Test 2021 New Zealand Tour of England (2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Starts tonight at 8pm AEST on Fox Cricket and Kayo in Australia. This series which is not part of the Future Tours Program nor is it part of the World Test Championship is essentially being used as a warm-up by both teams. For New Zealand it's preparation for their World Test Championship Final later this month against India while England coach Chris Silverwood has made some strange comments basically saying this and to a lesser extent the 5-test India series are warm-ups for the Ashes.

That is reflected in their squad with every England player who was involved in the IPL apart from Sam Billings rested from the series. This means no Stokes, no Bairstow, no Buttler, no Archer, no Curran, no Woakes. From the squad picked it looks like a pretty obvious XI with the only real question being who will be the 3rd seamer with Ollie Robinson the front-runner to make his debut. Ben Foakes injuring himself has opened up a debut for keeper James Bracey.

England (possible): 1 Rory Burns, 2 Dom Sibley, 3 Zak Crawley, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Ollie Pope, 6 Dan Lawrence, 7 James Bracey (wk), 8 Ollie Robinson/Craig Overton, 9 Jack Leach, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson

New Zealand are only missing Boult who arrives in England on Friday having been given time to spend in NZ after having to quarantine upon leaving the IPL. Williamson confirmed Devon Conway (who was born in and spent his first 26 years in South Africa) will make his test debut opening the batting, beating out Will Young and incumbent Tom Blundell.

New Zealand (possible): 1 Tom Latham, 2 Devon Conway, 3 Kane Williamson (capt), 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Henry Nicholls, 6 BJ Watling (wk), 7 Colin de Grandhomme/Daryl Mitchell, 8 Mitchell Santner/Matt Henry, 9 Kyle Jamieson, 10 Tim Southee, 11 Neil Wagner

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
Tom Blundell is a bit stiff to miss but I guess Conway deserves his spot

I was impressed with Olly Stone in the India series, but I haven't been keeping up with county scores so I guess he's fallen out of favour seeing as he's not a swing bowler.

New Zealand should win this series, they are full strength bar one and are playing a severely depleted England. Worrying signs if they lose this series as they will be called flat track bullies and wasting a spot in the final.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I reckon if England play Broad and Anderson together plus a bowler (at least one, possibly 2 instead of Leach) with a bit of heat they will knock the Kiwis over for a low scoring series.

Who knows the priority of playing Broad and Anderson together for this series though.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Tom Blundell is a bit stiff to miss but I guess Conway deserves his spot

I was impressed with Olly Stone in the India series, but I haven't been keeping up with county scores so I guess he's fallen out of favour seeing as he's not a swing bowler.

New Zealand should win this series, they are full strength bar one and are playing a severely depleted England. Worrying signs if they lose this series as they will be called flat track bullies and wasting a spot in the final.
Stone is in the squad and could play if they want to go an all pace attack or instead of Robinson but that leaves them with a fairly long tail which England usually don't do. Or they could play Mark Wood, what would I know?

England have been installed at the bookies as a reasonably heavy favourite for both this match and the series which I find a little perplexing. I'm with you I think NZ probably should win.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Not sure I'd have NZ favourites, they are closer to full strength than England but England still have some experienced high quality players in Root, Broad and Anderson and they are playing at home.

It will be interesting to see how Conway goes, he has been impressive in the ODIs and T20s that he's played but test cricket is a much sterner test.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Mouth watering series on offer here. Shame it's succumbed to the two-Test syndrome.

Meanwhile Ireland vs Netherlands will be another close contest.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Ross Taylor must be ancient by now. Reckon I wasn't even in high school when he started playing.

England should win. Only playing minnows.
Taylor at 37 won't even be the oldest player in the match.

andrewmillman

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looking forward to this, sunny day at beautiful lord's (the new grandstands look great) - enjoy everyone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Browney2006

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Sportsbet paying $1.91 for a wicket keeper to take a catch in all 4 innings - assuming we get 4 innings that seems like decent odds

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
2 Match Test series are generally not that profitable. England is also playing a 5 test series against India next month. 8 test matches in one summer is a bit much.
This series is basically only happening to keep the broadcasters happy. It's all about money.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Conway finally facing some deliveries after Latham has hogged the strike, not a bad thing though to give the new guy some time out there to settle in.

Wish this was a 3/4 test series.

Yeah it should be a 3 test series at least, 2 test series are a waste of time especially if it ends up being 1-1 and there is no decider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back