Test 2021 New Zealand Tour of England (2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Caps shock the Pommies to the core to be on brink of series win. Gotta say their batting has been deplorable on easy batting tracks the whole series other than for a few. Root has been about the worst offender. Sibley and Lawrence have probably booked their places against India. Crawley and Pope no chance.

I know they're in a rebuild mode and missing a lot of their core players, but the way England and their media was talking before the series you could tell they were under-estimating New Zealand.

In cricket, England still thinks of them as likeable plucky underdogs rather than the world beating team they have become.

I know England didn't take this series as seriously as they could have but it is pretty hard to see them having a competitive away Ashes campaign in the summer.

That top order is just all over the place. Their top order was one of the main reasons they won here in 2010/2011.

Root hasn't made serious runs outside the subcontinent for a while now (apart from that 220). Hasn't scored a ton at home in nearly 3 years.

If we come even close to losing this summer then it may be time to pack up shop when it comes to test cricket.

I know England didn't take this series as seriously as they could have but it is pretty hard to see them having a competitive away Ashes campaign in the summer.

That top order is just all over the place. Their top order was one of the main reasons they won here in 2010/2011.

Root hasn't made serious runs outside the subcontinent for a while now (apart from that 220). Hasn't scored a ton at home in nearly 3 years.

If we come even close to losing this summer then it may be time to pack up shop when it comes to test cricket.
Yup. Australia is not without its issues but England are in a state of fair bother.

Could be interesting - battle of the seamers. Not sure spin will play as much of a role. The main advantage for NZ is that they their batsmen are probably more used to a swinging ball.

India's best team would have both Ashwin and Jadeja in their XI, since Jadeja has taken his batting to a new level in the past 3 years to justify his selection in the XI ahead of Vihari. But I don't think Southampton will have as much assistance to spin. Selecting 4 seamers would leave India with a very long tail, there seems to be rumours that Siraj will be in the playing XI. That means eiher Ishant or Shami gets the axe.

Really interested in how India go about picking their bowlers - whether they go with a 3-2 pace-spin combo or 4 pacers - lone spinner combo, and who their seamers will be. Kohli is renowned for making brainless selection decisions, like dropping Pant at Adelaide, dropping Rahane in South Africa and Pujara in England. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a surprise up his sleeve for the final, to add to his collection of selection blunders in the past.

India's best team would have both Ashwin and Jadeja in their XI, since Jadeja has taken his batting to a new level in the past 3 years to justify his selection in the XI ahead of Vihari. But I don't think Southampton will have as much assistance to spin. Selecting 4 seamers would leave India with a very long tail, there seems to be rumours that Siraj will be in the playing XI. That means eiher Ishant or Shami gets the axe.

Really interested in how India go about picking their bowlers - whether they go with a 3-2 pace-spin combo or 4 pacers - lone spinner combo, and who their seamers will be. Kohli is renowned for making brainless selection decisions, like dropping Pant at Adelaide, dropping Rahane in South Africa and Pujara in England. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a surprise up his sleeve for the final, to add to his collection of selection blunders in the past.

Would have Ashwin in - showed in Australia what he can do on flat pitches and not that far behind Jadeja with the bat. Wouldn't drop Ishant given his previous experience in England.

He might even drop himself based on his current test form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have Ashwin in - showed in Australia what he can do on flat pitches and not that far behind Jadeja with the bat. Wouldn't drop Ishant given his previous experience in England.

Yup. My team would be

Gill
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli (c)
Rahane
Pant (wk)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ishant
Siraj
Bumrah

Shami is a hit the deck bowler and might be useful in Australia but has always struggled in England. His natural length is a bit short to get the edge in english conditions.

Yup. My team would be

Gill
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli (c)
Rahane
Pant (wk)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ishant
Siraj
Bumrah

Shami is a hit the deck bowler and might be useful in Australia but has always struggled in England. His natural length is a bit short to get the edge in english conditions.
Jadeja and Ashwin are both world class spinners, but if the pitch isn't spin friendly at all, I think you can only play one. I'd Personally go with Ashwin, which would leave Jadeja very unlucky. It'd leave a long tail, but a second spinner might only bowl 10 overs an innings which is a waste IMO.

thing with both India’s spinners is that even on unhelpful surfaces they offer control that not many other spinners do so if they can bad jadeja at 7 and Pant at 6 it gives them scope to do it

Jadeja and Ashwin are both world class spinners, but if the pitch isn't spin friendly at all, I think you can only play one. I'd Personally go with Ashwin, which would leave Jadeja very unlucky. It'd leave a long tail, but a second spinner might only bowl 10 overs an innings which is a waste IMO.

I'm picking Jadeja as a batsman and not as a bowler per se. With his red hot form, he will contribute more than whatever the other alternative Vihari would do anyway.

For me, it's very simple. If it's a green seamer, then 3 seamers should be enough and if they aren't sufficient enough to do a job, then there's no point picking a 4th seamer and further weakening your batting on a greentop. If it's a flat wicket, an extra spinner will always help, and the wicket might break up in the end where the extra spinner will be helpful. After having performed so well in the WTC, it would be very hard on Jadeja to leave him out of the playing XI imo.

To provide some context, these are Jadeja's stats in the last 3 years.

jadeja.jpg

I'm picking Jadeja as a batsman and not as a bowler per se. With his red hot form, he will contribute more than whatever the other alternative Vihari would do anyway.

For me, it's very simple. If it's a green seamer, then 3 seamers should be enough and if they aren't sufficient enough to do a job, then there's no point picking a 4th seamer and further weakening your batting on a greentop. If it's a flat wicket, an extra spinner will always help, and the wicket might break up in the end where the extra spinner will be helpful. After having performed so well in the WTC, it would be very hard on Jadeja to leave him out of the playing XI imo.

To provide some context, these are Jadeja's stats in the last 3 years.

View attachment 1154417
Didn't realise he was averaging that much with the bat. Makes sense then, it would be near impossible to leave him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back