kansas' into the East, then the 5 Texas schools and Oklahoma State into the west.

This gives us
East
1. UCF
2. USF
3. Cincinnati
4. West Virginia
5. Memphis
6. Iowa State
7. Kansas
8. Kansas State

West
1. Boise State
2. BYU
3. Oklahoma State
4. Houston
5. SMU
6. TCU
7. Texas Tech
8. Baylor

Now what about a North/South splits?
It's a little more straight forward, question is which way does Oklahoma State/Memphis go. I will just say Oklahoma State south (for the rivalry with Texas Tech) and Memphis north (for the rivalry with Cincinnati) - TBH, I didnt know about either of these, but their wiki pages says they're their rivals so there we are. That's what I go with. I also prefer the North/South split due to weather purposes, You keep the cold weather cities together and the warm weather cities together (so it makes me contemplate switching Oklahoma State/Memphis back tbh)

North
1. Boise State
2. BYU
3. Iowa State
4. Kansas
5. Kansas State
6. Cincinnati
7. West Virginia
8. Memphis

South
1. UCF
2. USF
3. Houston
4. SMU
5. TCU
6. Baylor
7. Texas Tech
8. Oklahoma State

Now my 3rd idea. I spoke about "protected rivalries" earlier and how the SEC does it. I wouldn't be opposed to just going similar to the old BigTen Leaders/Legends format. All teams play country wide. Can recruit country wide easier and might be best for these teams actually building to the next step (fans might hate it more though) Split everything up into pairs and but the pairs in opposite divisions, however, those pairs are the rotected rivalries

So lets say we go the NFL/MLB route and go National/American divisions

National
1. Boise State
2. Cincinnati
3. UCF
4. Houston
5. Kansas
6. Oklahoma State
7. TCU
8. Texas Tech

American
1. BYU
2. West Virginia
3. USF
4. Memphis
5. Kansas State
6. Iowa State
7. SMU
8. Baylor

With the protected rivalries being Boise State-BYU, Cincinnati-West Virginia, UCF-USF, Houston-Memphis, Kansas-Kansas State, Oklahoma State-Iowa State, TCU-SMU and Texas Tech-Baylor

Looking at that, my preference would be

1. North/South (only because I'm focusing on weather)
2. Mix-match (I think it would be great for the schools and recruiting)
3. East/West (would be best for fans though)

Now the question is conference championship game.
On one hand, the travel would be so great that say a Boise State vs UCF Conference championship eventuates. The travel for fans would be next to impossible on such short notice and the like. So I dont like campus sites. However, keeping it central could still be a long distance anyway that it could be worse anyway. What type of crowd would we get if we saw Boise State-West Virginia playing in Dallas.

Makes me think trying to get into bed with NFL teams might be the way to go. Could be easier getting to major cities and hubs, but still give that home ground advantage. So go with highest seed, but at a close NFL stadium
Seattle hosts if Boise State is #1
Denver hosts if BYU is #1
Houston hosts if Houston is #1
Dallas hosts if SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor or Oklahoma State is #1
Kansas hosts if Kansas, Kansas State or Iowa State is #1
Nashville hosts if Memphis is #1
Cincinnati hosts if Cincinnati is #1
Pittsburgh hosts if West Virginia is #1
Tampa Bay hosts if USF or UCF is #1

But the logistics of that might be too hard, and I do hate campus sites for a league like this (if it was more regionalised like the MAC, SBC or MWC I would be all for it, just not the Big XII)

So the best option might be a static site. And Dallas is a HUGE American Airlines hub, and it flies to Cincinnati, Orlando, Boise, Tampa, Memphis, Salt Lake City, Houston, Lubbock, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Des Moines etc. The only teams fans who might find it hard are West Virginia. But yeah. Might be the best option of a bad bunch for Conference championship.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Astros won today so there won't be a ALCS Game 7, which should open up the 7AM slot going by your earlier post
Oregon/UCLA will be on at 6:30AM. i think the other baseball game was going to start at 8am when there was still 2 games scheduled, but pushed back to 11 because of it being the only one.

TV guide has already been updated so you can set it to record and sleep in. since its not a great slate of games

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Huge pick for UCLA. 3 mins to go down by 3. Can they upset the ducks?
At 4th and 8, I was gonna say "No, they can't"

But then after the completion, I was gonna say "Yes, maybe they can"

But after the interception on the next play, the answer is definitely: no they can't.

Good game.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A 9 OT game. Perhaps this isn’t the answer either.
Illinois had something like 320 yards rushing and 30 yards passing in regulation time.
- Their QB Sitkowksi literally could not complete a pass. Useless.
- Their O-line bullied Penn State. Repeatedly gashed Penn State for 8,9,10 yard gains. The Illinois running backs had great games.

However, when it got to the sudden death phase of overtime with 2 point conversion plays from the 3 yard line, the Illinois coach decided it would be a good idea to abandon the running game which got them there and hope their QB could complete passes into a crowded end zone. They deserved to lose just for his idiocy.

But the Fighting Illini deserved their win. The refs totally hosed them in the 4th quarter. They put together a sensational 90 yard drive of nothing but run plays culminating in a touchdown off a screen pass.

They were off celebrating their 14-10 lead when the refs decided to throw a flag for "illegal man down field", plus another penalty for Offense PI... Pushed them back 25 yards out of FG range.. *ing bullshiit... But never mind, they overcame this setback, drove back inside the 10 and scored another TD a few plays later... Again the refs threw a late flag, this time for holding... One of the worst holding calls I've ever seen.

They had to settle for a FG which levelled the scores 10-10. It was a *ing joke. Absolutely robbed.

An even bigger joke was #7 Penn State, who couldn't move the ball or score against a defence which wasn't ranked in the top 100 in the NCAA

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Why are Fowler and Herbstreit doing the Oregon UCLA game right now? Is there no national Saturday night game this week?
They were there for gameday. they dont always do the saturday night ABC game. not like Ohio St/Indiana was looking like a better thing. and then the cost to fly them to Ohio for the game. Most of the time if gameday is at the location of a ESPN game they will call that one. even if its a noon or 3:30 kick off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back